Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

So, I arrived back from the Middle East sandpit on Thursday evening, Friday discovered a leaking fork seal on the Big Katoom. Of course a phone call to my preferred bike shop would have sufficed , but I had to head on down…….discovered that The Buffalo Rally was on this weekend. Very little info the net regarding the program so I trundled along on Big Zed on Saturday arriving in time for the mass ride and back to the rally site in Hartenbos. Was cool, peeps very friendly, music was good, hamburger less so. Beer remained tempting but off limits to this day visitor. If I am around for next years Buff I think I will head on down for an overnight.

Yes, the gloves were safely stashed in the back pack, slow mass ride and very hot…….

F0EBE989-123B-44B3-9321-4A0C9C10513E.jpeg.6cf16b1b87e54bb6f1dce5219bc2fcaf.jpeg

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Spokey said:

So, I arrived back from the Middle East sandpit on Thursday evening, Friday discovered a leaking fork seal on the Big Katoom. Of course a phone call to my preferred bike shop would have sufficed , but I had to head on down…….discovered that The Buffalo Rally was on this weekend. Very little info the net regarding the program so I trundled along on Big Zed on Saturday arriving in time for the mass ride and back to the rally site in Hartenbos. Was cool, peeps very friendly, music was good, hamburger less so. Beer remained tempting but off limits to this day visitor. If I am around for next years Buff I think I will head on down for an overnight.

Yes, the gloves were safely stashed in the back pack, slow mass ride and very hot…….

F0EBE989-123B-44B3-9321-4A0C9C10513E.jpeg.6cf16b1b87e54bb6f1dce5219bc2fcaf.jpeg

Lucky the ride was saved and cool to see the Buff; again.  BUT what is it with WP forks and seals; or is it just them?

If I don't bleed my forks (Husky 701 & 501) religiously after a ride they can start to weep. Park the bike a bit funny and the oil goes onto the front brake pads; oh, oh moment incoming.

13 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Nice but I can't see the photos. Can you post them as jpgs if possible?

Sure, here you go. Sadly no photos of the manoeuvre or such. A GoPro would have been helpful on that.

Level 1 training:

- Safety regarding your clothing
- LOS (Look Up, Open Up (be loose on the bike), Stand (for the technical stuff/when it gets scary)
- Setting up your bike for off-road riding
- Balancing (walking around your bike keep it up with one hand)
- Picking up your bike
- Take offs
- U-turns and figure of eights.
- Emergency braking (with locking of the rear wheel)
- Escape your "kopwurm" as Oom Neels said (stop blaming your bike/tyre setup/controls) and RYB - Ride Your Bike!

1 - AiCEGzc.jpg

2 - roa0aqA.jpg

3 - 9DumuUL.jpg

Edited by Andrew_Smith

43 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Very nice, thanks. If I may ask, how much was the course? 

The costs was R650 for non-members and R550 for BMW Club Members.

We started meeting from 08:00 for coffee and muffins. 13:00 we got lunch at Anura Restaurant (which is included with the course fee). We finish with the training just after 16:00.

So I feel you got your money's worth and I'll definitely do it again.

16 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Lucky the ride was saved and cool to see the Buff; again.  BUT what is it with WP forks and seals; or is it just them?

If I don't bleed my forks (Husky 701 & 501) religiously after a ride they can start to weep. Park the bike a bit funny and the oil goes onto the front brake pads; oh, oh moment incoming.

Was a surprise on the fork seals. I did not have a problem previously with this bike. However I do ride it hard offroad and in all weather. Turns out that the seal retaining circlip is very rusted and the rubber dust seals are  beyond help. I did see this as I was drinking all the bike shops coffee at the time! So, I have ordered the entire units, bummer as Big Orange is parked up again…….but the 690 is ready to rumble!!!!!

On 10/31/2022 at 3:57 PM, sawystertrance said:

Well done and it's something I shoulda done long ago but didn't. I'm sure you're a better rider now that you've done the course. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it was a humbling experience realising I cannot properly ride a bike - a lot of technique goes into it.

I struggled a lot with the figure of eights, counterbalancing with my body to avoid the bike from tipping over. Something I'll have to practise in my own time, I see there is an empty field spot where I can pack out the cones to train, and if the bike drops, it is at least on grass and not tar.

Was out to a site in Stellenbosch this morning, and as I getting ready to leave the heavens opened up, and lighting put on a really good show.

At one point I had to pull over as the lightening was literally going over my head on that long stretch from Stellies to the N1.

Some road sections closer to home resembled a freaking river!

Moral of the story, I need to find some decent wet weather gear.

Have some riding gear we are looking to get rid off, decluttering.
Helmets, jackets, gloves, boots, etc.
If anyone is keen drop me a PM and I can share details.