(Update) Absa Cape Epic: Evans and Knox penalised for unfair advantage

News bot

Not only the "shortcut" but as is mentioned swearing at other riders on the trail when they complained. :thumbdown:

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2c from a mtb noob: what he did is wrong, but I think the punishment is too hash. 10min would be appropriate imo.

Edited by GaryvdM

My 2c from a mtb noob: what he did is wrong, but I think the punishment is too hash. 10min would be appropriate imo.

And how do you calculate that....is there a formula, what would the rule be....nah, too grey

I think the bigger problem here is how the team reacted. They would obviously have seen this footage last night already but all over twitter they complain about double standards and they got screwed for cutting 5 metres.

Looking at the footage it is clear as day that he gained an advantage. If they came out and said, **** sorry guys Kevin had a brainfart and we accept the penalty, this thread would have been over on page 1 already...

Agree 100%, we all know people make mistakes, it's how you deal with them that shows your true nature. This whole thing is actually very out of character for Kevin, probably one of the nicest professional sportsmen around... ???

Perhap once the emotions settle he will say sorry guys I had a brainfart.

(Still feeling so sorry for Max.. he has been so consistent throughout the week)

Ha, the problem was this single track stuff they were forced to ride on yesterday. Unused to it (this is the Epic after all) and not realising it was there for fun and part of the route (yes really!), Kevin tried to avoid the obstacle, as any good MTBér would. It's all the organiser's fault for sticking een spoor into a dirt road race. I mean really.

Perhap once the emotions settle he will say sorry guys I had a brainfart.

(Still feeling so sorry for Max.. he has been so consistent throughout the week)

Not really him that were chirping and stirring....

Edited by rouxtjie

Not only the "shortcut" but as is mentioned swearing at other riders on the trail when they complained. :thumbdown:

Where did u hear that, all I heard was a F... when it looks like he had to dismount or stop before joining the single track

bad move on KE's part.......but I wouldnt want to inherit the leaders jersey as a result, Fedgroup were beating Scott fair and square, its a pity this incident led to a change in the leaders jersey - hollow victory by scott now.......

whats happening with BS's R150k ticket?

Guest Smimby

What did he want to do that for? And what makes him so special to want to jump so many places......why not wait for and open section to pass?

bad move on KE's part.......but I wouldnt want to inherit the leaders jersey as a result, Fedgroup were beating Scott fair and square, its a pity this incident led to a change in the leaders jersey - hollow victory by scott now.......

whats happening with BS's R150k ticket?

Were they, the go pro says otherwise.

Kevin Evans@kevinevansracin 6m

-@AbsaCapeEpic my intention was to pass outcasts who get in the way. Not to gain 6 places. Apologies for upsetting anyone.

How many outcasts was there in front of him? I did not see any on the video... And it was a long line of riders, no one was getting in the way

5m my ass, that is a lot more, its not the people in front of him's fault that he was in that situation and that they were to slow and he lost his patience and then decided ahh well, lets take a shortcut here and pass atleast 6 guys infront of him, believe me I am a fan of Evans, but he was in that situation for a reason and if he wanted to avoid it he had to push harder from the start. I also dont think 1hr penalty is too harsh, he wont try it again and hopefully no one else. I also saw the guys taking a shortcut on the Prologue and they should have also been penalized in some way.

http://ewn.co.za/Media/2014/03/28/Evans-illegal-shortcut-at-Absa-Cape-Epic