Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

There were a few models that were red with gold pinstripes but the majority of them were all black with gold.

I got this tank off a guy who raced in the 60's and figured I would pay homage to his original paint scheme so I got the guy to match it as close as possible.  Not one for the purists that's for sure.  But then the while bike is a bit of a mongrel so i'm not too worried

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys that's pretty much it - its off to the "Seat guy" this week and hopefully the last of the painted bits and chromed bits will be finished too.  It's been quite stressful, but also quite a laugh at times.  I'm already planning something new - just need to find the right donor bike.....

post-15215-0-78586400-1515995041_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-49052500-1515995059_thumb.jpg

Calling on the knowledge of the hub!!

My wife decided that the time is getting closer to where she wants to start riding her own bike. 

Yeah and aaa in one sentence, but any time spend with her is time well spend. 

The problem...... 

She is 1,55 meters short, and weighs 47 Kg. There is absolutely now way how she can ride a GS or "traditional" tourer.  

I suggested we look at a 250 cbr or similar because they are low, thin and not to heavy. 

But in her mind we will be going on hard core adventure rides and then we wont be able to do a gravel ride. 

Any idees at what bikes I can have a look? 

Looking great, Andymann.

Enjoy riding the old lady. You are keeping her, right?

Yup - going to keep it - even if I did want to sell it, it's not worth anything really - to a collector its a bastard, and it's probably not all that practical on or off-road.  So it will stand in the garage and remind me of the fun I had with my dad building it!

Has she ever ridden before or will this be her first bike?

back in school she had a JOC50. and she says that she did ride a farm bike once or twice....

Ok so first I'm ex-Yamaha so there will be bias ;-) but when I was with them I was part of learn to ride team which did a lot of first time rider training especially for ladies - the bike of choice was the TTR125 - very tame, but more than enough power for first timers.  Nice and light, and importantly, electric start. Unfortunately they are off-road only.  However, the XTZ125 uses the same engine, and is road legal (the Honda XR125/150 will also be a brilliant start).  If she is a little more experienced you could look for an XT250 (the new one not the old 80's version) - the Honda XR250 Tornado is also a brilliant bike.   And the bonus is that if for whatever reason she doesn't like riding, you will be able to sell both the Honda or the Yamaha quite easily.  And if she does take to riding, then you can start looking at the bigger bikes - Kawasaki has just launched a new Versys 300 - which looks to be absolutely brilliant.

If you are going to ride on-road only - a little gem which is overlooked is the R-150 Yamaha-better than the CBR125 and because they were not popular, can be had used for under R20000.  The Suzuki GSX-150 is also very nice.

My wife decided that the time is getting closer to where she wants to start riding her own bike. 

The problem...... 

She is 1,55 meters short, and weighs 47 Kg. There is absolutely now way how she can ride a GS or "traditional" tourer.  

I suggested we look at a 250 cbr or similar because they are low, thin and not to heavy. 

But in her mind we will be going on hard core adventure rides and then we wont be able to do a gravel ride. 

The new BMW 310 adventure bike?  that looks like it might fit the bill?

The new BMW 310 adventure bike?  that looks like it might fit the bill?

Yes what I can see it seems to be a great bike. 

Only problem is R80 000. But definitely an option in a year or 4. 

Ok so first I'm ex-Yamaha so there will be bias ;-) but when I was with them I was part of learn to ride team which did a lot of first time rider training especially for ladies - the bike of choice was the TTR125 - very tame, but more than enough power for first timers.  Nice and light, and importantly, electric start. Unfortunately they are off-road only.  However, the XTZ125 uses the same engine, and is road legal (the Honda XR125/150 will also be a brilliant start).  If she is a little more experienced you could look for an XT250 (the new one not the old 80's version) - the Honda XR250 Tornado is also a brilliant bike.   And the bonus is that if for whatever reason she doesn't like riding, you will be able to sell both the Honda or the Yamaha quite easily.  And if she does take to riding, then you can start looking at the bigger bikes - Kawasaki has just launched a new Versys 300 - which looks to be absolutely brilliant.

If you are going to ride on-road only - a little gem which is overlooked is the R-150 Yamaha-better than the CBR125 and because they were not popular, can be had used for under R20000.  The Suzuki GSX-150 is also very nice.

Thank you andyman

I will have a look at these ones. 

One of my colleagues gave me a number for the guy who thought his wife. Apparently a retired speed cop.

I guess the "big brands" will be able to do 100km/h with a 150 cc?   

Thank you andyman

One of my colleagues gave me a number for the guy who thought his wife. Apparently a retired speed cop.

You'll be surprised to see what a 150cc is capable of these days. That Yam R-150 is quite fast for it's size. Fast enough to stay ahead of cars at motorway speeds.

The problem...... 

post-523-0-36250800-1516019964_thumb.jpg

Thank you andyman

The R15's that we tested used to do about 130kph.  They are not fast by any means, but better than the Chinese!  My guess is the Suzuki will do about the same.  The YBR250, CBX250, and CBR250 will get a bit more - probably 150-ish, and if you can find one of the older Kawasaki Ninja 250/300 they are really good - twins so they will be closer to 160kph.

And don't forget the baby KTM's - and of course the BMW as mentioned - both brilliant bikes, but if you are going to pay that sort of money then you can also start looking at the R55000 used bike market - Suzuki SV650, Yamaha FZ6, Honda CB650, Kawasaki ER6.....