Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Thanks, that is far less than what I was guessing!

I'm afraid I don't know GS's well enough at all to comment.  But I've had bikes transported up from CT for around R1200 so it's not too expensive.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

spotted this on Gumtree ..... been working on the wife RE the bike, but do not think it will happen now (Spending cash on other "more important things" right now) .... is this a good price for the bike?

From my little knowledge I would think it is, and then if one has to ship a bike from JHB to CT is it a small fortune?

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/johannesburg-south/bmw-r1150gs-for-sale-current-km-is-28-000-very-good-condition-r40-000-onco-trade-in-your-klr-650/1004004839100910004836209

Speak to Devon 076 757 6037 - he has brought a bike from PE to Jhb for me - wasn't expensive - Bikes2go - he moves bikes between PE, CT and Jhb.

Hairy,
That's a discontinued model and was replaced by the 1200.

It has a strong following but you must bear in mind its age. Air-cooled, no ABS or electronics etc. Still a BMW and sold bike but just remember its age and limitations.

Having said that, I must say it looks to be in good nick and if properly maintained, should give many happy kms. 

Not a bad price for a whole lot of bike. You will easily get another 160k plus kms on that bike.

Fly up, ride down, take 3 days to ride down. (rode my 8gs up from stilbaai, best way to get acquainted with a bike.)

If you need me to have a look see at the bike, just let me know.

Thanks ... addressing problemo # 01 at the moment ... the wife.

Wonder if she will notice if I sell the car without telling her and replace it with a bike  :ph34r:

Not a bad price for a whole lot of bike. You will easily get another 160k plus kms on that bike.

Fly up, ride down, take 3 days to ride down. (rode my 8gs up from stilbaai, best way to get acquainted with a bike.)

If you need me to have a look see at the bike, just let me know.

And Hairy, if you want to talk detail about that model, talk to Chris at Flying Brick in Paarden Eiland. He has one and I'm sure he would be happy to chat about the model.

Hairy, I can't tell you what to do but I was in the position to get an 1150 just like that.

Yes you will get plenty of miles on them but they do have lots of issues.

Final drive wears out and it is hellishly expensive to repair or replace.

With the age the rear shocks, which were crap to start with, will be shot too. Again not cheap.

Read a few forums, there are plenty around with very knowledgeable people with loads of experience, should help.

My decision was to stay away, but that's just me.

That mileage is very low for an early 2000's bike known for distance riding. Less than 1,500 km per annum.........

spotted this on Gumtree ..... been working on the wife RE the bike, but do not think it will happen now (Spending cash on other "more important things" right now) .... is this a good price for the bike?

From my little knowledge I would think it is, and then if one has to ship a bike from JHB to CT is it a small fortune?

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/johannesburg-south/bmw-r1150gs-for-sale-current-km-is-28-000-very-good-condition-r40-000-onco-trade-in-your-klr-650/1004004839100910004836209

I rode one for a month or 3. Exactly the same model, colour etc. Very nice bike and I fully enjoyed it.

Hairy,

That's a discontinued model and was replaced by the 1200.

It has a strong following but you must bear in mind its age. Air-cooled, no ABS or electronics etc. Still a BMW and sold bike but just remember its age and limitations.

Having said that, I must say it looks to be in good nick and if properly maintained, should give many happy kms.

The one I had did have ABS, maybe just speak to the owner to make sure.

Let me know if you need it ridden down.. happy to help out.

Looks like we're gonna have to draw straws for that job.....[emoji6]

I've just reread my post and see it appears that the bike for sale is mine.

It's not.

I just posted it as it's in Cape Town and would be easier to view. and, of course, cheaper wrt transport costs.

But then, of course, that road trip to get to know your bike is always the one you remember..

Edited by sawystertrance