Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

thinking the same thing.

trying to work out a reasonable target time to complete it on a mtb.

last time i did it i was still a roadie

I did a 3:40 this year on a mtb, if I do it next year, going for 3:20 :thumbup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet there are going to be a LOT of people joining PPA in the next few days. Clever way to get extra members.

Paying a few hundred rands extra to enter early for the argus and a R30 discount. I doubt there will be a rush of new memberships, unless people enter more funrides which would make it worth while.

If I was not a PPA member and dont plan on doing a few funrides, I would wait for the general entries to open rather than joining the PPA just to enter the argus early.

I would say around 30 to 45 minutes slower on the MTB.

Flip , that much? Did a 3h30 on my mtb, so I have to do a sub 3 next year then :eek: (If I get a road bike)

what will the estimated time difference be in doing it: on a road bike vs mtb with slicks vs mtb with knoblies for the same cyclist? (or same level of cyclist)
I would say around 30 to 45 minutes slower on the MTB.

Yeah I recon you can go 2kph faster on slicks and if you lucky 5kph faster on a road bike (on avg). Would result in about 30 - 45min saving depending on how fast (slow?) you actually go on a MTB. Faster you are the less you gain.

I think the big announcement may be they are banning all MTB's this year as it is a road event. :P

ag they can just let all the mtb's start at the back, would also be fine with me....

Especially them pesky ones that ride faster than me on my road bike :cursing: ;)

Yeah I recon you can go 2kph faster on slicks and if you lucky 5kph faster on a road bike (on avg). Would result in about 30 - 45min saving depending on how fast (slow?) you actually go on a MTB. Faster you are the less you gain.

I agree 100% Was the same for me on my bikes.

I am toying with the idea of doing the first lap on my road bike and the a quick swop onto a MTB for the second. Talk about sitting on the fence. :whistling:

I agree 100% Was the same for me on my bikes.

I will be doing it on my hybrid. I hate riding in the drops, and only ride mtb all year. hoping for a sub 4 for my third Argus.

ok hectic, want to work towards a sub 4hour on my mtb.

for me thats going to take alot of work, but there is enough time left.

a sub 4 on a mtb(29er) with knoblies (and yes, i have heavy ones - crossmarks) will be a good achievement.

thats a 27.25 ave - omw - its going to take alot of work.

Where did the R700 per International entry come from? What a ripoff. 94.7 is only R350.

If you ask me it is clear why you pay R350 for the 94.7 and R700 for the Cycle Tour.  Not really a comparison.  In any case that is $64 or £38.  To put in comparison RideLondon's entry fee for foreigners is £85 and for locals £58.  Damn maybe the Cycle Tour are too cheap...... :w00t:

Dear Milky4130

We are offering PPA members who have a valid “paid-up” membership like yourself, an exclusive early entry into the 2015 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour. 

You will have a five-hour window in which to secure your entry:

•           When:  Tuesday, 16 September 2014

•           Time:  Between 10am and 3pm

•           Where:  https://online.entries.co.za/entries/

•           Important Note:  This invitation is not transferable!

The entry fee for PPA members is discounted to R400.

Remember that entries officially only open to the public on Friday, 26 September at 13h00, so make sure you make the most of this exclusive opportunity. 

We will be making an exciting announcement on the evening of 23 September, follow us on twitter or facebook to get the news first.

Twitter: @CycleTour_SA

Best wishes & safe cycling.

The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour Team. 

Archived