Cyclists Who Wear Helmets 'Wasting Their Time'

CDK

The 2 points being made that1) drivers are more aggresive towards cyclists wearing helmets Who believes that in this country? It was done in Europa for commuters. Change laws or enforce them but to leave out the ONLY protection you have is silly. 2) The helmets must be stronger : even motorcycle helmets dont protect against all injuries.

It remains to prove that the current accepted protocol of wearing helmets makes your outcomes worse. All I can think of is that it messes up your hair when using a helmet, if that is important to you then we should not be having this debate.

I love my helmet...I can enjoy a social ride even on a bad hair day....

But seriously I had a huge prang on new years day, came OTB and landed flat on my face, blood nose the works. Put a crack in my helmet. If I was not wearing one I think I would be eating my meals through a straw and doing four piece puzzles in therapy right now....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EdEdEd

My personal opinion is that this is the most useless thread in hub history!

The guy is a dumbass. And only dumbasses believe him!

How exactly was driver agression measured to hemlutted vs kaalkop riders? Perhaps it is that riders with helmets were the ones dis-obeying traffic laws, thus increasing aggression?

I am of the opinion that if you have intelligence to protect, you will wear a helmut.

no brain= no pain

If you live unselfishly, you will think twice about the potential effect your actions could inadvertently have on others.

mine has helped my 2 times before, a knock is better than getting 40 stitches or a cracked skull

I have smashed 2 helmets that have definitely saved me from much worse, and created a hairline fracture on the 1 day in 10 years I forgot to put the helmet on out the door and was too lazy/too much of a hurry to go back and fetch it - could have been worse.

Wear the helmet chaps - everytime - and abuse those who don't - even if it is only going around in the garden - put 20 stitches in a kid a couple of years ago when he fell over and caught the patio edge... with a helmet on, he would have had at most some grazes.

I'm in for a lid every time. I bumped my noggin and my trusty lid split in half leaving me with a headache and nothing else (although I'm sure I would have failed a concussion test).

I'll not ride without it.

Perhaps read the article a few times before resorting to name calling.

There has been ongoing debate even in Australia (where helmet on cyclists heads is mandatory) around the actual effectiveness of the helmet in many accidents.

The questions is not "Does the helmet prevnt an injury" because that answer is it reduces the severity.

The question "what is the effectiveness of the helmet?"

Does it help cyclists obey rules of the road?

Does it help city planners and civil engineers plan intersections, junctions and bus stops better?

Does it allow for better road drainage?

Does it change behaviours of motorists?

Look into the research conducted into these areas and you'll see that in the UK and in Australia, drivers have displayed more aggressive behaviour toward cyclists wearing helmets. Legislated use of a helmet is a band aid to distract for more pressing inefficiencies in a infrastructural planning and management.

I wear a helmet all the time when riding my bikes. It doesn't stop some stupid kugal trying to run me over with her Range Rover while chatting on the cell phone and doing her nails whilst attempting to direct the 2.3tonne SUV.

True, but their societies are very different to ours, but without the appropriate data, I couldn't say that SA drivers dont give a stuff either way, but I would have a guess that I'm right about that.

Besides that, because helmets reduce morbidity and mortality associated with an accident, I agree that one should wear one all the time.

I have smashed 2 helmets that have definitely saved me from much worse, and created a hairline fracture on the 1 day in 10 years I forgot to put the helmet on out the door and was too lazy/too much of a hurry to go back and fetch it - could have been worse.

Wear the helmet chaps - everytime - and abuse those who don't - even if it is only going around in the garden - put 20 stitches in a kid a couple of years ago when he fell over and caught the patio edge... with a helmet on, he would have had at most some grazes.

Sounds like just more surgeon mambo jumbo,

Dips runs and hides

Sounds like just more surgeon mambo jumbo,

Dips runs and hides

is that not a helmet you're wearing on your profile pic???

Guest EdEdEd

is that not a helmet you're wearing on your profile pic???

on the heavy aide maybe

I'm not a weight weenie I'm a buffalo

Well.... you and me together can ride buffalo class.... I am 63.... what are you again.... was it 2 or 3 buffalo's? :)