Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

BMer 

Gs1200 /1250 

Worth it ? 

Might be buying a bike towards the start of next year but really want one of 'those' , the driveshaft over chain system is just really pleaseing to me 

99% to commute 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, BaGearA said:

BMer 

Gs1200 /1250 

Worth it ? 

Might be buying a bike towards the start of next year but really want one of 'those' , the driveshaft over chain system is just really pleaseing to me 

99% to commute 

Have a friend who had a 1250 30th edition. Full house with every conceivable extra possible. Loved it.
Past tense as they stole it out of his garage 2 weeks ago.........

On 7/31/2022 at 7:28 PM, BaGearA said:

BMer 

Gs1200 /1250 

Worth it ? 

99% to commute 

I like how he sums it up at the 19min mark .... similar to what a friend had to say after riding his dads 1250 for a month or two.....but then again his bike is a Super Retard (No, I spelt that right :P )

Righty Oh, been away from SA for ages with the bikes locked up hopefully not getting up to mischief while I am away. The tanks are full and the battery chargers plugged in. Anyways, a few pics of some of them as they are prepped for the winter of little to no riding. Much rain in my area and I have yet to pave my drive way.4097D5AD-F4AF-4E8F-8BCB-939B04C16AE4.jpeg.aaf914567c35a533ecc2136fcc5308c5.jpeg94BCA79F-7A6A-47D4-9ACF-B4235E584E74.jpeg.1ab036ee669cb612582cc5a6dea6cdc5.jpeg 14DF1FA4-CBC9-4231-B680-F46B2812483E.jpeg.143eec7f906e393395d0ea570f02790c.jpeg7A17BA9F-41C9-4265-9C2A-C1A83E45B709.jpeg.1daf0d361beaf63900b0fcb390405d0c.jpeg487ACC0C-127F-4491-A6E7-458805AA7486.jpeg.86881bd675c5ce87b332f035bcbb3507.jpeg

D5B73B4C-0996-4F5D-90F7-822DA688D7C5.jpeg

4EE3FAD4-9809-4B8C-A45C-A361CF65BD0C.jpeg

Look, if you need help finding suitable storage for the Kawasaki .............. I "know a place", also known as my garage, AND I will even go above and beyond to take her out for rides so that she ready for when you return.

You just cover the tyres (Plural, as I am sure there will be some mileage done) and petrol money and we can call it even

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Look, if you need help finding suitable storage for the Kawasaki .............. I "know a place", also known as my garage, AND I will even go above and beyond to take her out for rides so that she ready for when you return.

You just cover the tyres (Plural, as I am sure there will be some mileage done) and petrol money and we can call it even

Yahhhh, not much power as far as modern bikes go (128HP) but a lovely rich wave of torque and a silky smooth engine! Plenty fast enough for me. 

18 hours ago, Spokey said:

Righty Oh, been away from SA for ages with the bikes locked up hopefully not getting up to mischief while I am away. The tanks are full and the battery chargers plugged in. Anyways, a few pics of some of them as they are prepped for the winter of little to no riding. Much rain in my area and I have yet to pave my drive way.4097D5AD-F4AF-4E8F-8BCB-939B04C16AE4.jpeg.aaf914567c35a533ecc2136fcc5308c5.jpeg94BCA79F-7A6A-47D4-9ACF-B4235E584E74.jpeg.1ab036ee669cb612582cc5a6dea6cdc5.jpeg 14DF1FA4-CBC9-4231-B680-F46B2812483E.jpeg.143eec7f906e393395d0ea570f02790c.jpeg7A17BA9F-41C9-4265-9C2A-C1A83E45B709.jpeg.1daf0d361beaf63900b0fcb390405d0c.jpeg487ACC0C-127F-4491-A6E7-458805AA7486.jpeg.86881bd675c5ce87b332f035bcbb3507.jpeg

D5B73B4C-0996-4F5D-90F7-822DA688D7C5.jpeg

4EE3FAD4-9809-4B8C-A45C-A361CF65BD0C.jpeg

Had a guy recently ask about storage facilities for bikes on one of our 2T groups.
There is a place called "The Archive Automotive". Temp and humidity controlled storage. They even do maintenance and regular starting/riding of the bikes.
Something to look into for those fortunate enough to have these sorts of problems......

thearchive.co.za

I cannot vouch for them, simply passing on useful information, possibly.

56 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Had a guy recently ask about storage facilities for bikes on one of our 2T groups.
There is a place called "The Archive Automotive". Temp and humidity controlled storage. They even do maintenance and regular starting/riding of the bikes.
Something to look into for those fortunate enough to have these sorts of problems......

thearchive.co.za

I cannot vouch for them, simply passing on useful information, possibly.

