Rogue Riding

MoreTrails

Just received this info from the guys at W2W, from my point of view I can't disagree with what has been put in place. Anyways, in the interest of keeping all informed, have a look below:

A short but very important notice re. unauthorised riding on private property and farms. For example; on the Houwhoek Tour and W2W Routes the only trails which are open to the public are the Schapenberg, Grabouw, Oak Valley, Paul Cluver-Thandi and Hermanus Trails. The rest of the routes are strictly off limit for MTB, except during these events.

Unfortunately a small group of arrogant, selfish and stupid rogue mountain bikers trespass on private property, whenever and wherever they wish, resulting in angry land owners, tarnished relations between event organisers and owners and eventually trails been closed permanently. Therefore landowners, event organisers and route coordinators decided to act seriously against such rogue riders. It was decided that rogue riders will be prosecuted for trespassing and be banned for at least three years from all MTB Events in the Western Cape (incl. FNB Wines2Whales, ABSA Cape Epic, and MTB Events organised by MTB Adventures, Dirtopia and PPA).

This ruling also applies to rogue riders who cycle on public MTB Trails, without bike boards / no payment / no membership.

As a member of the larger and responsible MTB fraternity, please assist us by communicating and expressing your anti-rogue riding opinion and by notifying us of anyone involved in such bad practices. We have managed to create some of the best trails and relations with landowners, which are constantly undermined by a small group of arrogant riders. Assist us to kick them out of MTB and to grow this amazing sport with responsible and like minded riders.

Safe and responsible riding okes - its worth a thought....

Edited by MoreTrails

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the guys ride the routes during a race and then later on just go where they want, when they want! Or are there still route markers left from races that people just follow?

We have had races in the Magalies area that make use of painted arrows on rocks (and they last a long, long time!) etc so you cant really blame a rider for just following what they may perceive to be a legitimate route? Its not only unsightly but does lead to trespassing issues and landowners gettting annoyed.

Hi Moretrails

Perhaps edit your post to eliminate the duplicated parts?

Btw I agree. It will take just a few landowners to make a few examples of rogue riders to have an impact! Good. I support them because to turn a blind eye will eventually stuff it up for all the good guys too.

Sounds like guys are hitting the routes pre/post event. Once you know the route you don't need the markers, and a fair amount of the markers are placed solely for the event.

Basically okes thinking they can just ride the route, and f^&*k everyone else "cause it is there for me to ride".

As far as I am aware, the only route that is open year round is the Freedom Challenge, and even there there are some contentious crossings DURING the event...

Nobody wants strangers riding around their yard or across their front lawn; except for the size of their yards or lawns farmers are no different. Trespassing should have consequences!

Edited by Tractor

Hi Moretrails

Perhaps edit your post to eliminate the duplicated parts?

Btw I agree. It will take just a few landowners to make a few examples of rogue riders to have an impact! Good. I support them because to turn a blind eye will eventually stuff it up for all the good guys too.

Howzit, ja something weird happened there....will sort it out. Shot!

Howzit, ja something weird happened there....will sort it out. Shot!

Bloody computers, they sometimes do have a mind of their own. :D

Ist of all encouraging someone to shoot a trespasser is saying its ok to commit a very serious crime in reaction to a rather minor crime. In the more sophisticated societies, there is a right to roam. Do you really believe the land/ earth belongs to you? Its been around for several billion yrs and you and I only a very short time ( maybe a hundred yrs). I think the land owners need to relax a bit, I DO NOT encourage trespassing, but unless there is an actual threat to you or damage to your property, why the big fuss? I would personally rather pay for access but the places who have allowed mtb access have actually benefitted in their security and problem reporting ( like forest fires etc.)

Ist of all encouraging someone to shoot a trespasser is saying its ok to commit a very serious crime in reaction to a rather minor crime. In the more sophisticated societies, there is a right to roam. Do you really believe the land/ earth belongs to you? Its been around for several billion yrs and you and I only a very short time ( maybe a hundred yrs). I think the land owners need to relax a bit, I DO NOT encourage trespassing, but unless there is an actual threat to you or damage to your property, why the big fuss? I would personally rather pay for access but the places who have allowed mtb access have actually benefitted in their security and problem reporting ( like forest fires etc.)

Next time I am up in Gauteng, can I hop over your fence, pitch a tent for a couple of days and braai to feed myself?

Share the earth- that kind of stuff.

"the fuss" is quite simple really and justified. I'm a landowner and yes, while I do not own the earth the farm belongs to me. iow private property. But that aside.

For you to ride on my property you need to indemnify me in the case of you falling off your bike and injuring yourself. Otherwise I'm at risk of public liability and its a risk I'm not willing to take on.

It costs money to build and maintain trails.

Trails need to be managed.

So as a result riders need to purchase a permit to indemnify the landowners and to contribute toward maintaining the trails and the enviroment they're in.

Take my word for it, there's very little "benefit" for the landowner.

Edited by Hellwarp

What is the point regarding bike boards on public MTB trails. Not sure i understand this issue. Do you have to pay to ride on public routes, or are these private routes that are open to a paying public.

If so i agree with the banning and payment terms. I would not want people cycling past my house or over my land without an agreement from my side. Aside from the whole "we only rent everything in this lifetime" esoteric debate.

Be brave enough to post your address so anyone who feels like it can come and crap on your front lawn!

i attended the meeting Johan is referring to. The catalyst was the episode with the rider in Durbanville which resulted in the farmer closing off the trails on his land to the Tygerberg Mtb members.

There isn't any land around that doesn't belong to anyone. Ask for permission nicely and more often than not, you will be allowed access. Just don't think because you got permission once, you are entitled to ride there anytime.

Having said that, I would want to encourage Tygerberg Mtb to look at their honesty box system. I have been to Meerendal twice in the last month and both times there was nobody in attendance to give me a receipt for my payment. How am I supposed to prove that that I am not a rogue rider and paid my fee?

i attended the meeting Johan is referring to. The catalyst was the episode with the rider in Durbanville which resulted in the farmer closing off the trails on his land to the Tygerberg Mtb members.

There isn't any land around that doesn't belong to anyone. Ask for permission nicely and more often than not, you will be allowed access. Just don't think because you got permission once, you are entitled to ride there anytime.

Having said that, I would want to encourage Tygerberg Mtb to look at their honesty box system. I have been to Meerendal twice in the last month and both times there was nobody in attendance to give me a receipt for my payment. How am I supposed to prove that that I am not a rogue rider and paid my fee?

I initial the paper money before I put it into the box

Same old story of a few a-holes spoiling it for the rest of us.

The situation in Hermanus is the same, where some guys ride the trails without paying. in fact, they REFUSE to pay the 300 bucks PER YEAR...

I think that prosecuting a few trespassers would stop this unacceptable behavior once and for all.

Thought about something like that too.

At Oak Lane there is a receipt book next to the payment box. You write your own.

Still relies on honesty, but at least you can get some proof of payment.