The Beer Debate

Tree Hubber

Anyone tried this yet?

They've just launched it in SA. Will try it as soon as it is available in the shops.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've just launched it in SA. Will try it as soon as it is available in the shops.

We already have it in Jozi. Bought some this week, but nobody in the house is really an Amstel drinker, so cant comment!

I will have to go look for some this afternoon. Tomorrow after the long ride I might just want to try it out

What does it cost you to make your beers? - wanting to brew beer too.

Excluding equipment, which was about R900 including first brew, I'd guess about R275 for an effective 21 liters of beer (48 - 50 bottles). I recycle my bottles (Windhoek draft & craft beer 440/550s - part of the fun is collecting them) and that may reduce the cost compared to what the other okes said. Search the beer brewing kits forum here on thehub. Lots of info in there. Main tips: 1) Hygiene is your friend, 2) use 440ml bottles to reduce bottling labour.

I have heard SAB artificially induce the process when fermenting - anyone know more?

I have heard SAB artificially induce the process when fermenting - anyone know more?

Almost like those "artificially induced" supplements I've seen in your water bottles? :whistling:

Almost like those "artificially induced" supplements I've seen in your water bottles? :whistling:

Placebo's! you have seen me ride!

BS....BS.....BS.

The rumor started with people knowing f-all about SAB, their standards and brewing.Here is how it started. Depending on the location of the brewery SAB will have to adjust the ph of the water at the facility....this is of course if they want to ensure a castle in natal taste like a castle in polokwane. Water ph can make beers taste very different. So they adjust with chemicals....but here is the catch...So do ALL other breweries, Windhoek included. So that is where the chemical story was born...of course playing into Windhoek's hands with the whole reinheitsgebot, advertising that they don't make beer from anything but water, hops and malted barley. So if winhoek is rein(clean, pristine, natural) of course SAB isn't...very cool marketing ploy but unfortunately just that...marketing. It was actually a law passed in germany to stop people from brewing with anything they could find...from wiki

"The Reinheitsgebot was introduced in part to prevent price competition with bakers for wheat and rye. The restriction of grains to barley was meant to ensure the availability of affordable bread, as the more valuable wheat and rye were reserved for use by bakers."

So it was actually a money / tax thing more than anything else, certainly has no implication ito quality. Also the "adjuncts" add different flavour notes and the sugars also aid in fermenting to different alcohol levels. But well played and milked by NAB.

PS I don't work for SAB currently....I just know a wee bit about the processing and scale these operations function under...

We already have it in Jozi. Bought some this week, but nobody in the house is really an Amstel drinker, so cant comment!

is that a proper light beer as in low alcohol, or is it light as in low kJ like Castle Lite?

Leave some for me....I'll be there tomorrow :clap:

Make sure you book.

People in front of us were being turned away and asked to return in approximately an hour to see id theres space. The place was choc o' block last week Sunday

My wife asks me why I like going to my workshop so often.post-16512-0-55130600-1406893921_thumb.jpg

Thats your kaya outside she built for you

so the big question for all the hipsters is that if SAB start a craft beer range......is it still craft beer? :D