Smoove Lube

babyball

Hi all,

I have been reviewing some Smoove Lube for the last couple months.

Please note: I am not affiliated to the brand, I was not given product to review and was not paid / asked to do this review.

I have used all the major brands on the market and have many years experience in the elite ranks.

About Smoove:

"SMOOVE™ – universal chain lube is a long lasting lubricant formulated to withstand even the most demanding circumstances. Whether in wet or dry conditions, SMOOVE™ is extremely durable and one application lasts a whole ride, effectively protecting your mechanical drive train components from wear and tear. SMOOVE™ also reduces friction, enabling you to unlock optimal performace. SMOOVE™ is self-cleansing, 100% biodegradable and solvent free."

The Smoove Lube comes packaged in a neat bottle, application instructions on the back and a very fine applicator / dropper.

The label:

"Apply SMOOVE™ to a dry chain. Apply on the inside of the chain while turning the pedals to ensure that the lube gets worked into the chain. Let the lube dry for at least an hour. Best results are achieved if lube is applied the night before. Do not wipe the chain after application. Too much lube will cause lube residue to accumulate around the derailleur pulley wheels and cassette.Apply SMOOVE™ to a dry chain. Apply on the inside of the chain while turning the pedals to ensure that the lube gets worked into the chain. Let the lube dry for at least an hour. Best results are achieved if lube is applied the night before. Do not wipe the chain after application. Too much lube will cause lube residue to accumulate around the derailleur pulley wheels and cassette."

Testing grounds:

I used Smoove in all races and conditions this year. The major test came at the Cape Epic, 8 days in some of the harshest conditions, even 1 properly muddy day. Almost 400 hours and 11000km since January.

Findings:

As long as the lube was applied as described on the label, it performed flawlessly! I am talking entire Epic stages without stopping to lube once, no other lube comes close. This stuff is the business, super impressed and won't use anything else.

However, apply it to a wet chain or the morning of our ride / race and you're going to find yourself having to apply lube at the first river crossing or 50km into your favourite MTB trail when your once quiet drivetrain starts sounding like a rusty old chainsaw.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a lube that's going to go the distance and keep your drivetrain quiet and lasting longer, Smoove is the way to go, no questions asked. Be sure to apply it the night before and exactly as the instructions recommend. I have given the lube to various people who have all come back swearing by the product.

Where to buy:

http://www.rushsportscycling.com/Store/Buy/Smoove/Smoove-Universal-Chain-Lube.aspx

post-7800-0-18240200-1401796553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this product. Very difficult to clean and it causes a paste in my cassette. And yes I did apply it as indicated on the back of the bottle

I hate this product. Very difficult to clean and it causes a paste in my cassette. And yes I did apply it as indicated on the back of the bottle

Agree.

I'm still searching for that elusive perfect product so if you have any suggestions...

I haven't used the product myself but have heard this said from someone else hey.

Hi all,

yap yap yap yap yap yap yap...

SMOOVE™ is self-cleansing -

Some more yap yap yap yap...

You telling lies, I hope they pay you well.

If you can prove this I will ride 94,7 kaalgat on a roadbike and I hate roadbikes!

Come look at my chain on my MTB after riding with this stuff, its like cleaning off squirt. Black gunk stuck to my chain and chainrings that I have to pick off with a stick like when you have a dog turd under your shoe.

Edited by ChUkKy

You telling lies, I hope they pay you well.

If you can prove this I will ride 94,7 kaalgat on a roadbike and I hate roadbikes!

Come look at my chain on my MTB after riding with this stuff, its like cleaning off squirt. Black gunk stuck to my chain and chainrings that I have to pick off with a stick like when you have a dog turd under your shoe.

@ChUkKy: If you have a look, those comments are in inverted commas, that indicates that they are not my words.

That being said, why don't you invest in a Park Tool chain cleaner and brushes instead of using sticks to clean your chain and chainrings?

I ran this stuff with no issue at all at Epic, no gunking up at all. Is there a better test than that? I think you're applying it wrong if you find it does't work, but, don't take my word for it. There are lots of keyboard experts here, I am sure they will help you.

When someone tries to give advice or help out with something that a lot of people struggle with, be appreciative even if you don't agree.

Sorry to say, but, there are lots of Hubbers that have really crap attitudes.

It won't change my life if you don't use the lube.

To those that have given valuable input, even if it doesn't agree with my review, THANK YOU!

@ChUkKy: If you have a look, those comments are in inverted commas, that indicates that they are not my words.

That being said, why don't you invest in a Park Tool chain cleaner and brushes instead of using sticks to clean your chain and chainrings?

I ran this stuff with no issue at all at Epic, no gunking up at all. Is there a better test than that? I think you're applying it wrong if you find it does't work, but, don't take my word for it. There are lots of keyboard experts here, I am sure they will help you.

When someone tries to give advice or help out with something that a lot of people struggle with, be appreciative even if you don't agree.

Sorry to say, but, there are lots of Hubbers that have really crap attitudes.

It won't change my life if you don't use the lube.

To those that have given valuable input, even if it doesn't agree with my review, THANK YOU!

Ok, fair enough

Ill afford you the opportunity to come apply it for me once you have seen how I apply it the night before a ride like the bottle says. Theres 2 bikes to be done, Ill do one and you can do the other.

You can also clean my chain and chainrings with the said cleaning tools mentioned above that that you assume I dont have to clean my bike.

Please make sure there are no remnants of the said lube on my chain or chainring after cleaning, anywhere.

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Im not riding this weekend, its too cold.

Come over next week Friday night and lube me up with my very own bottle of this stuff.

I have tried various methods to get this stuff off my chain and casette and nothing has worked. I have a chain cleaning tool, a set of brushes, engine degreaser, Powasol spray degreaser you name it.

The first time I sprayed my casette with Powasal and then went ahead with the chain cleaining device and engine degreaser for a good few minutes. I also kept the powasol on the cassette for quite a while before climbing in there with the brushes to try and get the gunk out. Guess what, it was still there after rinsing all the degreaser off.

The second time I removed my chain and soaked it in degreaser for at least 2 hours, and agitating it every 10 minutes. The crap still didnt come off my chain. I have tried various methods on my casette but in the end the only way I could get the gunk out was with a stick...

I found my favourite lube at Solomons the other day. Rock and Roll blue. Easy to apply, and easy to clean!!! I would buy it by the litre if I could.

I have tried various methods to get this stuff off my chain and casette and nothing has worked. I have a chain cleaning tool, a set of brushes, engine degreaser, Powasol spray degreaser you name it.

The first time I sprayed my casette with Powasal and then went ahead with the chain cleaining device and engine degreaser for a good few minutes. I also kept the powasol on the cassette for quite a while before climbing in there with the brushes to try and get the gunk out. Guess what, it was still there after rinsing all the degreaser off.

The second time I removed my chain and soaked it in degreaser for at least 2 hours, and agitating it every 10 minutes. The crap still didnt come off my chain. I have tried various methods on my casette but in the end the only way I could get the gunk out was with a stick...

I found my favourite lube at Solomons the other day. Rock and Roll blue. Easy to apply, and easy to clean!!! I would buy it by the litre if I could.

Also believe in Rock n Roll lube, use the Gold on my road bike