SA Team for Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014

jcza

XCO at Afriski. Reid won and Buys finished 5th (5mins down)

Ah jip one race anycase Phil is the highest ranked XC rider in the country and Reid has the talent to be there so CSA should catch a wake up and realise we have medal contenders for Rio 2016!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to take anything away from the track guy's and maybe I'm wrong but I would think that with the likes of the AUS and ENG track teams we don't really stand a chance? and that depending on the course our top road riders might do better.

As for the MTB I think Phil is the best SA's performing rider over the last year, but lately since Epic he hasn't been anywhere near where he used to be and even though he has a good ranking and start after the first km he drops like a stone and then works his way back up but you just end up with to much traffic. Look at his last 2 WC XCO results 39th and more recently 71st. James has been racing U23 so not sure where he would be in the Elite's but at the moment I think James has a better chance. You also know when Anton Cooper says WTF to James not making the team something is wrong.

As for the selection criteria I think there should only be one, the strongest rider at time is chosen and that's it. Maybe the top riders should put down the handbags and choose amongst them selves who should go. :whistling:

Not to take anything away from the track guy's and maybe I'm wrong but I would think that with the likes of the AUS and ENG track teams we don't really stand a chance? and that depending on the course our top road riders might do better.

As for the MTB I think Phil is the best SA's performing rider over the last year, but lately since Epic he hasn't been anywhere near where he used to be and even though he has a good ranking and start after the first km he drops like a stone and then works his way back up but you just end up with to much traffic. Look at his last 2 WC XCO results 39th and more recently 71st. James has been racing U23 so not sure where he would be in the Elite's but at the moment I think James has a better chance. You also know when Anton Cooper says WTF to James not making the team something is wrong.

As for the selection criteria I think there should only be one, the strongest rider at time is chosen and that's it. Maybe the top riders should put down the handbags and choose amongst them selves who should go. :whistling:

Don't underestimate the track team - Hoffman and Esterhuisen will be contenders

Don't underestimate the track team - Hoffman and Esterhuisen will be contenders

How the heck did I forget about those 2. :blush:

Just thought I'd do a comparison.

Nove Mesto:

James: 7 laps 28km's: 10th, Time 1:20:10, +4:05 off the winner. Avg Lap: 11:27

Phillip: 8 laps 32km's: 39th, Time 1:35:07, +6:34 off the winner. Avg Lap: 11:53

Albstadt:

James: 7 laps 28km's: 26th, Time 1:26:36, +5:57 off the winner. Avg lap: 10:56

Phillip: 8 laps 32km's: 71st, Time -2 laps, for the purpose of this I used the last time: 51st position: 1:39:45 +10:21 Avg lap: 12:28

So in Nove Mesto James and Phil are pretty close and if James had raced Elite the he probably would have maybe just beaten Phil taking in to account the extra lap. But in Albstadt Phil had a shocker "which happens" and was way off the pace.

Just shows how big the time gaps are in U23 and how close it is in Elite.

Although I believe Rourke or James to be the better pick over Phil it is what it is however, for James to go out publicly like a spoilt little kid and outright blame Dr Jeroen Swart for swaying or using his influence to select Phil is really low. This isnt the 1st time James has bad mouthed Dr Swart, even while Dr Swart was was coaching him at the time and made some pretty mind blowing claims about Dr Swart and Burry's relationship and coaching methods to name a small things he did to discredit the Dr. When he had no clue about anything.

The decision is based on highest ranked rider and that is Phil so Phil is going. James has been racing in USA and staying in Europe and has missed some of the events that clearly gave ranking status. He should of been here for them its that simple. This also applies to anyone else for that matter.

My 2c.

Edited by Sworks20

The decision is based on highest ranked rider and that is Phil so Phil is going. James has been racing in USA and staying in Europe and has missed some of the events that clearly gave ranking status. He should of been here for them its that simple. This also applies to anyone else for that matter.

ok I don't know much about the history and spats..clearly both should have gone.

BUT isn't something wrong with the system if it would incentivise dudes to sandbag bag home over racing in the states/europe?

ok I don't know much about the history and spats..clearly both should have gone.

BUT isn't something wrong with the system if it would incentivise dudes to sandbag bag home over racing in the states/europe?

Exactly... Why only send one.. We meant to be promoting these guys.. Giving them incentive... James is young.. He is in the perfect position to be motivated by csa

I dont say the system is right in any way at all, to me its flawed but if that is what or how the system works and a athlete wants to compete in the Games then they would need to abide by the rules or not throw a tantrum when he/she doesnt get selected based on criteria.

Strongest rider must go its that simple and it shouldnt be based on some points system.

Although I believe Rourke or James to be the better pick over Phil it is what it is however, for James to go out publicly like a spoilt little kid and outright blame Dr Jeroen Swart for swaying or using his influence to select Phil is really low. This isnt the 1st time James has bad mouthed Dr Swart, even while Dr Swart was was coaching him at the time and made some pretty mind blowing claims about Dr Swart and Burry's relationship and coaching methods to name a small things he did to discredit the Dr. When he had no clue about anything.

My 2c.

Can understand that he is pissed and clearly he is still young. Coach and selector will always be conflict of interest.

Best rider is James Reid.

Cockup from SASCOC as expected.

• 1 month later...

ladies race should have started now...where to follow?

Aaaha.. found it.. follow peloton watch (@pelotonwatch) on twitter.. if no tv or live streaming access.