First time I missed my 26er

CraigCCW

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That singletrack caught me out the first day I rode a 29er - always off on the outside of the corners - not anymore..... and it's not a 26" vs 29" thing - it's a technique thing.... what works on a 26" does not work as well on the 29" - but figure out how to make the 29" turn and you will never go back.

Thanks for the feedback, I will have to practice more with my technique on my 29er.

Thanks for the feedback, I will have to practice more with my technique on my 29er.

Yup - listen to the V12 man.

Moving to the 29er requires a bit of a technique shift.

Best advice I can offer is "trust the front wheel". Put some weight on the front wheel and trust that it will bite. Move your center of gravity forward and down when you approach the corner.

The "attack position" I believe it's called. In my experience you have to exaggerate the attack position a bit on a 29er.

Once you master it - you'll love the additional grip offered up by the 29!!!!!!!*

*that last sentence was thrown in only ro ensure another 85 pages of "debate" :devil:

Best advice I can offer is "trust the front wheel". Put some weight on the front wheel and trust that it will bite. Move your center of gravity forward and down when you approach the corner.

The "attack position" I believe it's called. In my experience you have to exaggerate the attack position a bit on a 29er.

Once you master it - you'll love the additional grip offered up by the 29!!!!!!!*

*that last sentence was thrown in only ro ensure another 85 pages of "debate" :devil:

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try put some more of my weight on the front wheel.

Soon the admins of thehubsa are going to start banning this particular debate :clap:

No actually that's very debatable and the reason we have a weekly 26er vs 29er thread

More like twice weekly.

I am starting to realize that me saying "I am not trying to start a 26er vs 29er debate" is like starting a sentence with my wife that begins with 'Don't be cross but...."

I have been on my 29er since October 2013 and have to be honest I'm not close to getting as "windgat" on the twisty stuff like I was with my 26er.

That being said I got to a point this weekend where I could actually feel my confidence building on the big wheels. Key is to practice, learn from your mistakes and stop the "I used to nail this on the 26er" and rather focus on drilling it with the 29er. Choose your lines differently, commit to it and hang on for dear life... the feeling is awesome if you get it right.

I miss my 26er.... but not enough to get rid of the 'ol beeg wheels.

I have been on my 29er since October 2013 and have to be honest I'm not close to getting as "windgat" on the twisty stuff like I was with my 26er.

That being said I got to a point this weekend where I could actually feel my confidence building on the big wheels. Key is to practice, learn from your mistakes and stop the "I used to nail this on the 26er" and rather focus on drilling it with the 29er. Choose your lines differently, commit to it and hang on for dear life... the feeling is awesome if you get it right.

I miss my 26er.... but not enough to get rid of the 'ol beeg wheels.

Agreed, I do miss my 26er, but will definitely keep my 29er, and get better at riding it the way it supposed to be ridden.

People look at me and my 26er and nod in agreement, NO 29er for me, it is just too big, a few has commented that I should perhaps consider a kiddies bike! LOL! I am NOT missing my gears though, SS all the way.

200 cents worth of "advice" LOL

I do miss my Diamond Back Le Turbo BMX though, was a ss with steel rigid fork, rode it to school and back almost every single day for many years, with a backpack and books that weighed a ton, no problem then...now I'm all grown up.

Thank you.

I do miss my Diamond Back Le Turbo BMX though, was a ss with steel rigid fork, rode it to school and back almost every single day for many years, with a backpack and books that weighed a ton, no problem then...now I'm all grown up.

I don't miss my cruiser (have no idea which wheel size it was, but lots of gears), I used to ride to school and back, 8k's of downhill in the morning, got to school in a jiffy, never took lunch to school, so basically bonked every afternoon trying to get home doing the same 8k's in reverse. Taught me to hate hills, wind and just about everything else, also taught me the beauty of cycling in general, bonus was I GOT STRONG. LOL

I am starting to realize that me saying "I am not trying to start a 26er vs 29er debate" is like starting a sentence with my wife that begins with 'Don't be cross but...."

Some lessons are learnt slowly, for some reason, I don't now why.

Guest Travis.

Agreed. When I switched, I found I needed to lean into the corners a little more. Scary in the beginning, until you're used to it.