Triathlon watches...what's the best and why?

Neil Davidson

I'm looking into purchasing a GPS tracking watch to track all three Tri disciplines. I went to Sportsmans Warehouse this past weekend (purely because of the range they stock) but there doesn't appear to be a unit that stands out above the rest.

A number of the units have a battery life of 8h, not sure what the point of this is when my target time for the Full Ironman is 12h.

Any suggestions from those in the know?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto on the Garmin 910XT. Hands down the best on the market. The 310XT is the predecessor to the 910XT, has a claimed 20 hour battery life, but is quite a bit clunkier and doesn't track swimming very well. If you are on a budget get the 310, but the extra 2K or so for the 910 is probably worth it. Just try not to lose it in the swim

Ive got no complaints with my Suunto S2.

The battery life claim with all this watches is a little fishy and you normally have to reduce accuracy or recording intervals to get the extended life.

Ive previously had a Bryton and my advise would be to stay away from that one. Ive heard great things about the 910 as well.

Garmin Fenix2. Released this year and seriously does not get any better! A bit buggy still but all the features are there.

Check it out @ http://www.dcrainmak...multisport.html

Same price as the 910xt

Seriously nice watch ... and the rainmaker has waaaayyyyyy to many watches :whistling:

I have the Garmin 310XT. I absolutely love my watch, I have done multiple triathlons (including 1 Ironman, 5 half Ironman distances), cycling races and running races.

The swimming function is a little shady and far exceeds the distance I have swam but the other features like if u want to incl/excl transitions in your timing you can.

A great watch with loads of features!

Seriously nice watch ... and the rainmaker has waaaayyyyyy to many watches :whistling:

Tell me about it! Ray does such great reviews. I find it amusing when you go check out someone else's review they say upfront, "This is not an in depth review, for that go check out Rainmaker" :clap: Cant beat it.

I have the Garmin 310XT. I absolutely love my watch, I have done multiple triathlons (including 1 Ironman, 5 half Ironman distances), cycling races and running races.

The swimming function is a little shady and far exceeds the distance I have swam but the other features like if u want to incl/excl transitions in your timing you can.

A great watch with loads of features!

But with a serious design flaw on the glass face :-(

Whilst I am a very serious Polar fan and despite the release of the new V800, I would still lean over to the 910xt, but only so very slightly. This being said that I do not have any personal experience of either of the units and only talking/typing from the reviews I have read on the Net. Once the V800 is being used and there are some reviews of it out, I am sure that it is going to give the 910xt a good run (or is it swim or maybe even cycle... :D ) for its money. What am I using? Well I used to use the Polar RCX5, but with the lack of altitude data, I am now using the Polar RS800 which has this feature and a few other I like, but unfortunately no swimming and direct on-board GPS tracking. Pity, otherwise it would have been perfect for me, but that is probably why they made the V800. As the other wrote, check out dcrainmaker. Happy choices!!!

I have the polar RCX5 and works well for me.The nice thing is you can switch between disciplines by bringing you watch close to you heart rate transmitter,switching from swimming to bike and then run.Polarpersonaltrainer.com also has a lot of information when all data is downloaded.I been using Polar products scince 2010 and have accumalated a lot of data so far.Progress reports e.g 38804km.Not bad for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this review and I must say, I am really impressed.

910 xt all the way for me.but then again this is the only one i ever had so cannot compare to others.no probs with mine and delivers more than enough info.

A bit of a hijack, but I have a brand new farming 910xt for sale or to swap. Pm me if interested. I'm looking for a riding computer rather.