Sani2c 2015

Gringo

I have a Bryton Rider 40 but have never used the navigation function. Question: Can you still track speed, distance etc. whilst navigating?

I dont know the bryton, but i do not know of a gps where you can navigate and still track speed etc. you need to change windowto view speed, distance, etc

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriaaaas ????,,,,must be joking

Gets a S2C entry - first timer - and the whining / complaining starts 3 months BEFORE the event.

I might need to swap XL for M clothing, just give me a week to confirm

Great!  My partner will be able to take that off your hands...

Gets a S2C entry - first timer - and the whining / complaining starts 3 months BEFORE the event.

not fair!

I asked a legitemate question...i.e  how necessary is the use of a GPS??? i.e. will I get lost if  i do not have one...I'm well versed in the pro's / con's of using a cellphone for MTB navigation...

Let's not degrade this fred into a mud sling fest!! go to the many others where you can do that...

not fair!

I asked a legitemate question...i.e  how necessary is the use of a GPS??? i.e. will I get lost if  i do not have one...I'm well versed in the pro's / con's of using a cellphone for MTB navigation...

Let's not degrade this fred into a mud sling fest!! go to the many others where you can do that...

Quick answer to your question: No, probably not.

i thought the organizers said it sorry :blush:

you can get gps breadcrumb trail on a garmin 500, so you do not need to break the bank getting a gps with maps

not fair!

The answer to your cellphone question is both on the website and in the parts I copied and pasted for you.

The reason for GPS, as I understand it, is to prevent littering in pristine rural environments by races using markers, arrows, plastic boards, lumo spray paint, plastic warning tape etc.  Also, these markers get moved, stolen etc.

Why does everyone need a GPS?  Well, I would guess that it would be to limit potential legal liability of the organizers.

BTW, Joberg2C (incl BielieMielie) and Dusi2C have also gone GPS only.

From J2C website:

Why do I need a special GPS unit and not my mobile phone?

Okay, this is a good question so follow carefully. You can theoretically use some apps on your mobile phone to link to GPS direct without requiring network signal, however, this is not optimal as there are many areas of the ride where data connection for mobile phones is non-existent.

Other reasons mobile phones are not appropriate as your main GPS device:

• The battery on a mobile phone will run out quickly
  • The screen on a mobile phone times out to avoid the battery running out, so you need to keep activating the screen to come on which further wastes battery (and could be dangerous)
  • You will need to find a bike mount for your mobile phone, and if it rains most mobile phones are not waterproof
  • The screens are very difficult to see in the sun on most mobile phones
  • Mobile phones are not robust and if you do have a fall they could shatter unlike GPS devices which are more rugged.

The idea is to use your mobile as a backup. Take it with you in case but do not rely on it. It is not a suitable substitute for a dedicated GPS device. Your GPS device is easy to see and follow, it will stay on at all times, it uses a fraction of the battery power, and it is designed for this purpose.

The answer to your cellphone question is both on the website and in the parts I copied and pasted for you.

The reason for GPS, as I understand it, is to prevent littering in pristine rural environments by races using markers, arrows, plastic boards, lumo spray paint, plastic warning tape etc.  Also, these markers get moved, stolen etc.

Why does everyone need a GPS?  Well, I would guess that it would be to limit potential legal liability of the organizers.

BTW, Joberg2C (incl BielieMielie) and Dusi2C have also gone GPS only.

From J2C website:

Why do I need a special GPS unit and not my mobile phone?

Okay, this is a good question so follow carefully. You can theoretically use some apps on your mobile phone to link to GPS direct without requiring network signal, however, this is not optimal as there are many areas of the ride where data connection for mobile phones is non-existent.

Other reasons mobile phones are not appropriate as your main GPS device:

• The battery on a mobile phone will run out quickly
  • The screen on a mobile phone times out to avoid the battery running out, so you need to keep activating the screen to come on which further wastes battery (and could be dangerous)
  • You will need to find a bike mount for your mobile phone, and if it rains most mobile phones are not waterproof
  • The screens are very difficult to see in the sun on most mobile phones
  • Mobile phones are not robust and if you do have a fall they could shatter unlike GPS devices which are more rugged.

The idea is to use your mobile as a backup. Take it with you in case but do not rely on it. It is not a suitable substitute for a dedicated GPS device. Your GPS device is easy to see and follow, it will stay on at all times, it uses a fraction of the battery power, and it is designed for this purpose.

(incl BielieMielie) this one i can understand :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup: 

Quick answer to your question: No, probably not.

I get your point, problem is just, sometimes it only takes one wrong turn when nobody is around (yes sometimes even at the oversubscribed Sani there is nobody around) to really spoil an enjoyable ride.

you can get gps breadcrumb trail on a garmin 500, so you do not need to break the bank getting a gps with maps

Garmin 510 I think. R4000 +

I get your point, problem is just, sometimes it only takes one wrong turn when nobody is around (yes sometimes even at the oversubscribed Sani there is nobody around) to really spoil an enjoyable ride.

Or enough people relying on the fact that all the other teams would have GPS... :ph34r:

If anyone knows someone who knows someone who is related to someone, that has a team (or a single) Entry I can buy, it would be greatly appreciated. (Race/adventure or trail no biggie)

PS. Inbox me if someone can assist. (I'll post in the classifieds too)

If anyone knows someone who knows someone who is related to someone, that has a team (or a single) Entry I can buy, it would be greatly appreciated. (Race/adventure or trail no biggie)

you've got a better chance of "Zuma paying back the money!!"....BUT on the other hand I saw an entry floating about our club just last week (only lasted all of 5mins...)

you've got a better chance of "Zuma paying back the money!!"....BUT on the other hand I saw an entry floating about our club just last week (only lasted all of 5mins...)

Haha, I know but I might get lucky.

last year mine went unused RACE if it goes that way this year ill hit you a pm no promises im still trying to play catch up fitness and weight

Archived