Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Congrats!

Yeah the restricted is a bit nerve-wracking. So much that they assess.

What area did you do yours in? (I did the west area, starting at Westgate)

Did you go on a RideForever bronze before the test?

I did mine in Botany, so we took a ride through East Tamaki and Maraetai/Beachlands.

I did the bronze on the wednesday and the restricted on the saturday. 

Actually went to VTNZ this morning to convert.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did mine in Botany, so we took a ride through East Tamaki and Maraetai/Beachlands.

I did the bronze on the wednesday and the restricted on the saturday. 

Actually went to VTNZ this morning to convert.

Ah awesome! Yeah I did my bronze course out east, but only booking I could get for restricted was west. Still learnt so much on the Bronze course. We should go do a silver course sometime once my bike is back from Christchurch.

Well done to you two.

But on another topic, who here is watching the Dakar and who knows how to stream it without DSTV?

I've hardly followed the Dakar since it got cancelled that one year and moved across the pond. Not sure why I lost interest.

Its a really really great event though, I must get back into it.

Edit: Sorry, more to your question, I don't know... 

Edited by CBlake

I've hardly followed the Dakar since it got cancelled that one year and moved across the pond. Not sure why I lost interest.

Its a really really great event though, I must get back into it.

Edit: Sorry, more to your question, I don't know... 

You really should watch it. The scenery is unbelievable, locals friendly and the riding out of this world. 

Well done to you two.

But on another topic, who here is watching the Dakar and who knows how to stream it without DSTV?

Go have a look for the Dakar App. Been using it for the last three years. Daily update videos for all the categories so you can only watch what you are interested in (trucks/cars/bikes etc). You can follow your favourite rider/driver as well and they do live updates as the stage progresses.

RedbullTV also doing daily highlights videos but expect that to be a bit Redbull team biased.

In case you are interested, there is also a WRC app that works quite well.

Andy, I can get a '88 or '89 model FZR250Genesis for an excellent price. Current owner says motor is still fine, but not running due to "electrical" issue (wiring apparently)

I think if I can get it going, it will make a great little runaround untill such time I can source and build a 350LC motor. Question is, can you get harnesses for it, should it need a harness replacement.

I also have a broker ( friend) that specializes in motorcycle insurance. Lemme know, and I can PM his deets to you. Unsurpassed service.

Could you PM me his details.

I got a guy at work who was quoted R7700pm on a Kawasaki Z1000 SX valued at R170k he is only 27.

Edited by Spoke101

I got a guy at work who was quoted R7700pm on a Kawasaki Z1000 SX valued at R170k he is only 27.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

I pay 350pm through a broker on a KTM 1290 Super Adventure valued at almost the same.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I once got quoted a similar amount for a Mini JCW GP, it was almost double what I was paying the bank for finance!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I once got quoted a similar amount for a Mini JCW GP, it was almost double what I was paying the bank for finance!

Haha, its madness one quote was 9k so self insure and you could buy a new one in 18 months.

Andy, I can get a '88 or '89 model FZR250Genesis for an excellent price. Current owner says motor is still fine, but not running due to "electrical" issue (wiring apparently)

I think if I can get it going, it will make a great little runaround untill such time I can source and build a 350LC motor. Question is, can you get harnesses for it, should it need a harness replacement.

Ooh I'm always a bit skeptical of "electrical issues" - after all, a piston escaping the block and knocking off the spark plug cap could also be labelled as electrical!

Jokes aside, I've never had any issues with wiring harnesses themselves - it's usually one of the components - in this case most likely on of the coils, or maybe even the CDI.  And the 250's were very rare in SA so chances of you finding any spares locally are slim.  Tough one to be honest - I'd really need a bit more info on the electrical issue!

Ooh I'm always a bit skeptical of "electrical issues" - after all, a piston escaping the block and knocking off the spark plug cap could also be labelled as electrical!

Jokes aside, I've never had any issues with wiring harnesses themselves - it's usually one of the components - in this case most likely on of the coils, or maybe even the CDI.  And the 250's were very rare in SA so chances of you finding any spares locally are slim.  Tough one to be honest - I'd really need a bit more info on the electrical issue!

But as a basis for the future 350LC transplant, good call or not? 

I can get it cheap enough to warrant it standing till I get my ducks in a row for the 'stroker build. 

Cancel, bike just got listed as "SOLD"

Edited by Wannabe

That’s crazy. Also be careful of the excess. I found a cheaper insurance than OUTsurance but the excess is R2500 or 10% of the claim compared to OUTsurance R3300 excess. If OUTsurance changes excess to R20k (what it will be with other place if SDR is stolen) then they are much cheaper.

I picked up a project commuter this weekend..

KLE500, needs a bit of tlc but otherwise ok.

I will update with pics once its a bit more presentable!

My wife wants a Dakar but I've been trying to get her to change her mind to either a DR650 or one of these KLE 500's. They are very nice smaller dual purpose bikes.