Who else is sick at the moment?

It was bound to happen, could not get through an entire year without getting sick in some way.

Last week the youngest had snotty nose, sore throat and cough, Friday my wife picked it up.

Yesterday morning I woke up with nose running slightly more than normal, I still went out and did an easy 60km, keeping my HR low because that was the aim of the ride anyway.

But I could feel the niggle in the throat.

After I showered and changed it hit me.

Congested nose, continuous running and inflammation in the throat. Oh and a body that feels battered.

Doing my normal sinus rinse with Saline solution and have gotten a few OTC things from the pharmacy, hopefully I can get over this quick.

Last week Wednesday was breakup day for the oldest. We were so happy that he made this term without a single snotty nose. We have not had a single cough or sneeze since march in the whole house. Then Thursday morning the oldest wakes up with a runny nose. Friday the twins get it. Saturday the wife starts feeling off. Sunday my throat was scratchy and then today my sinus' are blocked and I have the typical head cold. I keep checking my temp, smelling things and looking out for all those "typical flu like symptoms". Problem is I have never actually had flu, only bad head colds so I don't know what flu like symptoms are like. Anyway, I am 99% sure we all just have colds and not covid.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly sick but this Sunday's  mtb ride  was a  stark reminder of why  correct nutrition in the morning  and  hydration are so important. I had become a little complacent with  both and I used to be really good but alas  had let it slip. 

It's never happened like this before. My legs were  literally like jelly and I had zero energy, pushed the bike over rocky bits that could normally ride as didn't trust my legs to have the power and I didn't want to fall on a rock.  Finished the ride and felt like a bus had ridden over me and today I am still knackered and  it was not even  a long distance.

An unpleasant lesson but one I won't forget in a hurry.

Not exactly sick but this Sunday's mtb ride was a stark reminder of why correct nutrition in the morning and hydration are so important. I had become a little complacent with both and I used to be really good but alas had let it slip.

It's never happened like this before. My legs were literally like jelly and I had zero energy, pushed the bike over rocky bits that could normally ride as didn't trust my legs to have the power and I didn't want to fall on a rock. Finished the ride and felt like a bus had ridden over me and today I am still knackered and it was not even a long distance.

An unpleasant lesson but one I won't forget in a hurry.

Had a similar issue yesterday. Couldn’t figure it out. I just had nothing in me. I wrote it off against the trail being soft from the rain and having more resistance.

Got home and I just wasn’t hungry. It was now just after 10:00 and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Two hour nap later and I felt dizzy and almost like I had a fever. Dull feeling in my head.

Had lunch and felt a little better but still bad. Lots of water and electrolytes also helped a little. I was in bed at 21:00 last night and slept like a rock until this morning.

Found a spider bite on my stomach this morning. I’m feeling shaky still but not the worst. Temperature is normal and so is heart rate.

I still cant get rid of this annoying post nazal drip, it does result in some coughing every now and then which is rather irritating.

Had a similar issue yesterday. Couldn’t figure it out. I just had nothing in me. I wrote it off against the trail being soft from the rain and having more resistance.

Got home and I just wasn’t hungry. It was now just after 10:00 and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Two hour nap later and I felt dizzy and almost like I had a fever. Dull feeling in my head.

Had lunch and felt a little better but still bad. Lots of water and electrolytes also helped a little. I was in bed at 21:00 last night and slept like a rock until this morning.

Found a spider bite on my stomach this morning. I’m feeling shaky still but not the worst. Temperature is normal and so is heart rate.

Thank you, I never considered anything else. Going to check when I get home for bites as truly have never felt like that before and just presumed it was because I had not had a very big breakfast but I did eat.  I could fall asleep on my laptop right now  and have a headache. 

But either way it has remined me to eat  and drink properly just in case   :)

Thank you, I never considered anything else. Going to check when I get home for bites as truly have never felt like that before and just presumed it was because I had not had a very big breakfast but I did eat. I could fall asleep on my laptop right now and have a headache.

But either way it has remined me to eat and drink properly just in case :)

100% with you on wanting to sleep on my laptop as well as the dull headache.

Had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for breakfast yesterday. Swallowed it down with a glass of electrolytes. It’s normally good enough to see me through a 30km ride with 1.5l of water.

My legs and arms are super sore today. So is my neck and shoulders. Weird I tell you.

Edited by DR ◣◢

100% with you on wanting to sleep on my laptop as well as the dull headache.

Had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for breakfast yesterday. Swallowed it down with a glass of electrolytes. It’s normally good enough to see me through a 30km ride with 1.5l of water.

My legs and arms are super sore today. So is my neck and shoulders. Weird I tell you.

Can you websling? Hope you feel better dude.

Without wanting to temp fate....I haven't been sick once this year!

Me neither.I normally pick up the odd cold and cough but nothing this year.The mask and hand washing does the job.

Although I have picked up my ginger,garlic,lemon and pepper consumption.Its all those stews,stir fry's and curries during LD I believe that have done the trick

Edited by Kranswurm

Are the ticks that prevalent?

They jump on you or only if you come into contavt with bush or ground

2 weeks ago after my first hoogekraal expedition i came home with full body rash, lasted full week randomly over my body

Antihistamines didnt help

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone elses neck make a funny clicking/grinding sound that goes right through you when you turn your head left and right a few times?

I think my bearings are worn . . . . 

Does anyone elses neck make a funny clicking/grinding sound that goes right through you when you turn your head left and right a few times?

Yup. Mostly followed by loud pops and cracks as well. I sound like a dry bearing most of the time.

Yes! alarming isn't it? I did suffer a disc prolapse a few years ago. Perhaps it's that, perhaps something else? I DO know that a +5hr road rides make me suffer for a few days after.

Every day. I attribute it to being in the over 50's category  :thumbup: