So... I want me a new SS!!! Plain Jane it or Pimp it!?

L.T.G

I'm sure there're dozen of similar threads in here... but if you've got yhe time and feel like adding your input I'd appreciate it.

After 3 years of EXCELLENT service from my converted Scott Aspect SS, I've decided I think I deserve a 29'er SS Specific bike.

I've more than likely decided on a Momsen STR and I was going to go with very basic but durable parts to build...

basic Handle bar,seat post , stem etc

Deore Crank

Magic rims

Surly cogs and chain rings

to name a few

But .... then i got thinking ... maybe I should pimp it... but just a bit, without breaking the bank!

I'm trying to get away with around mid to high teens thousands (but would like it to hopefully be sub 20) on the build.

If you were doing this , what would you do?

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had your problem. Hope hubs, bb, headset and brakes. ZTR rims. Race face cranks and matching bar and stem. RS SID fork with those sexy black stanchions. Absolute black chain ring and cog. Thank me later. PS I doubt I stuck to your budget. :)

Edited by divernick

My cheap as chips SS:

http://i.imgur.com/35KtLUy.jpg

Plane Jane FTW.

I'm contemplating spending more money on making it planer...

f'ing gorgeous

I like the STR, no, make that I like the STR a lot BUT why fit cable guides for shifter cables to a so-called SS frame? Perhaps make it an option? For those of us looking for a SS only frame it's really not necessary. Any chance Momsen can let you have a frame without any of the guides?

Agree with above comment, deore brakes are great. Spend your money where it counts. Been down this road plenty with my SS obseSSion. Hope Hubs and strong hoops, good rear sprockets and a proper front SS ring (AB Black, VeloSolo etc._) If you get the good stuff you only need to buy once.

Rigid forks, again, maybe see if you can get one of those from Kiwi or x-lite make good ones, obviously niner and whiskey and the rest.

Frame is where the big money is - You can try get a Kona Unit from the local Kona agents, brilliant frame for the price. Proper paragon sliders the works. Also their P2 rigid steel fork is a winner.

Thats my 2c.

1FG

I built a Kona Unit that looks pretty blingy for under R12k, orange frame, orange hubs, black rims, spokes, carnegie bar, truvativ T20 seatpost, KCNC stem, Surly rear cog, Blackspire front ring. The only mistake I think I made was skimping on hubs. I have circus monkey hubs and, from new, can make that freehub skip. Go Superstar, build with Velocity Blunt SL rims, 2.35 tyres, you'll never look back.

My other SS, on the other hand, was an absolute money pit......

Thanks for all the tips guys

.this is where I am so far...

Frame-STR (Very Green)

Fork- Momsen Rigid

Rims, I'm keen on something with a bit of colour, but don't want to compromise strength and quality just for a bit of shimmer though... had a look at Magic rims.. Red ones :) any experience with these?

The Velocity that The Nerd mentioned look good too!

I was going going to go for a new SLX crank... but now thanks to Nick the seed for RaceFace has been planted

brakes without a doubt will be new Deore, can't fault them!

The velocity rims are great. Both myself and my brother (Flippa) have and can't fault them. Mine are the older version and his are the Blunt SL's.