Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the yammie xt. It's a great bike, get a set of motard rims, and you will have the bestest of both.

I know a guy.... he is not in a hurry. I may convince him to sell to you.

Okay. Question time. I've been strongly considering a moto for a looong time, and I think next year is the time to get one. Finally. 

My budget won't be large, and will probably extend to about 30/40k with luck. I have a very strong hankering for something simple, so a single cylinder thumper would probably be my best bet. I'm also considering going for one of the old favourites. These are what I'm looking at.  

XT500

XR500/550/650

DRZ400

I have ridden extensively in the past, and am decent with my hands and engines, until it gets very electronic. 

I'd LOVE a superduke 690, but my budget (sadly) won't extend that far. Anyone with tips / ideas / advice? Are the old singles still considered to have good availability of spares, or is it a case of wellyourefucked if you pop a big end / rod / valve? 

This looks good.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/northgate/yamaha-xt-500/1003390772190910967689709

Andyman, you do have the old cogs spinning now...

Not a bad frame to use hey....

Banshee motor would slot right in

Edited by Andymann

Pity it is in JHB, gonna be a logistical problem for me to check out actual condition. Not planning to try and salvage a complete basket case.

I personally would not touch anything that does not have an electric starter; Yam XT/TT600; Honda XR600/650R (the L is fine). Horsepower wise the newer singles (KTM/Husky) are well above the older bikes but introduce complexity, particularly fuel injection which can be troublesome (amongst other things) in the earlier KTM 690's

I personally would not touch anything that does not have an electric starter; Yam XT/TT600; Honda XR600/650R (the L is fine). Horsepower wise the newer singles (KTM/Husky) are well above the older bikes but introduce complexity, particularly fuel injection which can be troublesome (amongst other things) in the earlier KTM 690's

Any particular reason, or just 'cos it's easier? I'm not averse to kicking, but I do know that the leccie start is a lot easier. 

TT600 - saw one, tell me more?

Just wanted to see if there's anything I should know about the old / newer thumpers, just in case my glasses are a bit too rose-tinted. 

First things first. Where exactly are you going to be riding and how often. Initially it may be a commuter but then you go for an adventure day trip with a mate/s and the next thing you are fitting luggage racks and GPS mounts. 

When that happens, kicking a thumper in full battle gear in the blazing Cape sun is going to get old quickly! (Especially after the third or fourth time...) They don't kick as easy a a smoker. A happy button is a really nice option when you are out in the bush on a hill or stalled in a river crossing.

I pass a guy in the mornings that commutes on a WR450. Wheelies from the robots and if I could see through his lid I would expect to see a grin from ear to ear (But that's probably true for most bikers TBH)

Think about the weight as well. If you plan to venture off the beaten track it will play a big part.

Maybe a KTM 300EXC...? Able to be registered and then you have the smell of premix as well as the powerband!

Wait, I am getting carried away here.......

First things first. Where exactly are you going to be riding and how often. Initially it may be a commuter but then you go for an adventure day trip with a mate/s and the next thing you are fitting luggage racks and GPS mounts. 

When that happens, kicking a thumper in full battle gear in the blazing Cape sun is going to get old quickly! (Especially after the third or fourth time...) They don't kick as easy a a smoker. A happy button is a really nice option when you are out in the bush on a hill or stalled in a river crossing.

I pass a guy in the mornings that commutes on a WR450. Wheelies from the robots and if I could see through his lid I would expect to see a grin from ear to ear (But that's probably true for most bikers TBH)

Think about the weight as well. If you plan to venture off the beaten track it will play a big part.

Maybe a KTM 300EXC...? Able to be registered and then you have the smell of premix as well as the powerband!

Wait, I am getting carried away here.......

I'd say pretty often. As a commuter after I drop my lightie off in the mornings, and then when he's ready to go on the back, taking him to school on it as well. Then also on adventures every now and then... 

And noted re the happy button. 

300EXC road legal? Hmmmmmm. Always wanted a smoker for myself! 

EDIT: But. It may not be the best route to go... lol

Edited by Cptmayhem

Pity it is in JHB, gonna be a logistical problem for me to check out actual condition. Not planning to try and salvage a complete basket case.

It is in Pretoria.  Which is where i live.  #Justsaying!

I wouldn't try to recover the 400 Engine though - probably long gone and not worth it.  But the frame seems ok to me