Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going for mine soon, onlyhave a learners.

Would love to hear aboutyour experience if you dont mind.

Did mine past 30 as well.

If you can get a class at the BMW rider academy it helps a lot. You know what to do, and where to do what.

Just relax on the day, and make sure you understand what you need to do, just make sure you KNOW WHAT to do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Go for at least one lessonof, even if you can ride. Also if you can use thw driving schools bike. It givesis some peace of mind to the guyargus doing the test with you.

Take your time, you do not get penalized. You will use your cycling experience, especially with the emergency stop and swerve. And the left turn as well. Test took me about 10 mins and paperwprk after that 45min.

According to the instructor, for thesale riding that I will be doing most, I should look for a nc750, rather than a gs....

1190 Adventure R isn't being produced anymore if what I've heard is true. End of last year saw a lot of deals on 2016 bikes. April is supposed to see the arrival of the long awaited 1090 Adventure R (According to dealers anyway...)

All boils down to what you are looking for. I've been looking for a while and my requirements were a dual sport bike that can handle the tech stuff that is WAY off the beaten track but still capable of doing multi-day trips. I don't want to be worried about how far apart filling stations are either so a descent amount of fuel on board was important.

Cost was also a driving factor. I am unfortunately not in the position to drop R100k+ on a bike so I obviously had to look second hand.

I ended up getting an older KTM 640 Adventure R (2003). More than up to the task when it comes to the technical stuff. Came with soft luggage and racks for this multi-day trips. 28lt fuel on board so that gets me about 400km. I am not interested in cruising at anything more that 130-140 kph on the highway so no issues there either.

Spares wise, cost might be slightly more than their Japanese counterparts. If they don't have, it can be here in 1,5 weeks. (For interest sake agents filters are cheaper than aftermarket and the agent had stock where the aftermarket had to order in...) I have also not had a bad experience with my dealer of choice. Always friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

I don't commute on mine. It's for weekend fun. I realise that I am going to have to tinker on it but that's not an issue for me. It came with a few battle scars but I have a plan to make it look good again. That process started last weekend...

I stoked to see youve pulled the trigger on an older 640. I'm going the same route during the last few months of 2017 (kitchen takes priority atm). My reasoning is. I want a bike that is super capable, and if I do drop it in a tech section, it's not a train smash to pick up(I'm not a big chap).

I stoked to see youve pulled the trigger on an older 640. I'm going the same route during the last few months of 2017 (kitchen takes priority atm). My reasoning is. I want a bike that is super capable, and if I do drop it in a tech section, it's not a train smash to pick up(I'm not a big chap).

To add to that I'd like to do a strip amd rebuild before really using it for adventures. My cousin is and ex KTM mac so he will be roped in to help.

To add to that I'd like to do a strip amd rebuild before really using it for adventures. My cousin is and ex KTM mac so he will be roped in to help.

I am headed down the same road... Basically this is what it looked like when I got it (It has a few scratches and stuff. Previous owner put it down on the road into Zingela and left a few scars):

post-17843-0-70306300-1490598805_thumb.jpg

Picture was taken at the view site overlooking Inanda Dam.

And this is what it looks like now.....:

post-17843-0-65913100-1490598809_thumb.jpg

Lost the clutch on that ride and suspected a bearing failure under the clutch slave which was confirmed when we took the slave off. So motor is out and off to a mechanic that knows his way around the LC4 to change that bearing and a few others while the engine is open.

While I wait for the engine to come back, the plane is to sort out the cosmetics and have a look at everything else (Swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, wiring loom etc as well as do a bit of bead blasting and beautifying)

I was supposed to ride it a bit first and enjoy it before the big tear down but things don't always go according to plan!

I am headed down the same road... Basically this is what it looked like when I got it (It has a few scratches and stuff. Previous owner put it down on the road into Zingela and left a few scars):

20170312_142508.jpg

Picture was taken at the view site overlooking Inanda Dam.

And this is what it looks like now.....:

20170320_071101.jpg

Lost the clutch on that ride and suspected a bearing failure under the clutch slave which was confirmed when we took the slave off. So motor is out and off to a mechanic that knows his way around the LC4 to change that bearing and a few others while the engine is open.

While I wait for the engine to come back, the plane is to sort out the cosmetics and have a look at everything else (Swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, wiring loom etc as well as do a bit of bead blasting and beautifying)

I was supposed to ride it a bit first and enjoy it before the big tear down but things don't always go according to plan!

Great minds, Grebel. Great minds.

Honestly, I think you're doing the right thing as far as piece of mind goes. Last thing you want is mechanical issues while you're miles from home. Also the strip and build is going to give you the knowledge required should you have to do bush repairs for whatever reason.

