Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

a New Zealander that is literate! Rare species

He is more South African than you as it appears.

The man just happens to love that side of the world, and has more scruples than you and both your mates combined.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like eating popcorn so early in the morning :(

Try Jelly Babies, they going down faster that a home sick mole :P

I spoke to Robbie and here are the facts: they were all fully aware and totally informed that the pinarellos we're not genuine prior to the purchase. Despite being wealthy they wanted to save money but still have the designer label. After being humiliated in Australia and forced(?) to buy a new bike he develops a sense of indignation and self righteousness and exacts revenge by going the cowardly route and contacting carte Blanche, regardless of the fact that he is jeopardizing someone's livelihood. He only has himself to blame. No one put a gun to his head. Take responsibility!

When you are done with these, can I have a go?

PS: How's Nkandla looking?

post-30868-0-46286200-1396855941_thumb.jpg

not sure if its been asked, but do you think Cycle Science bought the Campy groupset from ASG? If they did and then fitted it on a fake Pina, that's a real slap in the face.....

J & J import campy.

Not ASG.

U can't sell fakes. Regardless if you tell the buyer or not. That's just asking for ****.

The fong kong bike was sold for 90k.

A legit bike was bought in Aus for 80k.

The dude from ASG, reckons that it would sell here for 150k.

Its not just Cycle Science that are ripping people off, its ASG as well. Yes I understand that people are entitled to make money and earn a living and blah. But the bike shop in Aus is also making money and earning a living and blah.

But to have to pay double the amount in SA - is just disgusting.

To the judgemental idiot guy, a couple of pages earlier, who said that he wouldn't have spent 90k with a guy wearing baggies and a t-shirt, yeah because well dressed people never rip people off, or sell fong kongs //sarcasm off//

No Crazy Child, the frame ,wheels and bar was what he paid the 80 for.

there starting point should of been to assist the client (AA) by refunding him.

I am not suggesting that they should of : (1) brushed everything under the carpet and act like nothing happened (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense) or (2) "start from scratch" and be honest from now on (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense)?

but in sorting out AA they would of been in better position to then approach the other clients who they sold fakes to.

I still think they should own up and refund the clients - its never tooooo late for this.

I agree 100% about refunding customers. But this brings in an interesting question; if you do something illegal, should you actually make right by your clients AND hand yourself over to police? Or only the former? It's a whole different topic so let's not get sidetracked.

It's a trend is SA business, public office and perhaps life in general.

Perhaps it starts at home, from a very young age where the parents need to teach honour, ethics and respect towards others.

Telling them that if they did something where they knew they did wrong, they should also feel very guilty about it.

These guys seem to have sold quite a few fakes if I go according to this thread and CB last night.

What is beyond me however, how much steel do you have to have in your balls not thinking that you might get caught ?

How the hell do they sleep at night ?

Sometimes I don't tip a car guard simply because he was nowhere near when I arrived, but when I left he was going for gold in car guard gymnastics.

These guys I don't tip, and even then leave there feeling a bit bad.

I agree 100% about refunding customers. But this brings in an interesting question; if you do something illegal, should you actually make right by your clients AND hand yourself over to police? Or only the former? It's a whole different topic so let's not get sidetracked.

refund all clients and make amends for their actions apologise to clients and start afresh with a clean slate and never repeat these actions !!

:offtopic: Flame suit on..... so a pretty good fake carbon knock off frame from china cost about 9k (U$800). Is a genuine 50k (or whatever) frame that much better quality or are bike manufacturers ripping the ring out it? Most of them are made in the far east anyway. (eg: Cannodale Scalpel is "made in china") Just asking

Good question. However bear in mind that development costs loads of cash and there is also the question of quality of materials, tooling/mold costs and distribution overheads. Looks like it's cheaper to buy in Australia. There is no doubt that bicycles are expensive here but we cannot compare our prices to say Australia's prices without knowing the duties or taxes they pay to import bikes etc.

I posted a link last night explaining the selling of fakes under S.A. law.

If that is understood to be correct, they are in a whole world of trouble.

Maybe this has been asked or mentioned in all these pages, but just a question, don't crucify me please:

Let's say you do end up buying a "grey" product, in today's day and age it is very possible that one can get the frame from the same factory, but without a serial number. So, if you bought a 91k bike with a grey/fake frame, it is quite possible that you can end up paying the price, based on the components you have on the bike, ie, fake frame 20k, plus top of the rage components.

Would that change the argument if the buyer were told that he or she is buying a grey import?

No because even if the frame came from the same factory or even out of the same moulds, at some point in the production it was rejected as having not met the quality standards for a Pinarello. That can be due to a number of reasons / production flaws. Its only a Pinarello if it passes all the quality assurance tests and standards. THAT is what you pay for, even if it is a little excessive....

A Pinarello gets a serial number because it met those standrads. That's why its a Pinarello. A similar frame without the serial number did not, even if it says Pinarello on the down tube.

its even scarier if the frame still has to be painted because it means that it likely did not even meet the production standard i.e. its dangerous as hell to ride as it it is likely to fail.

The only way Pinarello can effectively stampe ths out is to move production back in house, but then the profitability takes a knock and investors don't like that!

Fake Fakes are copies. Genuine frames are taken, cleaned up and a mould is made up of the frame. The mould is then used to manufacture fake frames but generally these frames will have obvious blemishes as finishing a mould (especially the polishing) is a very labour intensive process and therefore not cheap either if you want to manufacture a lot of fake frames.

tooling and moulds for carbon bike frames are also very expensive to the point that making a mould means there's little point in copying a frame that way. Its much easier to take a reject and complete it with generic finishing kit (bb cups, headset, dropouts, cable guides etc)

Perhaps it starts at home, from a very young age where the parents need to teach honour, ethics and respect towards others.

Telling them that if they did something where they knew they did wrong, they should also feel very guilty about it.

These guys seem to have sold quite a few fakes if I go according to this thread and CB last night.

Honesty is the best policy, always. However difficult it may be.

Not living in Joburg, can someone please give some info.

From what I saw on Telly last night, the shop looked pretty ordinary with no big name brands (other than Inelli) on their shop sign. The bikes outside the shop looked cheap, the owners sounded like they ran a fish n chips shop. Why would you walk into Cycle Science and be willing to drop a chunk of cash there? Are they a known Pinarello dealer? Have they been around for a long time?

If I was in the market for a 90k bike, I'm sorry, but I would not chose CS as my preferred bike shop for a Pinarello. What made the guys that got taken buy from Cycle Science?