wattbikes at virgin - fitness test

Most do now.

Where about are you?

Al-berton

Meyersdal VA has Watt bikes, but Newmarket only has the IG Tomahawk without BT/Ant+.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which VAs in the Gauteng area have WattBikes?

My 2 - greenstone and waterfall have them, the former has quite a few, waterfall only 4.

Most don't work properly or never get maintained, also too many idiots and non cyclists using them hence the frustration. I have cancelled my membership and use a cycling studio, much better and like minded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most don't work properly or never get maintained, also too many idiots and non cyclists using them hence the frustration. I have cancelled my membership and use a cycling studio, much better and like minded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mostly go to Little Falls VA, because the have 12 bikes. But the other day, I checked... Only 5 of the 12 were working, and by working I mean barely. Magnetic tension unwinds itself, or seats are set so that you will piss blood for a week if you ride for more than 5mins.

Had a Twitter fit, and their manager Iona promised to sort it out, but it seems that she is first taking the matter to the Constitutional Courts.

Perhaps your Cycling Studio thing is the way to go.

People using Wattbikes as warm up bikes..... The reason that I might go full Columbine in a VA one day.

between them and the resolution gym bunnies clogging up the gym, more and more I am trying as hard as possible to train outdoors...

People using Wattbikes as warm up bikes..... The reason that I might go full Columbine in a VA one day.

Or reading their books on the bike! My gym has 3 bikes. Two work fine (if you can get a spot), the other one's tension calibration is so bad on level one I push zone 2 watts for warmup!

between them and the resolution gym bunnies clogging up the gym, more and more I am trying as hard as possible to train outdoors...

Yesterday there was a queue for the circuit, and people sitting on the floors waiting for bikes. Cant wait for February. 

I Train at Groenkloof they have 7 bikes, but only 4 with Bluetooth. They are actually maintained although there is normally one that is out of order. Normally quite difficult to get a spot in the morning though.

I do train without SPD shoes as I cant see why you need them inside a gym.

Normally do not read a book though as I loose around a kilogram due to sweat while on the bike so hopefully you guys not leaving VA or going full Columbine because I do not have my bib shorts on in the gym.

Anyway if it is not raining I try to ride outside in Summer.

I Train at Groenkloof they have 7 bikes, but only 4 with Bluetooth. They are actually maintained although there is normally one that is out of order. Normally quite difficult to get a spot in the morning though.

I do train without SPD shoes as I cant see why you need them inside a gym.

Normally do not read a book though as I loose around a kilogram due to sweat while on the bike so hopefully you guys not leaving VA or going full Columbine because I do not have my bib shorts on in the gym.

Anyway if it is not raining I try to ride outside in Summer.

Thats the part that counts, not the kit or shoes, and that is obvious to see. 

You know the the that is being referred to here.

In Alberton/Germiston we're fortunate to have two watt bike studios close by, as well as a Wahoo Kickr studio.

If training at the gym is really a problem, more from bike fit than queues (there aren't any at 05:00) then I'll see if a move to one of them becomes feasible.

Fortunately, I have a crank-based PM so training at is even easier, but it's training with a few mates that helps ease the pain.

The most worn bikes that I've come across are the one's at Old Ed's VA.

Those things so used and abused that it's scary.

I've also found that the staff at VA don't really have a clue what a WattBike actually is and what it can do / be used for.

I can also loose my marbles when people get on them just to 'warm up'.

Was thinking the other day that they put the Watt Bikes on some corner of the gym so that only people that wanted to use them would walk that far.

Luckily I prefer cycling outdoors but this past weekend I had some time bonding with the Watt Bike due to the rain.

I mostly go to Little Falls VA, because the have 12 bikes. But the other day, I checked... Only 5 of the 12 were working, and by working I mean barely. Magnetic tension unwinds itself, or seats are set so that you will piss blood for a week if you ride for more than 5mins.

Had a Twitter fit, and their manager Iona promised to sort it out, but it seems that she is first taking the matter to the Constitutional Courts.

Perhaps your Cycling Studio thing is the way to go.

I do the same, or go to Honeydew when quieter, but often tempted to take a spanner.  Initial bike selection is usually done by looking for a seat angle that isn't going to to cause lasting testicular damage then see if it works.

On another note, a friend had a great name for a bar, "Resolutions", its a gym in January and a bar the rest of the year.

I transferred my VA membership to the new VA Collection at Menlyn Maine and it's worth every sent.

There actually is a Wattbike studio and a normal spinning studio and then about 8 other Wattbikes not in the studio.

the normal VA at Menlyn is getting way to crowded.

There should Be a huge notice close to these bikes that reads

"if you think FTP means file transfer protocol, kindly please use the spinning studio ~ Management"

Archived