Sweet ride dude. SWEET RIDE!

Great minds, Grebel. Great minds.

Honestly, I think you're doing the right thing as far as piece of mind goes. Last thing you want is mechanical issues while you're miles from home. Also the strip and build is going to give you the knowledge required should you have to do bush repairs for whatever reason.

Sweet ride dude. SWEET RIDE!

Absoluteyly! No doubt about it. I have already found a few things that I am not overly happy about. (Could be my OCD coming through...) Need to drop a few Mandelas on bolts for one. KTM use a specific type of bolt and I want them all to be OEM bolts. A normal M6 bolt or caphead will do the job perfectly well but it isn't a KTM bolt...

On the list of things to do are the rear wheel bearings are in need of replacement as well. Finished build a small blasting cabinet this weekend so want to glass blast the swing arm and a few other bits as well as strip the wheels, get the rims anodized black and relace them to freshly painted hubs. The luggage racks will get a coat of paint as well as the rear sets and the sub frame. Exhaust will get polished and the radiators are coming off to be flushed and repainted. Plastics are going to get painted and new set of decals are on order. Wiring loon needs to be check for chafing and all connectors will be split and checked (One thing KTM are not renowned for was the wiring on the 640!) Carb strip and clean and then it all has to go back together again...

Will post a pic when it's done  :thumbup:

Good luck with your search for a 640 man. They are unfortunately becoming increasingly difficult to find. Guys that have them realise that they are still a good bike (Although they can have their moments ;) ) Over on Wilddogs and Adventure Rider they have a cult type following and I think that they will increase in value as time goes by. I reckon that they could be classified as one of the cult adventure bikes. Not too much choice currently in the 650 adventure class unfortunately.

Friend of mine has one and he has been looking at getting a new bike for a while. He has ridden a few over the last few years trying to find a replacement and his words were "They all go alright but I keep coming back to the 640. I don't think I am going to find a bike that will replace it"

Absoluteyly! No doubt about it. I have already found a few things that I am not overly happy about. (Could be my OCD coming through...) Need to drop a few Mandelas on bolts for one. KTM use a specific type of bolt and I want them all to be OEM bolts. A normal M6 bolt or caphead will do the job perfectly well but it isn't a KTM bolt...

On the list of things to do are the rear wheel bearings are in need of replacement as well. Finished build a small blasting cabinet this weekend so want to glass blast the swing arm and a few other bits as well as strip the wheels, get the rims anodized black and relace them to freshly painted hubs. The luggage racks will get a coat of paint as well as the rear sets and the sub frame. Exhaust will get polished and the radiators are coming off to be flushed and repainted. Plastics are going to get painted and new set of decals are on order. Wiring loon needs to be check for chafing and all connectors will be split and checked (One thing KTM are not renowned for was the wiring on the 640!) Carb strip and clean and then it all has to go back together again...

Will post a pic when it's done :thumbup:

Good luck with your search for a 640 man. They are unfortunately becoming increasingly difficult to find. Guys that have them realise that they are still a good bike (Although they can have their moments ;) ) Over on Wilddogs and Adventure Rider they have a cult type following and I think that they will increase in value as time goes by. I reckon that they could be classified as one of the cult adventure bikes. Not too much choice currently in the 650 adventure class unfortunately.

Friend of mine has one and he has been looking at getting a new bike for a while. He has ridden a few over the last few years trying to find a replacement and his words were "They all go alright but I keep coming back to the 640. I don't think I am going to find a bike that will replace it"

Joh. That's a propper job right there. Good luck with the rebuild. Keep us posted.

excelent choice!!! hands down one of the best bike I have owned. (I have had them all barring 1190)

Im hunting for my next one. the 690 is disipointing and the 500 is great.

ANd I managed to get my licence in November... at the tender age of 44. Been riding all my life.

well done. 

I grew up on a karoo farm so rode my first bike at the age of 12. but nothing of this looking everywhere except on the road thing. 

I'm glad there is a little 640 appreciation society here.  I have an '06 Adv almost stock that I have put 10 000km on and pretty happy. Sure, they are a little sluggish, vibrate,could do with a 6th gear and fiddly to work on - oil changes etc. Fit a good bash plate to protect the cartridge filter and, if it is well ridden, check the main important wiring for chafing - protect as needed (these 2 things have let me down).  Low front mudguard can clog in mud. They like being run regularly otherwise battery, seals etc seem to be troublesome- just done the water pump - spares were not too bad and quick (KTM Dbn).  You can get a KTM bolt kit for not too much money.

Fantastic resource on AdvRider.