DH World Cup #4 - Leogang

Stretch

So what's the most important thing of riding??

To stay on the bike!

$&%/#@£&$£!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like crying.

Front brake lever isn't on the bike anymore. Front wheel bent (front tyre flat).

So the failure story of a noob....

Yesterday on my 1st track walk I felt super intimidated even with the start switch backs cause they were like concrete with a lot of loose gravel. I didn't think any of the rock gardens would be a problem though and there were one steep drop with a right berm which I was scared of at 1st sight (really scared cause I know I have crap brakes). Around the start there's also off camber sections worst than what I've ridden before. Walking further the 2nd last and last root section got to me. My mind didn't like the 2nd last one. But yesterday it was still very dry.

I went to do a 2nd track walk right after the 1st just to try and remember the track so when I got on my bike today that I can stop less (Im not good at remembering what comes next on tracks).

Last night it rained all night...

So this morning practice was from 8:30-12:00 for us. I could only get into my 1st uplift at 9:30 because i was still trying to sort out full body protection and if you know me being late rattles me already. But at the start I was okay.

So I rolled in....left foot wasnt on right by the time I took that 1st ski drop but it was okay and by the 1st berm then I realised 'fark this is slushy'! But I got comfy surprisingly quick. Rolled through the 1st rock garden (sliding sliding) through more slushy berms another rock garden and I was thinking "ah this feels good" (yip I had my usual riding big smile). Through the 1st and 2nd tunnel over another rock garden then to the steep drop. I stopped to watch 2 riders do it and then went in. I didn't quite make the berm so fell but got up and went on. Bike felt okay. Went over 2 off camber sections then the long stretch with the jumps. I just rolled there and I took air quite comfortably. Then another off camber section into a little root section with a small drop and then into the 2nd last root section. There were a few riders standing around and a few falling around and I got nervous seeing the riders fall then I tried to go on show and the trick is to make the left turn. I couldn't get my front wheel over some roots and I went over the bars. Bike fell to the right trees, me too the right. When I got to my bike the left lever was broken out. Front tire was flat. When I started pushing I realised something is misaligned too.

Lesson learnt...I don't know if I felt too comfy till that section or if it was because I got super tensed when I entered that section. Those roots are SLIPPERY.

I am so so so so lucky that I had that full body protection on. I moaned about it at 1st but I have bruises at places where there were protection. Don't want to know how I would have looked without. Many riders already broken!

I cried a bit because I would have at least wanted to ride the timed training run, but I try and calm myself with the thought that less than a year ago I wished to be able to ride some of the stuff I did today with a smile. At least now I can go do what I really really came to do. ..... drink beer :D

I'd be more prepared for the next one!

SG is sitting next to me now, he is out too. Hurt his foot.

BIG UPS !! .. to you hayley for even attempting this and that course,def got bigger cojones then me :clap: :thumbup:

Beer and take it all in as a job well done :thumbup:

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this on the UCI website. Looks like Supersport are televising it.

SS6 Monday, June 16, 2014 01:00-03:00 Delayed - Downhill Women/Men - Leogang

SS7 Tuesday, June 24, 2014 18:30-19:00 Delayed - Highlights - Downhill Women/Men - Leogang

Here is the link

Sunday delayed

19:00 - 21:00 HD5 Uci Mountain Bike World Cup Leogang - Downhill Women/men Elite 19:00 - 21:00 SS5 Uci Mountain Bike World Cup Leogang - Downhill Women/men Elite

HA - fix the bike, get back on it and carry on.... you are doing good - PS - go steal one of GM's wheels if needed.... maybe you could get him to autograph the bent one.... :)

Well done Hayley! 90% of Hubbers wouldn't even attempt what you accomplished!

Beg, borrow or steal a brake!

oi - my thread has been derailed - this is about the WC in leogang - to discuss the course, the contenders and the bikes - nothing else

oi - my thread has been derailed - this is about the WC in leogang - to discuss the course, the contenders and the bikes - nothing else

I've done a bit of cleaning up. Lets keep this on track.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb11062054/p5pb11062054.jpg

Lesson learned: Real pro's always bring an umbrella. Look how much more pro it looks to point out lines to your teammates using your umbrella. If all you have is a water bottle it isn't pro.

Edited by 2Nutz

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb11062053/p5pb11062053.jpg

Always be sure to adhere to all course markings.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb11062056/p5pb11062056.jpg

You'll soon discover that despite what you assumed from watching endless GoPro footage, the track is much steeper than it looked.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb11062066/p5pb11062066.jpg

Sam Hill goes inside on all the corners, so you need to go inside on all the corners.

So what's the most important thing of riding??

To stay on the bike!

$&%/#@£&$£!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like crying.

Front brake lever isn't on the bike anymore. Front wheel bent (front tyre flat).

So the failure story of a noob....

Yesterday on my 1st track walk I felt super intimidated even with the start switch backs cause they were like concrete with a lot of loose gravel. I didn't think any of the rock gardens would be a problem though and there were one steep drop with a right berm which I was scared of at 1st sight (really scared cause I know I have crap brakes). Around the start there's also off camber sections worst than what I've ridden before. Walking further the 2nd last and last root section got to me. My mind didn't like the 2nd last one. But yesterday it was still very dry.

I went to do a 2nd track walk right after the 1st just to try and remember the track so when I got on my bike today that I can stop less (Im not good at remembering what comes next on tracks).

Last night it rained all night...

So this morning practice was from 8:30-12:00 for us. I could only get into my 1st uplift at 9:30 because i was still trying to sort out full body protection and if you know me being late rattles me already. But at the start I was okay.

So I rolled in....left foot wasnt on right by the time I took that 1st ski drop but it was okay and by the 1st berm then I realised 'fark this is slushy'! But I got comfy surprisingly quick. Rolled through the 1st rock garden (sliding sliding) through more slushy berms another rock garden and I was thinking "ah this feels good" (yip I had my usual riding big smile). Through the 1st and 2nd tunnel over another rock garden then to the steep drop. I stopped to watch 2 riders do it and then went in. I didn't quite make the berm so fell but got up and went on. Bike felt okay. Went over 2 off camber sections then the long stretch with the jumps. I just rolled there and I took air quite comfortably. Then another off camber section into a little root section with a small drop and then into the 2nd last root section. There were a few riders standing around and a few falling around and I got nervous seeing the riders fall then I tried to go on show and the trick is to make the left turn. I couldn't get my front wheel over some roots and I went over the bars. Bike fell to the right trees, me too the right. When I got to my bike the left lever was broken out. Front tire was flat. When I started pushing I realised something is misaligned too.

Lesson learnt...I don't know if I felt too comfy till that section or if it was because I got super tensed when I entered that section. Those roots are SLIPPERY.

I am so so so so lucky that I had that full body protection on. I moaned about it at 1st but I have bruises at places where there were protection. Don't want to know how I would have looked without. Many riders already broken!

I cried a bit because I would have at least wanted to ride the timed training run, but I try and calm myself with the thought that less than a year ago I wished to be able to ride some of the stuff I did today with a smile. At least now I can go do what I really really came to do. ..... drink beer :D

I'd be more prepared for the next one!

SG is sitting next to me now, he is out too. Hurt his foot.

Well done Hailey, as mentioned by others you've got more guts than most of us.

Good luck for the next one