Do you ride a 26er?

Guest dirkieuys

Surely 26ers don't exist anymore. 27.5 makes sense,but frame design and innovation has come on leaps and bounds,so the only reason for having a 26er is pure nostalgia

so why can't 26er s be designed with modern geometry......

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own 1 of the 1st 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon frames to be imported into SA, back when Santa Cruz was just a town in the US....hahaha!

It originally came out with a 80mm Fox Terralogic fork, which I still have on the frame. And v-brakes. Have upgraded to discs & XT wheel set. Very happy with my 26er !!

#santacruz #cameleon

Surely 26ers don't exist anymore. 27.5 makes sense,but frame design and innovation has come on leaps and bounds,so the only reason for having a 26er is pure nostalgia

Greg Minnaar said in an interview on Super Cycling that they did all the comparative tests between 26 and 27.5 at Santa Cruz: There was no difference in speed or times. Six months later SC launched the "new" 27.5 V10. Why? Because SC is a business that need to sell the "newest and greatest" of today, regardless of whether it is better. The same goes for the whole bike industry.

It's all marketing and BS. You can keep drinking the cool aid, but there are no real difference between 26 and 27.5.

Edited by Samurai Pizza Cat

I used to have a 26er. We all did.But c'mon 29er just marketing bull$? Really? Are we really back in 2009? Why not bring back v-brakes and coil shocks? Better even, Penny farthing anyone?

I used to have a 26er. We all did.But c'mon 29er just marketing bull$? Really? Are we really back in 2009? Why not bring back v-brakes and coil shocks? Better even, Penny farthing anyone?

I do not believe that the argument is against all wheel sizes other than 26'ers are marketing hyped sales driven drivel.

The argument is that there are some exceptional 26'ers out there and some still coming out by manufactures that have not buried the wheel format.

No matter the wheel size, you get great bikes and you get really kaka bikes.

Just the post from earlier today had a tone to it that seemed like it was taken from one of our great local bicycling magazines circa 2012 and simply regurgitated by comparison to an observation of bicycles on car racks in pta East.

Sorry to the poster if I am coming across a little ruff.

The only problem with 26ers is the difficulty in finding new, good quality forks, rims and tyres these days in SA - even if you are in the bicycle industry. So what's going to happen with the millions of 26ers which have been sold over the past few decades?

Yes, I still own a few.

A few weeks back i was at BeNeLux mtb champs and the course was extremely tight and technical.After the first ride of the course many of the guys on 29ers started looking for 26 or 27.5 frames.

Sponsored guys on 29ers suffered and had to push way more than they would have liked to.

Each frame size has it's place and depends on your riding style and terrain.

No one said anything about 29ers , read my post again.

The only problem with 26ers is the difficulty in finding new, good quality forks, rims and tyres these days in SA - even if you are in the bicycle industry. So what's going to happen with the millions of 26ers which have been sold over the past few decades?

Yes, I still own a few.

I'll keep mine for my kids one day.

If for some reason i need to buy a new bike i'll go 27.5 but still hold onto my 26ers.

ps...i had a 27.5 that i sold to go back to 26er.

I own 1 of the 1st 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon frames to be imported into SA, back when Santa Cruz was just a town in the US....hahaha!

It originally came out with a 80mm Fox Terralogic fork, which I still have on the frame. And v-brakes. Have upgraded to discs & XT wheel set. Very happy with my 26er !!

#santacruz #cameleon

It's about the bike that puts a smile on your face everytime you ride it :thumbup: :thumbup: Edited by gummibear