I read this as "We will take your car out over the weekends, drive the wheels of her to make her purrr, and return it on a Monday for the monthly wash"

image.png.7bcfa8f0971c22ef0e0411f583b326fc.png

loving this thread. Been reading from afar for a while. Turned 50 in June and passed my motorbike licence test this week. Been riding bikes on and off my whole life but never got around to getting a licence as in SA you could ride for a year or two on learners licences back in the day. Haven't owned a road legal bike in many years, but am looking to fix that currently, so busy comparing adventure style bikes. Really like the T700 World Raid, but also looking at the BMW GS and the Honda Africa Twin. Don't know enough about the benefits of each yet to make a really informed choice so would appreciate any advice from those in the know. 

8 minutes ago, BigDL said:

loving this thread. Been reading from afar for a while. Turned 50 in June and passed my motorbike licence test this week. Been riding bikes on and off my whole life but never got around to getting a licence as in SA you could ride for a year or two on learners licences back in the day. Haven't owned a road legal bike in many years, but am looking to fix that currently, so busy comparing adventure style bikes. Really like the T700 World Raid, but also looking at the BMW GS and the Honda Africa Twin. Don't know enough about the benefits of each yet to make a really informed choice so would appreciate any advice from those in the know. 

Depends on your needs but if you are looking at the T700 then also take a look at the Aprilia 660 Toureg.

My dream bike is an African Twin currently so that's where I would go without question, but I would be a 90/10 split between road/off-road.

1 hour ago, BigDL said:

Happy belated birthday Ou Toppie

4 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Depends on your needs but if you are looking at the T700 then also take a look at the Aprilia 660 Toureg.

My dream bike is an African Twin currently so that's where I would go without question, but I would be a 90/10 split between road/off-road.

Thanks - had a look at the Aprilia - looks good, only issue, according to the reviews that I read, is that the subframe is welded on, rather than bolted, which apparently can be a serious issue (probably showing my lack of knowledge here). 

Popped into a dealer today that has Yamaha, Honda and BMW showrooms all within 100 metres of each other. The Tenere World Raid is beautiful but I like the traction control on the others. Unfortunately you can't test ride a bike here if you haven't had your licence for at least a year ,so having a think about how to get around that. 

2 hours ago, BigDL said:

Thanks - had a look at the Aprilia - looks good, only issue, according to the reviews that I read, is that the subframe is welded on, rather than bolted, which apparently can be a serious issue (probably showing my lack of knowledge here). 

Popped into a dealer today that has Yamaha, Honda and BMW showrooms all within 100 metres of each other. The Tenere World Raid is beautiful but I like the traction control on the others. Unfortunately you can't test ride a bike here if you haven't had your licence for at least a year ,so having a think about how to get around that. 

Can you rent a bike with a license that is less than a year old?

13 hours ago, BigDL said:

All lovely bikes. I shall offer my thoughts based on 1000’s of kms of riding in all all terrain, tar, jeep track, and enduro type track (within the limitations of a large motorcycle)

I am lucky enough to have a KTM 1190 and a 690 Enduro Rally. The big beast for two up use or those days when a fast blast on Karoo dirt roads is my therapy. The small one for solo riding and it is fast on almost any terrain. 
For me it comes down to pillion or solo riding and what kind of trips and terrain. As light as possible is the answer to bike handling for regular peeps like me. Of the bikes you have mentioned I would choose the Yam T7 if solo, the Honda AT for two up. Both very capable. 
Heck, the T7 can carry a pillion, my old KLR can, but it really depends on what you want out of the bike.  I would love a T7 but find that my 690 enduro offers what I need in that mid size bike, very few HP down on the Yam and and a lot of kgs lighter with very good suspension. But yes, a single V a tremendous parallel twin. But I like it. 
If you ever find yourself in Hoekwil you are welcome to pop in and ride one of mine…..just for an idea. 
When I do Baviaans I am going on my KLR. If I were to ride across Africa……my KLR…..but the two KTMs put a stupid smile on my face!

If I were to give up all my motorcycles and buy just one, my heart would say KTM 1190R  second hand or the new 1290 Adventure , my brain would say Africa Twin, I think the 2019 model or whatever was the last one prior to the few hp upgrade. On the Honda I would also look at the DCT version, a bit heavier but I believe it is a dream in the dirt.

Rambling now, sorry!

Spokey,

Great post and I can just hear the biker passion in your analysis. For what it's worth, I think the most telling phrase you used is "it really depends on what you want out of the bike." I think correctly identifying that and what you want to use the bike for will correctly determine which bike you get. On the odd occasion you use it for something else, it may not be ideal but a short term compromise is always a good chance to learn. Once you've identified what you want to use it for, it's then a matter of listing strengths and weaknesses of each bike and matching them to requirements. Remember, too, that if you feel you made the wrong choice you can always sell and change to the next option in your list. 

Whatever you do, it's biking and you can't go far wrong.