Who else is sick at the moment?

Been having a mild cold since Monday just a mild coughing and blocked nose but no body or muscle pains. I am wondering if doing an hour Zone 1 and 2 ride tomorrow won't make things worse.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Wanted to hear if anyone else has or are experiencing the same symptoms/after effects. 

I was sick a couple of weeks ago nothing I worried about little sore throat and coughing. Took a day off to rest and thought all good gave it a couple more days just to be sure. 

Now last weekend did my first ride and almost immediately my hart rate spiked and after a ride that would a month ago be nothing my average HR was 172.

Another week passed feel perfect got on the bike yesterday 5 min in again the same story HR jumps over 180, turned around to go back and my legs feel worse than they did after a 100miler and only did +-20km on the road. 

I am going a ask the Dr to run some tests this week I just want to know if anybody else has experienced this as it puzzles the heck out of me. 

40 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Wanted to hear if anyone else has or are experiencing the same symptoms/after effects. 

I was sick a couple of weeks ago nothing I worried about little sore throat and coughing. Took a day off to rest and thought all good gave it a couple more days just to be sure. 

Now last weekend did my first ride and almost immediately my hart rate spiked and after a ride that would a month ago be nothing my average HR was 172.

Another week passed feel perfect got on the bike yesterday 5 min in again the same story HR jumps over 180, turned around to go back and my legs feel worse than they did after a 100miler and only did +-20km on the road. 

I am going a ask the Dr to run some tests this week I just want to know if anybody else has experienced this as it puzzles the heck out of me. 

Exactly the same story here with 2 notable characteristics, the spiked HR which was previously unknown to me and a feeling of lactate / slight cramp in the legs even after only 10 mins of zone 2/3 cycling (used to do 3 hour rides in the past, no problem). This has all followed a flu about 6 weeks ago. I'm thinking it's definite metabolic stress caused by whatever flu has been going around that will now require a gradual and responsible build back phase, which is hard for us cyclists to do, but should be followed for safety reasons. We fix first and hopefully perform well a bit later on. Hope you return to fine form going into Summer. Take care.

4 minutes ago, Bikeforlife said:

Exactly the same story here with 2 notable characteristics, the spiked HR which was previously unknown to me and a feeling of lactate / slight cramp in the legs even after only 10 mins of zone 2/3 cycling (used to do 3 hour rides in the past, no problem). This has all followed a flu about 6 weeks ago. I'm thinking it's definite metabolic stress caused by whatever flu has been going around that will now require a gradual and responsible build back phase, which is hard for us cyclists to do, but should be followed for safety reasons. We fix first and hopefully perform well a bit later on. Hope you return to fine form going into Summer. Take care.

Thanks.

Yes they cramps and legs feeling like lead after 10 min. 

I'm not fast but enjoy hours of fun on the bike. I've found best for cramps and endurance USN's amino energy works great even helps with recovery but at this point I think I needed something stronger like whisky 😂🤣

Yesterday was 3 weeks with a bad flu and continues coughing. Friday and last night were the first time that I have managed a full night's sleep without coughing myself awake.

Must say I have suffered a serious sense of humor failure and have not even thought about doing any exercise 

16 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Yesterday was 3 weeks with a bad flu and continues coughing. Friday and last night were the first time that I have managed a full night's sleep without coughing myself awake.

Must say I have suffered a serious sense of humor failure and have not even thought about doing any exercise 

My wife still coughs and she was sick before me. So guess it's the same thing going around. Hopefully we all get over this soon 🤞🏻🙏🏻

5 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

My wife still coughs and she was sick before me. So guess it's the same thing going around. Hopefully we all get over this soon 🤞🏻🙏🏻

Most people who I speak to say at least 4 weeks of coughing. This is a bad strain as it knocked the whole household flat.

22 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Most people who I speak to say at least 4 weeks of coughing. This is a bad strain as it knocked the whole household flat.

52 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

Same same, coughed myself stukkend for about three weeks with two rounds of antibiotics and corticosteroid interventions.  I usually cycle daily but even short rides to the Walmer Spar when I started feeling stronger showed that I wasn’t ready for more.

Edited by justinafrika

At least the coughing seems to be letting up somewhat. With G2C in October this flu has put a serious damper on preparing for this event.

10 hours ago, WaynejG said:

At least the coughing seems to be letting up somewhat. With G2C in October this flu has put a serious damper on preparing for this event.

Yip thinking of letting go of my K2C entry. I'm not lus to go suffer on what usually a lekker fun ride. (except for those who did it in 2019🥶

2 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Yip thinking of letting go of my K2C entry. I'm not lus to go suffer on what usually a lekker fun ride. (except for those who did it in 2019🥶

Ag nee ou maat.

Ek HOOP Evert kan jou gou uitsort 👍👍

Not feeling great for a while! headaches, stuffy chest but also asthmatic. I believe my major contributor to be stressed also as per doc.

Hardly ridden a bike, but at least pull out a 8to10km hike every sunday.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Be careful of the flu going around. It is bad.

My daughter had it and the doc said that it leaves everyone with a post viral cough which they are battling to get rid of.

What worked for my daughter: -

ACC600

3 days of antibiotics (the one you take once a day)

The equivalent of Celestamine (2 at night)

Corenza C paracetamol

Some nasty stuff doing the rounds. Both the wife and I contracted Swine Flu over a month ago and still coughing and spluttering. Tried doing a short ride a week back and felt like I was towing an elephant behind me. Managed to do a short stint on the trainer yesterday with not much difficulty. Just need to ease into slowly.

ok, so here goes, I haven't visited a doctor since 2018. Not saying I haven't felt under the weather, but not to an extent where I felt sick enough to visit a doctor. Since 2020 I haven't taken any pills either, whether capsules, fizzy pills, headache pills, vitamins, antibiotics etc. Nothing.

We do not eat any processed food, anything boxed or packaged. I understand we are fortunate to be able to do so. And it is a bit more expensive buying organic, but we don't exclusively eat organic. But the greatest change we've made is using only raw, unprocessed, unpasteurized milk and dairy products. We stay in suburban Cape town. (Ideally one day I'd like to plant my own veg 🙃, but for now while still in Cpt, we just source from wherever)

And of-course no tap-water.
Not saying I'm never going to get really sick again, but something has dramatically changed since we started using raw dairy products only. I think it has to do with the gut microbiome. 
When we do get sick, it usually passes within a week with some rest, and/or a few days' fast. 🙂