Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I am afraid of... I had have big plans..... 

Might actually just clean it, put it back together and go thrash it in the bush.... Forgo the restoration for now.....

I said that of the DT, but I just cant bring myself round to taking it off-road.

If I were you, I would buy a CRF230. Will be as good (probably slightly better) than your XR, you won't cringe if you ride through a bush and scratch it, and if you break a spoke, you won't have to wait ages to find a replacement!

Andyman, I sorta got my grubby paws on a accident damaged FZR1000Exup.

Not too sure what is damaged, what is beyond repair, and what is salvageable.

I know the forks is / was busted, and obviously the fairings.

My question to you is, where is my best bet to start to source the pieces most often damaged in an accident / crash.

edit: This bike was in my BIL's workshop for many years. He recently passed, and my Sister gave the bike (or what's left of it) to me.

I would dearly love to get it up and running again. Not looking at getting it back to showroom, but at least rideable and dependable.

Edited by Wannabe

Andyman, I sorta got my grubby paws on a accident damaged FZR1000Exup.

Not too sure what is damaged, what is beyond repair, and what is salvageable.

I know the forks is / was busted, and obviously the fairings.

My question to you is, where is my best bet to start to source the pieces most often damaged in an accident / crash.

edit: This bike was in my BIL's workshop for many years. He recently passed, and my Sister gave the bike (or what's left of it) to me.

I would dearly love to get it up and running again. Not looking at getting it back to showroom, but at least rideable and dependable.

You're in CT, so the first thing I would do is get hold of Gary Koster (I will PM you his number).  He's ex-Yamaha Technical Academy, and also Yamaha SA Technical Manager.  Really decent guy.  He will give you a good assessment and let you know what it repairable, and what you'll need to replace.  Then from there it's scouring facebook, olx, gumtree and ananzi for parts.  If you are not too worried about originality, my guess is there will be a few later model Yamaha's you could steal parts off - especially forks.

I fully agree with this review.. I have a 2016 390 Duke, and oh Boy its got a lot of power. Light,nimble and very Fast!! 

I just cant help myself pushing it past 150km/ph on the highway ( and even then, it just wants to go faster)...Only downside, the fuel tank is a bit small...

Dammit, Lexx. Now you have me thinking. 

Dammit, Lexx. Now you have me thinking. 

Ha ha ha. I cant remember when last I had to use my car to get to work. Best Part is, when I had to fill up my tank yesterday, it only cost me R110..  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

I maybe fill up twice a month. :thumbup:

Ha ha ha. I cant remember when last I had to use my car to get to work. Best Part is, when I had to fill up my tank yesterday, it only cost me R110..  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

I maybe fill up twice a month. :thumbup:

if it weren't for me taking my lightie to school in the mornings, I'd be on a bike... 

Andyman, thanks for the info.

Funny that you recommend Gary Koster, he used to be my neighbor, so I know him quite well. He will be my go to man then.

Was thinking of trying to fit the R6 forks to the FZR, should not be too difficult to do, and will be a decent upgrade.

Edited by Wannabe

Ok guys, I sold my Triumph to buy my Dad's Fazer600 - I think in the last year, I have ridden it twice.  it's a brilliant bike, but I just don't see myself commuting to KGDP on a motorbike anymore - it's just getting too scary.  And if I need to pop down to the shops, or to Que Sera for breakfast, I take the DT.

So - anyone looking for a brilliant commuter?  2007 FZ6, bought new, 25000km.  I paid R40k, so I will look to at least recover that.

post-15215-0-59905600-1470294731_thumb.jpg