Sani2c 2015

Gringo

this GPS thing is a pain in the a**, the race marking are good on the SANI dont know why they all going this way now.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this GPS thing is a pain in the a**, the race marking are good on the SANI dont know why they all going this way now.

$$$$$$  Money !!!

They have a new "partner" onboard....www.easyGIS.co.za ....go figure???

Hi there

Newbie here on the S2C scene...

after all the expenses etc. do I REALLY need a GPS?  can my phone with some fancy app not do the job?

I spoke to two different blokes - the one recon it is almost impossible to gte lost...the other says - there are certan section thta you arre alone and might get lost....

Not too keen to drop R5k on a GPS unit now...

c/mon - I need some good, reliable info from veteran S2C champions!!

GPS FAQ’s

Why do I need a special GPS unit and not my mobile phone?

Okay, this is a good question so follow carefully. You can theoretically use some apps on your mobile phone to link to GPS direct without requiring network signal, however, this is not optimal as there are many areas of the ride where data connection for mobile phones is non-existent.

Other reasons mobile phones are not appropriate as your main GPS device:

• The battery on a mobile phone will run out quickly
  • The screen on a mobile phone times out to avoid the battery running out, so you need to keep activating the screen to come on which further wastes battery (and could be dangerous)
  • You will need to find a bike mount for your mobile phone, and if it rains most mobile phones are not waterproof
  • The screens are very difficult to see in the sun on most mobile phones
  • Mobile phones are not robust and if you do have a fall they could shatter unlike GPS devices which are more rugged.

The idea is to use your mobile as a backup. Take it with you in case but do not rely on it. It is not a suitable substitute for a dedicated GPS device. Your GPS device is easy to see and follow, it will stay on at all times, it uses a fraction of the battery power, and it is designed for this purpose.

from sani2c website

from sani2c website

When will we receive the route files to upload to our GPS devices?

We will send the final daily routes to you. These files will also be available at registration at our GPS helpdesk – our gurus will be there to assist. Try not to wait until registration to upload as you want to be comfortable with this before.

How do we upload these files?

We will send you GPX files of the final route – each device has its own software or online offering, which you will need to be familiar with in order to upload from your computer. Your device will come with all that information, however we are available to provide help on all devices. If you are struggling we will have a dedicated person to guide you through it.

Do I need to upload maps on to my device?

NO and this is a big NO. Maps are not necessary – all you need to do if follow the route on your device. Maps are difficult to follow on a small device like a bike GPS and they chow battery. You are simply tracking a route each day and most devices have a warning to let you know you are off the route.

Remember with GPS you could go wrong but you will never get lost!

How does GPS work?

You will have the route for each day uploaded in your device. You will select the day and off you go. You will follow what is called the “breadcrumb” track. If you go off the track most devices let you know that you are off, in addition you will see your arrow is off the track. On the Old Mutual joBerg2c you should have no trouble staying on track as our route is linear (point A to B).

Will I have enough battery life?

You should have more than enough for each day and in some cases even more. Every manufacturer is different but try go for a device that has the longest battery life. Most modern units have very good battery life.

Will there be daily charging stations?

Yes there will be charging stations

Do both riders have to have GPS in the team?

Yes, not only does this help you navigate quicker by checking each other but also safer when racing. In fact, this is especially important for the racing snakes. Having two units lets you plan ahead. One rider can have a big view of what’s coming and the other rider zooms in.

What happens if my GPS runs out of battery life or stops working and I am on route?

You will need to follow other riders and we will have our off-road rescue partners ensuring all riders get back safely.

What is stopping me from taking shorter routes?

We will be having check points to ensure all riders are on track. This will also ensure we know if anyone is lost.

Can I ride the routes outside of the event?

No, unfortunately not. Most of our route is through private land and farmers will treat any other riders on their land as trespassers. They have been instructed to shoot. This will jeopardise any future events.

Which make of GPS is better?

We have tried a few makes from entry-level through to top-end and they all work well. The main thing to consider is your budget, your needs and their support level. Questions you should ask: do I want more than a GPS i.e. training, heart rate, power etc.

Can we get a GPS device on special through the event?

Easy GiS will have all makes of units for sale

Will there be GPS support at the event?

We will have full GPS support from EasyGis who know their stuff during the event.

Looking forward to seeing you on the trails

Farmer Glen

$$$$$$  Money !!!

They have a new "partner" onboard....www.easyGIS.co.za ....go figure???

Ag no man Cassie, you haven't even pitched for your first Sani2C and you are already stirring and making problems for the organisers  :ph34r:

Ag no man Cassie, you haven't even pitched for your first Sani2C and you are already stirring and making problems for the organisers  :ph34r:

sorry!! :blush:

They have every right to make some dough!!  But PLEASE don't rip me.... :whistling:

sorry!! :blush:

They have every right to make some dough!!  But PLEASE don't rip me.... :whistling:

You accuse the organsiers of ripping you but you don't even bother to read what it says on the website?

If you're that unhappy, there are about 5,000 mtbers that would HAPPILY take the entry off your hands.

You accuse the organsiers of ripping you but you don't even bother to read what it says on the website?

If you're that unhappy, there are about 5,000 mtbers that would HAPPILY take the entry off your hands.

Seriaaaas ????,,,,must be joking

Thanks guys...

while we are on the topic....The only way i got into the Trail is by way of a substitution...

Now - being my first time & all (i'm super stoked! - waited like 4 yeras to get entry!)

I'm stuck with a clothing size that will be way to small for me....WTF?? :eek:

What are the chances that I'll find a XXL bloke that wants to swap back to XL (not to even mention my parner - he;s stuck with M clothes...)

Afterall - this is one of my bucket list ticks...and i'll cherish the S2C logo with pride...but I will not even be able to wear my hard earned apparel!!

with >months still prsent to change chlothing options...why are they so strict?

I might need to swap XL for M clothing, just give me a week to confirm

It's the woman's duty to stop and ask for directions, real men just ride!

And there I was worried I would need to be asking asking for directions, I will just follow you River Rat!

(will do your w2w subs as soon as the website allows)

And there I was worried I would need to be asking asking for directions, I will just follow you River Rat!

(will do your w2w subs as soon as the website allows)

I wouldn't do that we real men usually get lost!

Did the J2C last year on turn by turn and its an absolute breeze, nothing to worry about I promise. 99% of the time you just follow the road except on day 8(Sani2c day 2) when you go over the steel bridge from the farm Jeep track some guys missed the single track. The rest is common sense and its better for the environment.

sizing on the done is always a hit and miss.

But might be keen on a swop, but it depends on how they "size" stuff this year.

Luckily the last 2 years the mens medium has been perfect for me so Im hoping for more of the same this year. It also depends on what the ladies gear looks like this year...

I have a Bryton Rider 40 but have never used the navigation function. Question: Can you still track speed, distance etc. whilst navigating?