Joburg2C on SS

militarac

Just playing with idea to do Joberg2c race on SS anybody done it,if so can i get few tips please :w00t:

Thank you

Hi militarac, I'm also doing my first Joberg2C on singlespeed rigid this year, my female partner is riding on a normal geared bike though.

I would say you need to at least take a few gears with, I'm taking 34T(32T as spare) with 16,17 & 19T cogs for the various days which I worked out. I also tried to train in Knysna for while to see whats possible for which gear ratio's etc. We are currently training about 15-17 hours per week for the next week or so still which varies from 70-160km training rides which helps me to test out my ratio's. The thing I realised the most is that my partner and I climb rather well and normally on the flats she'll sit behind me and we would gun it when I still rode geared. Now that low flying on the flats is a bit more difficult for me(and for her as well) and we quite miss that.

Most important thing is to know the route, you've probably done the Sani2C before so you are familiar with the last 3 days, the first 2 days are relatively flat so my only challenge will be day 3 to 6 which is a bit unknown to me.

Grant Usher helped me tremendously with the SS and the gear ratio's and he should be there as well.

Militarac, give it a rest! We are not changing sprockets for you every day.....

Take the Dale...... :devil:

I remember Grant tweeting after one of their really good days at the 2012 J2C that SS was just another bike choice. I think that's the right mindset to have.

Last year there was a team that used 34 x18 on first 3 days and i pressume moved to 32 x18 for the climbing days .If you are strong 36 x18 will work fine for the flatter days . The problem is that it is 9 days and if your gearing is to high your knees are not going to last.If it was me i would start with 36 x18 and move up as the climbing days get closer .There are long fast streches on the whole route

Edited by Blitzer

There are quite a few riding ss this year.

There were probably 10 last year that rode ss.

• 1 month later...

Just playing with idea to do Joberg2c race on SS anybody done it,if so can i get few tips please :w00t:

Thank you

Plenty guys have done J2C on SS. Ask Grant Usher, Nic White et al.

There are quite a few riding ss this year.

There were probably 10 last year that rode ss.

OP: Did you go with the SS?

And HUGE congratulations to Grant Usher for what he achieved solo this year. :clap:

3rd place on a SS!!! :thumbup:

You have to admire the guy.

OP: Did you go with the SS?

And HUGE congratulations to Grant Usher for what he achieved solo this year. :clap:

3rd place on a SS!!! :thumbup:

You have to admire the guy.

Yes i did and was great only on few places i need to do 3rd gear :w00t: (push)

First two days 34x16 and then 32x 18,8 day 32x 20,and last day 32x18(could do with 16 lots of flats).

i came 133 GC and 39 in my cat

There was about 8 ss riders

post-11349-0-30855500-1399895761_thumb.jpg

Yes i did and was great only on few places i need to do 3rd gear :w00t: (push)

First two days 34x16 and then 32x 18,8 day 32x 20,and last day 32x18(could do with 16 lots of flats).

i came 133 GC and 39 in my cat

There was about 8 ss riders

Well done dude...hazeldean farm...think I slept in the same spot as you in 2013

I did Sani2c SS. 32 up front. 17, 19, 18 at the rear on days 1, 2, 3

Race? And what batch on day 1.. rode with a few ss guys on day 1

Who was the lady on a pink SS this year? She rode with pink stripy socks too,

She could pedal a bike

Who was the lady on a pink SS this year? She rode with pink stripy socks too,

She could pedal a bike

Short Black hair, Brite pink On-one and great pair of legs?

More than likely Nats