Rant: Misleading ads - or outright lies.

greatwhite

"Before you rant: Has a reasonable attempt been made to resolve the issue directly with the party concerned?

If this is the first the other party will hear of your negative experience we strongly encourage you to engage them directly and seek resolution offline prior to posting here."

Sorry - can't comply with the above. I see it so often and can't take it up with all:

Doesn't anyone get pissed of when looking at the classified section and you see a bike in there that is clearly not the age or spec that is specified in the key specs? And how much should those that do know a reasonable amount about bikes point out the error/lie to protect the less knowledgeable? Put yourself in the shoes of a noob that gets fleeced by someone selling them a 10 year old bike when they think they are getting a 4 year old bike. They say a fool and his money are easily parted but c'mon.

What I see often is people selling e.g. a 2012 but actually is 2011 - could be a mistake - bought in 2012 but was actually old stock from 2011 - something of a grey area: the person might not even be aware of their error.

The other end of the spectrum is a guy that posts '2010' model, but that product was last made in 2004. You can't tell me you don't know. In this instance, I posted to say as much in his ad after someone had indicated they had PMed him and I may have torpedoes his sale. His response was to delete the ad and repost with age now listed as '!?'. The ad is now gone, and I hope someone didn't get taken for a ride....no pun intended.

Secondhand car salesman have a bad rep, but it appears some secondhand bike sellers are worse.........

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no doubt that some sellers are sugarcoating their deals by manipulating the details.

As a buyer, do your homework before you sign the deal.

"Before you rant: Has a reasonable attempt been made to resolve the issue directly with the party concerned?

If this is the first the other party will hear of your negative experience we strongly encourage you to engage them directly and seek resolution offline prior to posting here."

Sorry - can't comply with the above. I see it so often and can't take it up with all:

Doesn't anyone get pissed of when looking at the classified section and you see a bike in there that is clearly not the age or spec that is specified in the key specs? And how much should those that do know a reasonable amount about bikes point out the error/lie to protect the less knowledgeable? Put yourself in the shoes of a noob that gets fleeced by someone selling them a 10 year old bike when they think they are getting a 4 year old bike. They say a fool and his money are easily parted but c'mon.

What I see often is people selling e.g. a 2012 but actually is 2011 - could be a mistake - bought in 2012 but was actually old stock from 2011 - something of a grey area: the person might not even be aware of their error.

The other end of the spectrum is a guy that posts '2010' model, but that product was last made in 2004. You can't tell me you don't know. In this instance, I posted to say as much in his ad after someone had indicated they had PMed him and I may have torpedoes his sale. His response was to delete the ad and repost with age now listed as '!?'. The ad is now gone, and I hope someone didn't get taken for a ride....no pun intended.

Secondhand car salesman have a bad rep, but it appears some secondhand bike sellers are worse.........

And people selling second hand goods and expect to get new goods prices.... ek kan mar net my kop skud.

And people selling second hand goods and expect to get new goods prices.... ek kan mar net my kop skud.

True too

Twice I have commented (in my most neutral tone) on ads. Both times I was PM'ed by the sellers and berated. Surely if you sell on the hub it implies that you are open to reasonable comment. I think we have a bit of a "gatekeeper" function, or is that the buyers own risk?

I delete my comment and replace it with: " comment removed by request from the seller"

There's no doubt that some sellers are sugarcoating their deals by manipulating the details.

As a buyer, do your homework before you sign the deal.

Absolutely - google is your friend

Problem for some is if you have no experience, you have no idea what questions to ask. If you have a friend that is knowledgeable, they can help you, but if you don't, then what? Also many people are simply too trusting - often it pays to be cynical.

All the above said, I am of the belief that if something is wrong, you should say so. Yes it might cause the odd dust up, but better that than someone getting crooked

Problem for some is if you have no experience, you have no idea what questions to ask. If you have a friend that is knowledgeable, they can help you, but if you don't, then what?

The hub is a community - should we not be the friend?

Twice I have commented (in my most neutral tone) on ads. Both times I was PM'ed by the sellers and berated. Surely if you sell on the hub it implies that you are open to reasonable comment. I think we have a bit of a "gatekeeper" function, or is that the buyers own risk?

I delete my comment and replace it with: " comment removed by request from the seller"

Talus is right here!

I think if you sell on this forum you should expect reasonable comment. People never like it when you embarress them when you catch them out, but I also believe the commenter has a responsibility also to be fair and careful with their comment - and make sure they have their facts right. I've screwed up like that before - accused a guy of being a scammer and while all his actions were exactly what I have had with scammers before, turns out he was legitimate.

So yes, a gate keeper, but a careful one

What happened to the man-up cream advert from a week ago .I need that contact nr .It said man-up cream with permanent results !!!!.It is sat evening after all!

Edited by Blitzer

Guest EdEdEd

If you sell something you can make your price (as long as you are honest about the details)

An online buyer in 2014 should know to do proper homework and be vigilant!