Who remembers?

DPG

In the early mid eighties there was these bunch of Martial Arts movies especially enter the Ninja. We were so caught up with these things we made our own swords out of flatbar, those climbing hooks, even those that fits on the feet and hands. We also made our own stars and even bought some of them...we would sometimes in school holidays board the train at Florida Station to Braamfontein Station where we will walk to the Oriental Plaza just to buy some of these stars as there was one shop that was relatively cheap with all these gadgets. We also used conduit pipe of various lengths to make an aresenal of blow pipes. The darts were made from nails which was bought at the hardware store which was further sharpenned...the "feathers" were made from wool.

We used to shoot each other and these things would pierce the skin and sometimes even penetrate the skin...nearly got my eye shot out one time as I just turned my head and this dart penetrated my upper nose bone next to my eye...

Will I do it again now that I know the danger...without a doubt yes...we had some wild imaginations at that time...

Next post chorine bombs experiments...

Dude, Enter the Ninja is a Die Antwoord song, you mean Enter the Dragon?

I think the 3 movies below, single handily created the karate industry.

250px-American_Ninja.jpg

Best-Of-The-Best-1989-580x400.jpg

193463-l.jpg?v=1400799600

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

250px-American_Ninja.jpg

American Ninja, the movie that made me want to become a Ninja when I was older, but my dad took me to karate lessons instead.

In the early mid eighties there was these bunch of Martial Arts movies especially enter the Ninja. We were so caught up with these things we made our own swords out of flatbar, those climbing hooks, even those that fits on the feet and hands. We also made our own stars and even bought some of them...we would sometimes in school holidays board the train at Florida Station to Braamfontein Station where we will walk to the Oriental Plaza just to buy some of these stars as there was one shop that was relatively cheap with all these gadgets. We also used conduit pipe of various lengths to make an aresenal of blow pipes. The darts were made from nails which was bought at the hardware store which was further sharpenned...the "feathers" were made from wool.

We used to shoot each other and these things would pierce the skin and sometimes even penetrate the skin...nearly got my eye shot out one time as I just turned my head and this dart penetrated my upper nose bone next to my eye...

Will I do it again now that I know the danger...without a doubt yes...we had some wild imaginations at that time...

Next post chorine bombs experiments...

Oh my genade...my brother also thought he was a ninja.

Chlorine bombs...the old 2L coke bottels had this black piece of plastic as a footpiece, this was our bottle of choice for these bombs. We used other liquid as well that mixed with chlorine will cause a major chemical reaction which also ends in flames. (will rather not post the liquid name in fear of the young kids that might stumble upon this post and try it with some nasty surprises).

Who rembers the small slingslot that were made from coat hanger wire with a normal elastic band and the ammo was a piece of wire with a U shape that we used to shoot each other...Afrikaans it was also known as "Lemoen Kettie" or "Kram Kettie". The ammo was not only wire but also paper rolled, small parts of an orange hooked around the elastic.

Oh my genade...my brother also thought he was a ninja.

My parents bought me a ninja set when I was pikkie. One night I waited for my neighbour to come home from work. I was perched in a tree next to his house and waited for him to walk under. When he did, I jumped out and whacked him on the head with my plastic sword.

It was the perfect ambush and executed with precision. If I was a real Ninja he would have been dead, but since I was a kid I was the one that got bliksimed.   

My parents bought me a ninja set when I was pikkie. One night I waited for my neighbour to come home from work. I was perched in a tree next to his house and waited for him to walk under. When he did, I jumped out and whacked him on the head with my plastic sword.

It was the perfect ambush and executed with precision. If I was a real Ninja he would have been dead, but since I was a kid I was the one that got bliksimed.

Jis I had a lekker laugh reading that.

250px-American_Ninja.jpg

No...Enter The Ninja was a 1981 film... Long before Die Antwoord.

My parents bought me a ninja set when I was pikkie. One night I waited for my neighbour to come home from work. I was perched in a tree next to his house and waited for him to walk under. When he did, I jumped out and whacked him on the head with my plastic sword.

Calvin, is that you? 

post-17716-0-69812600-1540286854.png

Man I thought this was the best movie ever.... Still remember the scene where the kid drops his ice cream, the symbolism was just mind blowing...

Made the mistake of watching a few minutes of this again many years later...

Man I thought this was the best movie ever.... Still remember the scene where the kid drops his ice cream, the symbolism was just mind blowing...

Made the mistake of watching a few minutes of this again many years later...

I am happy to say that I never did catch on to the ninja phase..the one thing my brother liked that I thought was doff..having to dodge flying ninja stars probably put me off..

Did we ever have adult supervision back then.[emoji23]

No, but when did become very good at avoiding the belt!

I was very good at being able to pin a lot on my one brother...

His own fault, if he wasn't so bloody naughty my mom wouldn't have believed me.

And my dad wasn't never going to give his little girl a hiding[emoji39]..perks of being the youngest and only girl.

Edited by Gen

Now that I think about it..we were pretty bloody naughty..different times.. kattekwaad.

Tok tokkie and throwing out lamp post lights..amazing that I made it out of the 80's alive..and you dare not tell your parents you were hurt while doing any of that..we had to think of some pretty good stories to explain some of our injuries...and there was always 1 bloody dog in the street that would get out and chase us down the road..normally a Rottweiler.

Neighbourhood kids getting together and playing cricket in the road..damn we even had a small quarter pipe we would carry into the street.

Neighborhood wide games of 'skop die blik'

(I think it had more than one name  :ph34r: )