Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

The XT's are excellent dual sport bikes if you're going to ride solo, going to be a bit cramped and underpowered two up.

Like I mentioned earlier, luckily I've got a serious $$$$ problem to buy this or any bike at the moment. [emoji23][emoji23]

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimwells used to do a single exhaust conversion on those bikes using the header from the old Raptor 660 quad (which has a very very similar engine to the XT660), a GYTR pipe from the Raptor, and a set of YZ450F forks and front wheel and brake.  That conversion dropped almost the equivalent weight of a small passenger on its own!  And really transformed the XT into a big MX bike.  We went on the XT weekend with Gray Dick who was on one and I remember him blasting past me on a corner all sideways having a great time.

I also think they built an XT700 with Raptor 700 bits too but that was one of the owners bikes and not an official conversion they offered.

Those were great bikes; good engines but heavy and with so so suspension. Okes like Gray Dick could ride anything with two wheels faster than most; I won't comment about number of legs.

As for Mr Joffe and Bidvest I heard he was unceremoniously kicked out and very grumpy about it after getting into a costly pissing match. Can't remember the details.

That would be mine :-(

I'm collecting a 175 this weekend and I had to decided between the 125LC and the 200R....

I had a look at the DT125 and 175 pricing in za recently. Prices have increased sharply. Can’t get them here at all.

That 125lc would be worth triple that here. 3 grand or so I reckon.

That would be mine :-(

I'm collecting a 175 this weekend and I had to decided between the 125LC and the 200R....

You were the first person I though of when I saw the ad, two thoughts, it was yours and you were selling, or it isnt yours and you would dig it! 

You were the first person I though of when I saw the ad, two thoughts, it was yours and you were selling, or it isnt yours and you would dig it! 

Well I'm beginning to think the DT gods are against me - the first 175 I was chasing I was about to collect it and the guy changed his mind (for the second time) and now I've just got a call now from the guy selling the second one telling me the bike failed the Roadworthy because someone in the past mis-read 3TS for 3T5 and now the papers have been flagged on the system.  So it need datadot and police clearance..... he is a dealer so he reckons it won't be an issue to sort out, but I am sceptical.

Oh well.....

It's such a lekker bike - I did a rally on it and had a real blast (I had the Basson Pipe on it so it sounded like I was on a YZ - I was being a bit of a chop and blasting past everyone like a kid!) but for everyday use I stress each time I leave it alone because it's so light you could easily just load it in a bakkie and that would be the last of it.

Or I fall off the damn thing and damage all the plastics which you cannot replace anymore.  

I had a look at the DT125 and 175 pricing in za recently. Prices have increased sharply. Can’t get them here at all.

That 125lc would be worth triple that here. 3 grand or so I reckon.

Ya its crazy - both the 125A/C and 175A/C are also now flagged on Natis as "Not for road use" so even if you pay the R60k-odd for a new 175, you cant use it on the road.  That's why existing registered 175's are in such demand.  

Maybe with the ZAR where it is compared to the GBP I should load the 200, the 175 and the 125LC into a Container and send them to the UK......

Well I'm beginning to think the DT gods are against me - the first 175 I was chasing I was about to collect it and the guy changed his mind (for the second time) and now I've just got a call now from the guy selling the second one telling me the bike failed the Roadworthy because someone in the past mis-read 3TS for 3T5 and now the papers have been flagged on the system.  So it need datadot and police clearance..... he is a dealer so he reckons it won't be an issue to sort out, but I am sceptical.

Oh well.....

Had the same issue where my RD read 5j5 instead of sjs, easily fixed and as a dealer he will definitely have a "fixer" in his employ :thumbup:

It's such a lekker bike - I did a rally on it and had a real blast (I had the Basson Pipe on it so it sounded like I was on a YZ - I was being a bit of a chop and blasting past everyone like a kid!) but for everyday use I stress each time I leave it alone because it's so light you could easily just load it in a bakkie and that would be the last of it.

Or I fall off the damn thing and damage all the plastics which you cannot replace anymore.  

As an aside, a friend is rebuilding a DT50 and has procured original plastics. They are attainable, just need to know where?

The theft issue, just insure it.......

Sign of the times we are in though hey - lots of thumbs up for the ad for the LC, but zero interest to purchase.  I reckon in Jan or Feb this year I would have been beating buyers off with a stick.

Part of me feels a bit guilty chasing bikes when others are barely able to survive - but as Warren Buffet famously said (and my Boss repeats) - "Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful"

As an aside, a friend is rebuilding a DT50 and has procured original plastics. They are attainable, just need to know where?

The theft issue, just insure it.......

I've always been a bit odd when it comes to that - when I had my first new bike (an MBX50) they were dog slow compared to the RZ's and AR's and I knew with a bit of work I could get it quicker.  But I didn't want to damage the original parts.  So I bought all used bits, wrapped up the new parts in plastic and modified the used bits.  Same with the sidecovers - people used to steal them back in the day, so I bought some used ones and put my originals away in the box and rode it with the shitty old ones one.  I know, I know.

Same now for the LC - the plastics are the original ones that came with the bike - it would bug the hell out of me if I knew I damaged the originals - even if I could get replacements.

This is why I am so keen to get a 175 - I actually want to just get something which I can enjoy without worrying if I scratch it when I ride it.

Ya its crazy - both the 125A/C and 175A/C are also now flagged on Natis as "Not for road use" so even if you pay the R60k-odd for a new 175, you cant use it on the road.  That's why existing registered 175's are in such demand.  

Maybe with the ZAR where it is compared to the GBP I should load the 200, the 175 and the 125LC into a Container and send them to the UK......

I have been entertaining that idea for a while. Some of the pricing here on some older models is jaw dropping. I seen an MT50 in goodish condition (but not standard with a MB100 motor in it) go for over 3k.. Crazy money . Some models just capture the imagination and the wallets.

DT range is one of those models ppl fall over themsevles for 

Sign of the times we are in though hey - lots of thumbs up for the ad for the LC, but zero interest to purchase.  I reckon in Jan or Feb this year I would have been beating buyers off with a stick.

Part of me feels a bit guilty chasing bikes when others are barely able to survive - but as Warren Buffet famously said (and my Boss repeats) - "Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful"

Man that 125 is sweet, I am developing an itch so to speak! I am sure there is room in my study for that little beastie!

There is a Mr Delivery guy in my area who rides a DT175, I know when hes coming down my street! I must take a pic when I see him next!