Bike wash

Active Monkey

Cant seem to find this topic.

How often and how do you wash your bike? What products do you use? How long does it take?

What do you do if you come from a bad muddy ride and dont have tome to wash?

What are the absolute do' and dont's

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wsh after every single ride unless its laet at night and i am riding the next day.

geneally use clean green or prepsol if i have some in the house, witha std garden hose, no high pressure washer>>>>EVER!!!!!. if it really muddy and i dont have time to do a full wash its a quick hose down to get all the crap off before my next ride is a bare minimum. generally give the bike a wash and dry with a towl and a little baby oil on the frame to make sure it shines like a showroom model, drivechain gets a full degrease once or twice a month and then fresh grease where required and some dry lube on the chain in case i forget before i start my next ride.

has worked for me for 5 years and i generally have the cleanest looking bike at the start of each ride.

my mrs bike get the same as mine when used.

road bikes get the same treatment but less frequently as the are generally cleaner than our MTB's.

Edited by DaddyG

petrol on the chain and cassette, sunlight liquid on the shiny bits, and rinse it off with the hose set to it's highest pressure. Take care to really direct that spray into the bearings.

Takes about 5 minutes.

Every weekend.

I wunder where the rinsed off gunk goes, do you let it soak into the ground, drain into the street...or?

:oops:

Wherever the hell it wants to go. Down the nearest drain I assume.

Wherever the hell it wants to go. Down the nearest drain I assume.

Into the wife's flower bed or your vegetable garden?

Into the wife's flower bed or your vegetable garden?

Ya, that petrol and sunlight mix is an awesome weed killer. Works quite well on ants as well.

petrol on the chain and cassette, sunlight liquid on the shiny bits, and rinse it off with the hose set to it's highest pressure. Take care to really direct that spray into the bearings.

Takes about 5 minutes.

Every weekend.

are you competing with Barry Hilton?

Cellar, think you missed a key ingredient - Diesel spray on all moving parts(especially on the disc rotors). Just for a good lube.

Edited by MeridaHFS aka Bulls

Look no further NAM http://namgear.co.za/

In Cape Town Revolution cycles stock it and clean all their serviced bikes with it.

follow instructions and be amazed. thank, please revert when you do. Im sure you will be thanking me.

3 mins to clean a filthy bike 2 mins to clean chain.

local too win win

Don't use a high pressure spray.

1000 riders at the Epic seem to accept the high pressure workout by inexperienced washers at that. When using a pressure washer turn the spray onto more of a mist spray but never spray hubs, bb's or headsets. Buy a set of bike specific brushes and a coarse hair paintbrush.

I use car shampoo with a bucket and sponge, no hose for me on my Trance because of the suspension points.

I finish with Mr Min and a quick lube of various parts should they require it.

Regardless of how the bike frame looks all moving parts are always well maintained.

No keen on long walks home....