Who remembers?

DPG

Remember helping my dad de-crate his XR200 from Honda. Back then you assembled them yourself. No such a place as RAD KTM. Then. After a few years we were on Team Green Kawasaki with the ever legendary KDX200. I also remember stealing gas from Alfie Cox and team for our PW80’s as we rode all day while the “adults” raced.

To this day, the smell of Castrol TTX takes me to my happy place.

That, and a debaffeled RD50.....

Edited by WrightJnr

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't resist.......Googled to see what she looks like now. Must say I am not disappointed ( if it is the same person ).

That's the reason why I keep our wedding album locked away... my better half will be disappointed...

I couldn't resist.......Googled to see what she looks like now. Must say I am not disappointed ( if it is the same person ).

Greg Kinnear's wife.  She has aged quite nicely......

Gents and ladies. 76 pages spread over four years. We've had clubs and tapes and bmx's and bands but we haven't had one mention of the most iconic thing to come out of the 80's - something that we all drooled over. Only the privileged had one, schoolboys had posters on their walls and longed for one

It is........ the HONDA XR 200R.

XR 200R - now you weren't alive if that wasn't an object of lust if you were in your twenties in the 80's. If you were rich or had a bursary at varsity you had one from your bursary money.

if you were brave you got a XR500R. Yamaha IT 250 and 465 were beasts. IT 490 was mental, it would lift its front wheel in 4th anytime. You had to get right over the tank on any start cause it would throw you off quickly. Fronk forks like spaghetti all of them and the 4 strokes had an evil habit of kicking the **** out of you if started incorrectly. I remember when working on them always putting a boot on or something solid cause it broke a mates foot when it kicked him.

There's even a site for large 2 stroke MX bikes on FB. Honda CR500R 4 gear was the king - mental machine. The other i still couldn't quite get my head around is an oke in Germany who made this beast - s 700CC Maico Two stroke. Imagine the torque:

.............if you were brave you got a XR500R...............

I often rode one that belonged to a best mate when we were students. I loved, hated and feared that thing in equal measures. We all managed to outlive it, mostly because we had very OCD guardian angels. It is the very reason I keep my boys away from motorcycles - I KNOW what they will do with it - and I'm not so sure guardian angels are built as solidly as they used to be  ;)

I often rode one that belonged to a best mate when we were students. I loved, hated and feared that thing in equal measures. We all managed to outlive it, mostly because we had very OCD guardian angels. It is the very reason I keep my boys away from motorcycles - I KNOW what they will do with it - and I'm not so sure guardian angels are built as solidly as they used to be  ;)

Read this blog: 

http://blingkingbikes.co.za/how-am-still-alive/

This was more truth than i like to think about......

• 2 weeks later...

I remember you

And I remember Craig the Umhlungu better than this warrior of the land of  Hyrule.... 

I had a Yamie IT425 (think it was a 425cc) back in the day when there was still mines dumps in the East Rand to rip up. That thing had power - it could wheely in 4th, There was one particular high dump near Springs we called The Widow Maker - that bike was just about the only one to make it up to the top. You would have to take a run at it doing +140km/h

I still have a Yamaha Xt500 which I am modernising / rebuilding. Much better engine that the Honda XR500,  which I have also had, did a monsta trip to Nambia on that. It came back a wreck.

I hope this opens up for you...

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=223624.0

(Bump)

Who remembers?  An oldie but goodie. Spent loads of brass there ... . :whistling:

My word... the number of hours I lost going through the racks at this place...

And in the late Nineties, the Look & Listen in Fourways, when the whole bottom floor was just music CDs...

Sigh.

(Bump)

Who remembers?  An oldie but goodie. Spent loads of brass there ... . :whistling:

You had to queue to pay ...

And you could listen to any CD's, and there was always people working there who knew their stuph 

Before they moved to Rosebank they were Hillbrow Records in Pretoria Street .. lots of  evenings spent there in skint student days

Got this triple LP gem there,,, and still have it.

THE-CLASH-SANDINISTA-EX-NM-in-torn-shrin

Then they got bought out by that nondescript corporate ...  and it was all downhill

Edited by kosmonooit