Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

On the way to the airport this morning, I met up with a lovely looking Supersport.

Bike sounds phenomenal.

At a "quick pull away from the traffic lights" the bike is rather quick.... But do too is my Harley😁.... Do light to do light I was rather impressed with what the little 96ci engine could deliver compared to the Supersport.

image.png.c8fac50b57546f94f3b609cce34b6378.png

This is a very pretty bike. 

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Spokey said:

The Rocket must be amazing, I would like to try one out at some point. Shear torque monster! 

If you ever get the chance to "test drive" one, take it.

22 hours ago, Hairy said:

Going to be away till Friday, do figured I would try the open shaded area parking..... Seriously second guessing my decision already 😐

There was a thread about it recently on Wilddogs where some guy found free bike parking at the airport. I'll see if I can find it.

This contribution from July:

I parked there last week - there are demarcated bays next to the pickup zone pedestrian walkway. Enter at the P2 pickup zone boom, and exit underneath the ramp coming from level 2.
I asked security, they are super helpful.

677706-9ab00b38016fc0783013ea983339434b.data?response-expires=Thu%2C%2017%20Nov%202022%2005%3A24%3A28%20GMT&response-content-type=image%2Fjpeg&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=I3UPHPWOPY63ZMOGLZFM%2F20221110%2Fnyc3%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20221110T052428Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=604800&X-Amz-Signature=1910fa585c05af06b71de18b2540996fdbbda20a560e15081463312d6e77c00d

6 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Is that you offerering fellow hubber motorcyclists a test ride on yours @WaynejG??

But seriously even if you see one in a bike shop. Take the opportunity to test ride it even if you have no intention of buying it.

Mind you I did that with my Triumph Tiger and bought it 😂

4 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

But seriously even if you see one in a bike shop. Take the opportunity to test ride it even if you have no intention of buying it.

Mind you I did that with my Triumph Tiger and bought it 😂

That's the risk you run, trying something with no intention to buy it but then fall in love with it.
Worse yet if you don't have the means to buy it and have to live knowing you will never have it..........

9 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

I parked there last week - there are demarcated bays next to the pickup zone pedestrian walkway. Enter at the P2 pickup zone boom, and exit underneath the ramp coming from level 2.

677706-9ab00b38016fc0783013ea983339434b.data?response-expires=Thu%2C%2017%20Nov%202022%2005%3A24%3A28%20GMT&response-content-type=image%2Fjpeg&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=I3UPHPWOPY63ZMOGLZFM%2F20221110%2Fnyc3%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20221110T052428Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=604800&X-Amz-Signature=1910fa585c05af06b71de18b2540996fdbbda20a560e15081463312d6e77c00d

Will try that next time

Ok, it was a mistake parking in the Shade Parking .... bike looked like it had been dragged through a muddy trail ride after the rain and wind got hold of it.

Was properly disgusted in how the bike looked, and trying to save the office a bit of money is just not worth the time I need to go and spend to get her back to how she looked before.

14 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Ok, it was a mistake parking in the Shade Parking .... bike looked like it had been dragged through a muddy trail ride after the rain and wind got hold of it.

Was properly disgusted in how the bike looked, and trying to save the office a bit of money is just not worth the time I need to go and spend to get her back to how she looked before.

Eish Hairy; very brave to leave it open - maybe a bike cover like Itchy Boots etc have?

2 hours ago, mazambaan said:

Eish Hairy; very brave to leave it open - maybe a bike cover like Itchy Boots etc have?

A bike cover scares me more ... dust and a light breeze with the cover rubbing over the paint work is the equivalent of sanding your frame with an abrasive.

I locked the ignition, etc when leaving her ... and she has a very loud alarm ... not to mention it is not exactly the kind of bike one or two people just pick up and lump onto the back of a bakkie or in a van....she is just to FAT :P

Just washed her now, and we are happy again. Most of the dirt just hosed off fortunately, but I spent a little time with her to make her feel loved after sitting outside under the shade cloth for three days.

Next time I am back to the under cover parking.

Let's say you are the kind of person that gets others to wash your car or bike. For a 1-2 day stay, the cost of getting your car/bike cleaned will basically equate the cost of the difference between the two parking areas. Then account for the time saved in the walk and trying to find your bloody pride and joy outside in the shade parking, and the time it would take to get your car/bike to, wait for the clean and home again, then all of a sudden the undercover parking looks like a bargain.

I understand there is also a Valet parking option. You stop, hand over your keys (WILL NEVER FREEKING DO THIS WITH THE BIKE) and when you come back they bring your, and make sure it was also washed for you. The upcharge is also apparently not much.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:27 AM, sawystertrance said:

Is this a way to avoid paying, or is it a dedicated free bike parking area?

Could I please ask for the link to the WD thread.

image.png.9120e23e4f434ab5bdcecd9a3be2baed.png

18 hours ago, Hairy said:

A bike cover scares me more ... dust and a light breeze with the cover rubbing over the paint work is the equivalent of sanding your frame with an abrasive.

I locked the ignition, etc when leaving her ... and she has a very loud alarm ... not to mention it is not exactly the kind of bike one or two people just pick up and lump onto the back of a bakkie or in a van....she is just to FAT :P

Just washed her now, and we are happy again. Most of the dirt just hosed off fortunately, but I spent a little time with her to make her feel loved after sitting outside under the shade cloth for three days.

Next time I am back to the under cover parking.

Let's say you are the kind of person that gets others to wash your car or bike. For a 1-2 day stay, the cost of getting your car/bike cleaned will basically equate the cost of the difference between the two parking areas. Then account for the time saved in the walk and trying to find your bloody pride and joy outside in the shade parking, and the time it would take to get your car/bike to, wait for the clean and home again, then all of a sudden the undercover parking looks like a bargain.

I understand there is also a Valet parking option. You stop, hand over your keys (WILL NEVER FREEKING DO THIS WITH THE BIKE) and when you come back they bring your, and make sure it was also washed for you. The upcharge is also apparently not much.

Point taken - I only have dirt bikes that do not get washed that often anyway and a scuff here and there would not really be noticeable; when it's rained my bikes have just stayed outside - it will catch me one day.  But I notice in AdvRider trip reports that covers get used quite a bit.

I absolutely agree with you about a cover and the valet thing. Owning a bike is about passion and we - for what it's worth - develop a relationship of sorts with our bikes and want to care for them. 

Here is the link for the Wilddog parking thread. You may have to join to be able to see it but it's free.

https://wilddog.net.za/threads/bike-parking-cape-town-international-airport.259416/#post-4843902

Edited by sawystertrance