Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I ha

ve a Pirelli Angel ST on the front at the moment and it gives zero feel or feedback. Honestly I did just over 120km on track and I have no idea if I was near the limit of its grip or not. Thats not what I want in a tyre.

The rear Michelin, yes I got the bike with these mismatched tyres, gave plenty of feel and you could see it in the use of the tyre and confidence I had getting on the power. Turning in was a horrible experience, no confidence, ran wide many times because I just didn't know if the front would hold.

That being said everybody seems to rave about them, so maybe its just me........

My choice for commuting tyres have always been Michelin, especially in the wet. On the triple however I've only really had soft rubber (Metzeler Racetec/Pirelli Supercorsa and my all time favourite, Dunlop D211) so milelage was pretty bad. But what I used to do when I took the bike out of track trim and into road trim, is bum some ex-race tyres off the guys, which still had plenty of life in the middle and just roll with that for a few months.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those in Durban, well Pinetown/New Germany, I had to call in at Startline and saw they had quite a nice selection of older bikes - lots of small buzz bikes and racing bikes.

I ha

ve a Pirelli Angel ST on the front at the moment and it gives zero feel or feedback. Honestly I did just over 120km on track and I have no idea if I was near the limit of its grip or not. Thats not what I want in a tyre.

The rear Michelin, yes I got the bike with these mismatched tyres, gave plenty of feel and you could see it in the use of the tyre and confidence I had getting on the power. Turning in was a horrible experience, no confidence, ran wide many times because I just didn't know if the front would hold.

That being said everybody seems to rave about them, so maybe its just me........

Only one way to find out.....

Stunning bikes there, GrahamS2

I'll post some pics of some the other stuff once I've checked with him. He's got a '77 MV Augusta Superamerica and a Bimota SB1 and SB2 which are properly drool worthy. The prices these old bike fetch are amazing!

Those Bimotas were fabulous bikes.

You know what the SB denotes!? (I'm sure you do, just checking)

Edited by Wannabe

Those Bimotas were fabulous bikes.

You know what the SB denotes!? (I'm sure you do, just checking)

I sure do. Also has a YB9, which mush be one of the prettiest sportbikes ever made.

Apologies for the massive pics. Don't know why that happened.

IMG_20180824_162554.jpgIMG_20180824_161519_HDR.jpg

Edited by GrahamS2

Nice. 

And they are rare as hell. 

That SB1 must be worth a pretty penny today.

Does he ever run them?

Nice. 

And they are rare as hell. 

That SB1 must be worth a pretty penny today.

Does he ever run them?

Most valuable is that Superamerica, but all old bike are appreciating rapidly. He runs them as much as he can (has 53 to run!), with the exception of the 3 GP bikes. They start, but they have irreplaceable parts. The NSR has a 500 hour lifespan on the crank - very hitech for back in the day!

For those who might have been following the Canyon/Aerotuck thread, there was mention of the OP having to cut up the old frames before the replacements were sent.

I remember having to arrange to have a whole bunch of perfectly working Yamaha R1, R6 and WR engines crushed because they were used for training and had no engine numbers.

And in the Charlie Young days of Yamaha back in the 50's and 60's before anyone was concerned about the environment, all the sample models that Japan sent out, as well as the previous seasons race bikes, were taken out into the harbor and just dropped overboard....

Interestingly, the VERY VERY first pre-production 1998 Yamaha R1 that Yamaha built was sent out to South Africa for temperature testing, and it was also meant to have been destroyed.  It wasn't and the last I saw it was in the warehouse in Pinetown.  I have no doubt that one day it's going to snapped up by a very lucky collector......