Who remembers?

DPG

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you may be thinking of RAVE Stores. Operated at the same time as Dion ( man's name you have at the back of your mind ? ) and in competition with Dion's...rumour at the time was that Dion's absorbed RAVE's. Went to the last day of operation of RAVE's in Braamfontein , and probably boughts a lot of useless gadgets. It was long before Dion's became Dion's Wire , and lost all of it's appeal in the process.

Tony Factor's?

He sold a lot of home computers. I wrote a lot of computer games for them in the early 80's. Paid me R50 a game. :)

No wasn't rave, or Tony Factor, something like Katz, I honestly don't remember, but will probably recognise it when I hear, see, it.

Loved Alley Cat.

I played it at a friends house who had a computer. Will never forget how he told me after a couple of minutes we should switch the computer off as its getting hot.

If I remember correctly one of the numbers on the wall was your high score..

Was never particularly good with that game!

No wasn't rave, or Tony Factor, something like Katz, I honestly don't remember, but will probably recognise it when I hear, see, it.

Yup,, my bad. Was Stan Katz. I always get confused between the two.

Yup,, my bad. Was Stan Katz. I always get confused between the two.

Thanks.

That's the one, how I came up with Katz I have no idea, some old neuron firing!!!

I was living in PE at the time and visiting inlaws, so the big electronic shops were very novel for us from the backwaters!!!!

Edited by HeyYou

Thanks.

That's the one, how I came up with Katz I have no idea, some old neuron firing!!!

I was living in PE at the time and visiting inlaws, so the big electronic shops were very novel for us from the backwaters!!!!

You might have ended up with some of the games I wrote for him to sell with the computers! :)

One of the first Marvel cartoons I ever watched:

I particularly remember that episode of Iron Man, and if I remember correctly, my folks got me the Iron Man cartoons on a VHS tape.

My first 'real' working PC. I think I bought it in 1986, could be 87. Looong story, but basically, I was working as a scientist and our Director didn't believe in computers, so if we wanted one, we had to buy it ourselves. I think the NCR Decision Mate cost me about 2 months salary and yes, I paid for it myself!!!!!

Kept it at home and did all my data processing at home. Wrote most of the software myself too, there was very little available commercially, other than Lotus 123.

It had a 10 meg hard drive 640k memory and a 240k floppy!!!

Crazy numbers thinking back, no wonder I'd have to leave it running overnight sometimes to crunch big data!!!

b5cf6dcaae4270a8dfbc3f5707c7fd6a.jpg

Edited by HeyYou