Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the top-end Trek bikes are made in the US. Most are built in China or Taiwan.

It's the first one that came to mind as its boldly written on the bike. Ive owned two treks, both low end and both had hand made

It will not be considered a deceptive practice for a marketer to make an unqualified U.S. origin claim if, at the time it makes the claim, the marketer possesses and relies upon competent and reliable evidence that: (1) U.S. manufacturing costs constitute 75% of the manufacturing costs for the product; and (2) the product was last substantially transformed in the United States.[2] Easy to do when the manufacturing costs are low. This is applicable to the "Made in USA" slogan not Trek bikes per say

:offtopic: :oops:

Wow what a way to start your Hub Life, or shall we just say, Hello and welcome to the Hub people from Cycle Science?

Mmmmm, I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. A weak effort from CS to direct attention away from themselves????

Edited by PeterF

All this attention for a fake bike! I wonder if all you "Fake Bike Activitists" out there put this much effort into bigger issues like the state of our roads, corruption, etolls, rape, farm murders, the secrecy bill, the state of our nation etc. or are you silent and complacent on these issues.

I am actually taking a different line of thinking.

This is what I am thinking about.

How many more of you are there on top of that compost heap ?

I have been told that there are only 6 or 7 companies in the world that make carbon frames, cycle manufacturers design and have their frames built by these few companies, but us consumers can buy the exact same frame from those companies for a lot less and we can even have these frames painted to match the more expensive ones, is this true? I am considering bringing in a frame for a custom build, would I be making a big mistake?

Well, no need to go ant further then............

A R50k budget won't get you a Dogma frame but it will get you a fake with DA or Record parts.

The fake scams are pretty bad this side of the pond to.to a point where i often wonder if the guy in front or next to me is on a Pinarello or Chinarello :eek:

Guy in front of you is on a China and the guy next to you on a Pina...lol

All this attention for a fake bike! I wonder if all you "Fake Bike Activitists" out there put this much effort into bigger issues like the state of our roads, corruption, etolls, rape, farm murders, the secrecy bill, the state of our nation etc. or are you silent and complacent on these issues.

With a first post like that I really doubt he'll be around till Friday fight club starts... I give him till end of business today and he's gone and trolled elsewhere :ph34r:

Edited by MeridaHFS aka Bulls

Corruption = https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/134449-nkandla-report/page__hl__corruption__st__192

E Tolls = https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/133515-e-tolls-coming-3-december-2013-will-you-buy-a-tag/page__st__2016__hl__tag#entry2259576

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125828-toll-roads/page__st__160__hl__road%20maintenance#entry1935001

roads = https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/128702-i-have-a-question-for-our-resident-road-engineer/page__st__32__hl__road%20maintenance#entry2002422

farm murders = https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/136923-triple-farm-murder-doesnt-even-make-the-news/page__hl__farm+murders

secrecy bill = too far back to get the thread, but was discussed. The proposed nationalisation of miniral rights is much more current = https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/137198-quasi-nationalisation-of-mineral-and-energy-resources/page__hl__secrecy+bill

state of the nation = https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/136319-apartheid-created-sas-problems-zuma/page__hl__state+of+the+nation

Hint: If you hit the search button, you will see that we discuss most things current on here.

The cycling industry is relatively small, and when a retailer comes up with this type of bullstront, much like the price fixing scandal of a few years back, we do more than just sit up and notice.

I for one am proud to be involved in a pro active community where this type of fraud is not only exposed, but dealt with properly.

I hope for CS's and the cycling industry's sake that this is not just the tip of the iceberg. If it turns out that say 25% of our bikes out there are fakes the industry will see a major shake-up and many more will do time for the crime.

I am actually taking a different line of thinking.

This is what I am thinking about.

How many more of you are there on top of that compost heap ?

In soo much of agreement!

Something that strikes me about the whole debacle is the fact that fake bikes seem quite common. Not so with the Honda Fireblade mentioned earlier - no Chinese fakes I am aware of. This poses the question - why? Simple - a motorbike is a complex piece of machinery - not simply a frame you can hang some components on and therefore not something you can produce out of any old shed. All this quality checking Golefty mentions is really neither here nor there - surely all motorcycles are checked just as much before they go out the door? Notwithstanding this, they are sold at what appears to be good value compared to a carbon push bike.

I am also aware that Scott carbon bikes like the Spark 910 have a cost price in the twenties but are sold for a lot more than that new. To what extent have the bike companies created the problem themselves by charging such ridiculous prices for bikes?

If Dogma's were a fraction of the price I'd buy one and Mr Fake would be out of business. Pinarello would also sell a lot more bikes.

Don't lets start talking about MTB tyres...

Something that strikes me about the whole debacle is the fact that fake bikes seem quite common. Not so with the Honda Fireblade mentioned earlier - no Chinese fakes I am aware of. This poses the question - why? Simple - a motorbike is a complex piece of machinery - not simply a frame you can hang some components on and therefore not something you can produce out of any old shed. All this quality checking Golefty mentions is really neither here nor there - surely all motorcycles are checked just as much before they go out the door? Notwithstanding this, they are sold at what appears to be good value compared to a carbon push bike.

I am also aware that Scott carbon bikes like the Spark 910 have a cost price in the twenties but are sold for a lot more than that new. To what extent have the bike companies created the problem themselves by charging such ridiculous prices for bikes?

If Dogma's were a fraction of the price I'd buy one and Mr Fake would be out of business. Pinarello would also sell a lot more bikes.

lets ask our wives tonight how they would feel if they have their engagement rings appraised by a jeweler and it turns out to be a fake diamond!

Note: Perhaps make sure its a real diamond before asking her how she feels about a fake one.

Pretty please can someone create a second hub profile, we can not let this thread slow down or die.

Just to clarify, I never stated that the added quality checks add value, merely that they allow the bicycle brand owner to ensure they are getting a consistent product that will carry their name. Even that is no guarantee against failure and certainly does not equate to value.

One reason why carbon fibre bicycles cost stupid money is because carbon fibre is stupid expensive.I recently sepnt R2500 on about 5m^2 of 90 to 230 gr carbon cloth and vectran for a slope soaring RC gliders wing. There more material and wastage in a bicycle frame + mould costs but ya, R70K for a bicycle frame is just stupid money. Kudos to those who can afford to blow that on a bicycle frame but its morally wrong that is what it can cost

All this attention for a fake bike! I wonder if all you "Fake Bike "Activitists" out there put this much effort into bigger issues like the state of our roads, corruption, etolls, rape, farm murders, the secrecy bill, the state of our nation etc. or are you silent and complacent on these issues."

Dumn-ass