hard work and determination or natural ability

Stretch

Further to the Leogang thread, there followed and interesting discussion about what it takes to be at the top of your game, to compete in a World cup or World championships and podium. These guys and girls have an incredible ability to control a bike and do so at speed (and we are talking about XC and DH).

Now the question raised is that is there an inherent ability that they have or do they just achieve that through hard work, passion and determination, bearing in mind that most of these guys are riding their bikes from age 3, 4 or 5.

Bruce Fordyce has said that anyone can train hard and put in the time and the miles, but unless you have the genetic makeup you will never win comrades. I tend to agree with statement across all aspects of sports - dedication and hard work is required no doubt, but all these guys have something in them in the first place that makes them want to shred around in their back garden from a young young age.

P.s - it would be great if we could bring some of the discussion from the leogang thread here to continue in a focused thread

I get the Fordyce thing. He's right. Those who do well in extreme sports are hard-wired to do so. Those willing to take risks are often ADD/ADHD. There's a lot of literature out there linking dopamine, ADD/ADHD, addiction and extreme sports.

Edited by Tumbleweed

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mamma and Pappas genetics first.

+ Mamma & Pappa financial & transport sponsorship

Drive ,hunger and hard work second.

+ a bitta luck third (helps a lot too)

Ent van prent.

Just making it more comprehensive. ;)

My mamma gave me a gene. To eat a lot.

My pappa gave me a different gene. To be very stubborn.

Who am I now?

A big fat fatty who is to stubborn to stop eating.

That is why my cycling is so awesome at the moment.

My mamma gave me a gene. To eat a lot.

My pappa gave me a different gene. To be very stubborn.

Who am I now?

A big fat fatty who is to stubborn to stop eating.

That is why my cycling is so awesome at the moment.

PIctures otherwise we don't believe...

Afternoon Ma'am

I am a classic example...I train my butt off and one of my friends that trains maybe 2-3 times in two weeks kicks my butt. He just have that natural ability to produce watts and sustain it for 5-20min. But give him 150km to ride he "fal uit die bus" because of lack of training(base). Genetics helps a lot. :wacko:

Ask Mark Cavendish - whilst working in a bank he was sent to a lab by British Cycling only to be told he didn't have the genetic make up to ever become a professional cyclist. 6 years later he won the World Championship.

I know its not XC or DH but you need big ones to participate in the sprint for the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QE97iUvSHk0

When I found this it made me think of your comment.

I race Road and XC and ride the odd Enduro but have never done DH.

I personally would k@k my brooks just as much in the middle of this as I would hitting a DH road gap and I think it takes about the same amount of skill to stay in the top 20 in a sprint to the line as it does to ride a DH course. :ph34r:

I race with the Pro's on the road due to my age and some big hours on the bike and I can tell you that the bunch can become a dog show very quickly and being able to not touch your brakes, read the bunch and dodge wheels whilst getting switched at 60km/h is a talent I do not possess.

I have hit the deck at +50km/h and it's not pleasant, but I luckily didn't have 20 guys riding into me which would be the case here or hitting some road furniture at 60kph :cursing: here you also have minimal protection.

I can also think of 2 to Pro's who have died in resent years from crashing, although this can probably be put down to rider error.

Anyone who says that Road racing is for softies and isn't dangerous is a fool.

Here's the link to a brief look at Schurter's talented skill vs many of the rest:

To me, this perfect video for 27.5 vs 29 debate!

I'd say, a LOT of all of it.

Good genes, financial support, head square on your shoulders, and a BUCKET load of hard work and determination.

That should get you in the top 2% of your competitive sport.

Then some good luck and great timing will not hurt...

the amusing thing about this thread is one or two who dont have the gene enabling them to think out of their little world view. that's the read picture here. shame. That's perhaps the biggest difference between those who actually achieve and those who dont: single mindedness despite the theoretical limitations: they don't give in to the negative types.

Guest Omega Man

single mindedness

Interesting that you use that turn of phrase. I think there's a huge amount of narcissism that goes along with being a top sportsman.

I read an article in a magazine that basically intimated that people like Max Biaggi and Michael Schumacher are sociopaths and need that single mindedness and drive to basically stand on others heads to become champions.

Edited by Omega Man

the amusing thing about this thread is one or two who dont have the gene enabling them to think out of their little world view. that's the read picture here. shame. That's perhaps the biggest difference between those who actually achieve and those who dont: single mindedness despite the theoretical limitations: they don't give in to the negative types.

Capricorn

#legend

Interesting that you use that turn of phrase. I think there's a huge amount of narcissism that goes along with being a top sportsman.

I read an article in a magazine that basically intimated that people like Max Biaggi and Michael Schumacher are sociopaths and need that single mindedness and drive to basically stand on others heads to become champions.

I think its part of shutting out any negativity, hell, any sort of influence that could detract from the goal. Just cos they are the sporting elite, doesn't mean they have the necessary ppl skills. Few great minds, or sportsmen and women alike, are great embassadors. Mr Min is one of the few that seems to carry the burden of greatness well. Fabien Barel is another that comes to mind. But if they dont have that gene, good manners can be taught, if they willing to accept some humility. Some just seem to refuse it.

Narcissism/single mindedness/extreme focus. Whatever we want to call it, i think its necessary.

Guest Omega Man

I think its part of shutting out any negativity, hell, any sort of influence that could detract from the goal. Just cos they are the sporting elite, doesn't mean they have the necessary ppl skills. Few great minds, or sportsmen and women alike, are great embassadors. Mr Min is one of the few that seems to carry the burden of greatness well. Fabien Barel is another that comes to mind. But if they dont have that gene, good manners can be taught, if they willing to accept some humility. Some just seem to refuse it.

Narcissism/single mindedness/extreme focus. Whatever we want to call it, i think its necessary.

100%