Where have all the real men gone

scotty

So yesterday while i was battling the koppies round Irene a friend who iv'e recently introduced to cycling decided to go for a cycle, riding along Atlas road towards Bonearo Park she gets a flat, iv'e given her the theory of changing a tube and i had made sure she had all the requirements, but she struggled with it in practice, do you think 1 of the cyclist (MTB and road) that passed her offered to help, nil, not one. She eventually had to walk quite a distance to the garage and call someone to fetch her.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right off the bat I will say ,, I would have helped and I have helped in the past, (even loaded the bike on my van as the lady did not have what we needed) but .....you shouldn't be riding alone if you can't do simple repairs it's more dangerous and irresponsible to rely and hope for the help of today's useless "men " who would pass a damsel in distress in fact a lady should be quicker to change her tyre and be on her way for obvious reasons???

I ride that road a lot and find it bizarre that no one stopped. Its a popular route and has riders from all levels on it not just stravaphiles.

I would have stopped for her as i have done for many others.Not only ladies but helped a few guys to.

I almost always stop to help a fellow cyclist and hope someone will do the same if i'm in need one day.

Gave a guy a lift home one day that had broken his chain and a few spokes.Ended up doing a few rides with him after that to.

Considering the "look out for each other" attitude amongst most cyclists I'm quite shocked that no one stopped to help, or just wait with her while she changed the tube - but that said I doubt anyone would have said no if she actually asked for help - yes you shouldn't need to.

Right off the bat I will say ,, I would have helped and I have helped in the past, (even loaded the bike on my van as the lady did not have what we needed) but .....you shouldn't be riding alone if you can't do simple repairs it's more dangerous and irresponsible to rely and hope for the help of today's useless "men " who would pass a damsel in distress in fact a lady should be quicker to change her tyre and be on her way for obvious reasons???

I have given her the theory of it, but she battled to get the tire off the rim, had she been able to i have no doubt she would have been able to fix it herself.

I have the last real man.. sorry.

But that's rather poor.. this topic or kind of topic has come up before.. it's rather sad that on that particular day no one stopped to help. I have said before that because of the lack of mechanical issues I have also never had to actually apply the theory of fixing things so I may also one day find myself stranded.. I like to think I would manage but can't be 100%sure ha ha .

Added thanks to my run of bad luck lately.. mtb biggest concern would be if someone would stop and help my bleeding self on the side of the road.

Edited by Gen

Here is the deal though...flamesuit on

To stop and help someone cost money...real money ito tubes, plugs, bombs, patch repair kit, sealant(mini stans bottle that I carry with me). Lets take this weekend for example.

Friday...did a cruise around the cradle, coming down to lion park, saw a female stranded with deer in headlights look. Stopped and asked, she replied she has a puncture...Ok dokey aunty...do you have tyre levers? No, do you have a spare tube? No, Do you have a bomb and adapter? No, Do you have a puncture repair kit? No. But she some insane mutlitool with a glow in the dark alien head lol.

Sigh, remove her tube, find puncture and piece of glas causing puncture..patch and solution...put back and bomb up.

Yesterday...spruit @8 with the lads....just outside the botanical gardens, 2 females with same deer in headlights look...Stopped and asked...puncture that sealant cant fix. Do you have plugs? No...Do you have bombs and adapter? No. Do you have a some sealant in little bottle since yours is running dry? No.

Sigh...plug it, add some sealant through valve core, and bomb it. Aunties off on their merry way

In neither of the incidents did they ask if they can replace what I used to get them rolling again, once the punctures were fixed they couldn't wait to get on their bikes again as fast as possible. So being a good guy cost me a patch and some solution, 2 bombs, half a bottle sealant. Lets call it R100. Now I will carry on being the nice guy for ladies but for the guys....aikona....Take a foot brother. That will be the last time you forgot to bring the spares mentioned above and to the ladies...maybe just an offer to replace whatever I used would be cool, I won't take you up on the offer but it shows some gratitude and less expectation that I MUST do it cause I am a guy.

That is sad indeed :(

I also always stop and ask if someone needs assistance. Cyclist or biker. It's time that we as South Africans get our heads out of our backsides and help our fellow South Africans in need and stop looking the other way.

To stop and help someone cost money...real money ito tubes, plugs, bombs, patch repair kit, sealant(mini stans bottle that I carry with me). Lets take this weekend for example.

Friday...did a cruise around the cradle, coming down to lion park, saw a female stranded with deer in headlights look. Stopped and asked, she replied she has a puncture...Ok dokey aunty...do you have tyre levers? No, do you have a spare tube? No, Do you have a bomb and adapter? No, Do you have a puncture repair kit? No. But she some insane mutlitool with a glow in the dark alien head lol.

Sigh, remove her tube, find puncture and piece of glas causing puncture..patch and solution...put back and bomb up.

Yesterday...spruit @8 with the lads....just outside the botanical gardens, 2 females with same deer in headlights look...Stopped and asked...puncture that sealant cant fix. Do you have plugs? No...Do you have bombs and adapter? No. Do you have a some sealant in little bottle since yours is running dry? No.

Sigh...plug it, add some sealant through valve core, and bomb it. Aunties off on their merry way

In neither of the incidents did they ask if they can replace what I used to get them rolling again, once the punctures were fixed they couldn't wait to get on their bikes again as fast as possible. So being a good guy cost me a patch and some solution, 2 bombs, half a bottle sealant. Lets call it R100. Now I will carry on being the nice guy for ladies but for the guys....aikona....Take a foot brother. That will be the last time you forgot to bring the spares mentioned above and to the ladies...maybe just an offer to replace whatever I used would be cool, I won't take you up on the offer but it shows some gratitude and less expectation that I MUST do it cause I am a guy.

Thanks for holding our names high ,i have to agree on the spares issue .Sometimes they have spares for the wrong type of valve and then you are stuck

She had

Tyre levers

Spare tube

Pump

Multi Function tool kit

Cell Phone

Pretty much everything you need to go for short +/- 20km road ride.

Edited by scotty

She had

Tyre levers

Spare tube

Pump

Multi Function tool kit

Cell Phone

Pretty much everything you need to go for short +/- 20km road ride.

fantastic, I have no issue helping a stranded lady, even better if she has her own spares like above. Then its a pleasant affair. I get grumpy when I use a tube and a bomb and don't even get a thanks. But like I said earlier, will always stop for a lady no matter what...but the manne...its not the seals meneer. klap n toon

I think it may be time for her to sit and try changing a tyre a few times at home, unfortunately punctures are a part of cycling, women want equality, and should be able to do basic maintenance(very basic), like tyre change, chain repair, etc

No excuse that a woman cannot do it, and seriously, if she wants to ride alone, she should have mastered the basics by now, otherwise she is tempting fate.

Just for the record, i have stopped to help many times.