Who remembers?

DPG

they were both magnificent. we had a "road" within our school called jacaranda drive. When I was in form 2 we had a matric guy called Shaun Honey who wheelied it non stop. Every day the form ones would line Jacaranda drive just after school and most days Shaun would wheelie out of the school. If he was in a cuc mood he wouldn't. Was super impressive as a lightie to watch. remember those days well.

just out of the army I bought a 500R - almost wrote myself off in the first 5 kms. Took it back to the oke I bought it from and got my cash back. was a beast indeed. Trying to kick start it was indeed an art. if you did it wrong it would break your ankle.

YOH! i was about 13 when my boet had his and I tried to kickstart it one day when he wasnt around. That thing threw me halfway across the garage.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents and ladies. 76 pages spread over four years. We've had clubs and tapes and bmx's and bands but we haven't had one mention of the most iconic thing to come out of the 80's - something that we all drooled over. Only the privileged had one, schoolboys had posters on their walls and longed for one

It is........ the HONDA XR 200R

This was my drool.....

And then funny thing when I eventually got to ride one a few years ago it was kind of disappointing.  Like seeing your high school crush on Facebook not quite looking like you remembered....

post-15215-0-72580500-1524220183_thumb.jpg

So you'll definitely understand the importance of this then!

How I laughed just now.  Actually did this about a week ago.  Needless to say the film broke and out came the selotape  :D

Barney, Barney Simon ..... look out he's coming through the door, and he didn't even open it.........if it's too loud you're too old!

something that we all drooled over. 

It is........ the HONDA XR 200R.

I had an '84 blue seat XR500R when I was in matric. It had the decompression lever and I managed to learn the trick of getting it just so to start it. It took out a piece of my one mate's plakkie when he tried to start it.

This was my drool.....

And then funny thing when I eventually got to ride one a few years ago it was kind of disappointing. Like seeing your high school crush on Facebook not quite looking like you remembered....

I had one if those! Was always keen on the IT490. Then I rode a YZ490... it tried to kill me... twice...

I had one if those! Was always keen on the IT490. Then I rode a YZ490... it tried to kill me... twice...

My old man had a IT465 and a YZ490, he died 17 times.

But you guys drooled over weird stuff, I drooled over Cindy

I had a Yamie IT425 (think it was a 425cc) back in the day when there was still mines dumps in the East Rand to rip up. That thing had power - it could wheely in 4th, There was one particular high dump near Springs we called The Widow Maker - that bike was just about the only one to make it up to the top. You would have to take a run at it doing +140km/h

I still have a Yamaha Xt500 which I am modernising / rebuilding. Much better engine that the Honda XR500,  which I have also had, did a monsta trip to Nambia on that. It came back a wreck.

Edited by kosmonooit

This was my drool.....

And then funny thing when I eventually got to ride one a few years ago it was kind of disappointing.  Like seeing your high school crush on Facebook not quite looking like you remembered....

I had one exactly like that !

My first enduro on it was a mudfest of note !! Ended up pushing it more than riding it .... well it felt like it anyway !

Remember riding fire breaks somewhere up in Richmond, hanging on the cable when a barb wire fence appeared out of nowhere ... ploughed straight through it and nearly shredded myself in the process. How I didnt kill myself on it I'll never know.

Good times !!!

So you'll definitely understand the importance of this then!

Remember how cool it was when APSS introduced......real magic in those days!!

I quite liked Helen Labdon myself.....

I quite liked Helen Labdon myself.....

I couldn't resist.......Googled to see what she looks like now. Must say I am not disappointed ( if it is the same person ). Edited by Tromp