SA Team for Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014

jcza

Cherise Stander selected for road?

Didnt Impey just win the other day in Europe when he's really a top tier domestique.....

James Reid ???.....

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cycling were only allowed 16 athletes I would have taken a few out of track athletes and add a road team, we really have chance there!

Do not know how selection works but that is how I would have thought they would go. Maybe the road guys like Impey, Meintjies did not make themselves available for selection?

Nepotism, corruption, incompetence, hidden agendas, conflicts of interest - sounds all too familiar

Nepotism, corruption, incompetence, hidden agendas, conflicts of interest - sounds all too familiar

and thats just the athletes

NO "FIRE" (Maroesjka Mathee) ??????? :cursing: :cursing: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

At least Theuns is there. Congrats and well done on your selection.

Ok, spoke to Fire. She does not have enough UCI points yet. Needs to get back to the 'States to earn those points.

As I said on Twitter....So glad that I am not a PRO road or MTB cyclist in SA. But, even happier that I do not pay any more fees to CyclingSA....bunch of Clowns!!

I feel for youngsters showing what's in them and they do not even get selected....i.e. James Reid.

so UCI points were not taken into consideration as far as I can see. How does everyone else see that he is our best XC rider yet the powers that be don't. mind baffling

http://www.cyclingsa.com/Article.aspx?uid=2493 States that riders must be top 5 in the commonwealth... That's pretty much using UCI points.

I did a quick count. Phil is 2nd in the commonwealth, Rourke 6th and James 11.

Also, I agree that U23 riders are at a disadvantage as they get less points but if you want to race Elites at Commonwealth then you must race elites during the year. Nothing in terms of criteria was 'hidden' so I don't believe riders have the right to moan.

Edited by Orbit

http://www.cyclingsa...e.aspx?uid=2493 States that riders must be top 5 in the commonwealth... That's pretty much using UCI points.

I did a quick count. Phil is 2nd in the commonwealth, Rourke 6th and James 11.

Also, I agree that U23 riders are at a disadvantage as they get less points but if you want to race Elites at Commonwealth then you must race elites during the year. Nothing in terms of criteria was 'hidden' so I don't believe riders have the right to moan.

ok thanks for clearing that up....BUT...we all know that James should be there...surely they must know too and make a plan...and remember Burry raced u23 right up till he was 23...and 2008 olympics he competed while still competing at u23 level...so to say they should be competing at elite level if they want a place is not always the case...from a development point of view it is important to compete at U23 for as long as you can - from a morale and a basic development point of view

Edited by Stretch

ok thanks for clearing that up....BUT...we all know that James should be there...surely they must know too and make a plan...and remember Burry raced u23 right up till he was 23...and 2008 olympics he competed while still competing at u23 level...so to say they should be competing at elite level if they want a place is not always the case...from a development point of view it is important to compete at U23 for as long as you can - from a moral and a basic development point of view

Agree with all of this :thumbup: I think there needs to be less 'blame game' and more cooperation between riders and SASCOC/CSA to get a better selection system.

James was ranting on twitter about selection criteria not being implemented. This is not the issue, the issue is poor selection criteria to start with.

Don't really know much about the track cycling medal odds, but seems like quite a large team proportionally to the amount of pro track cyclists in the country.

Would have expected to see more mtbers and (some) road guys there. Don't have a problem with phil buys going, but it doesn't look good when the guy who keeps beating him doesn't make it.

How many did we send to india/new dehli (was there even mtb there?)

Don't really know much about the track cycling medal odds, but seems like quite a large team proportionally to the amount of pro track cyclists in the country.

Would have expected to see more mtbers and (some) road guys there. Don't have a problem with phil buys going, but it doesn't look good when the guy who keeps beating him doesn't make it.

How many did we send to india/new dehli (was there even mtb there?)

Has James Reid beaten him in XC racing or do you refer to the SA Champs?

Has James Reid beaten him in XC racing or do you refer to the SA Champs?

XCO at Afriski. Reid won and Buys finished 5th (5mins down)