Crossfit

Hmpf. Poor choice of words on my part. 

I don't want to be a meathead. Just well defined and strong; able to handle my own body weight well (i.e. lots of pull-ups, squats and so on). 

My answer is annoyingly vague, but that's kind of what I'm going for. 

functional strength. 

That's crossfit's game. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

General question: 

How often and for how long would one need to attend crossfit per week to see decent results. 

My primary love is MTB, but I'm a lazy sack of **** when it comes to working out. Thinking Crossfit might be an option to get some more meat on my bones. 

After one week you will start developing a deviant personality

After two you will start trying to recruit new members to the cult

After four weeks you will start losing your inhibitions and possibly your hearing (or ability to train without background music)

After five weeks you will be classified as an aggressive extrovert (who leaves his ego at the door)

After six you will become mysteriously injured.

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

and after the 7th week you will talk about it everyday and mention to everyone "I do Crossfit"

Only to realize you are much stronger than before.

Oh no. 

I just realised if I start to do crossfit, I'll become a walking meme: a vegan crossfitter. 

Edited by Johnathan CavalierDeTempê

Oh no. 

I just realised if I start to do crossfit, I'll become a walking meme: a vegan crossfitter. 

:clap: :clap:

Hi guys, i was wondering about this thread and it's relevance to mtb. All have their own ambitions i guess so we're all looking to "cross train" to gain cycling advantage. If so.

I tried Crossfit and enjoyed it. But IMO it didnt make sense to sign up there if my goal was to improve my cycling/mtb. This is pure strength component (as mentioned above) - you are bulking up (massively) as you are supposed to continuously increase your loads and strength capabilities.

Increased strength is great for mtb and up hills....but how much is too much?

For me the cost of signing up versus the reality of wanting to ride strongly at events on a weekend did not add up. Strength training requires at least 48hour recovery period. So a Monday and possibly Wed session could/would work but then the idea is to train 4, 5 or even 7 times a week. Hence cost does not gel for me.

What do others think?

Hi guys, i was wondering about this thread and it's relevance to mtb. All have their own ambitions i guess so we're all looking to "cross train" to gain cycling advantage. If so.

I tried Crossfit and enjoyed it. But IMO it didnt make sense to sign up there if my goal was to improve my cycling/mtb. This is pure strength component (as mentioned above) - you are bulking up (massively) as you are supposed to continuously increase your loads and strength capabilities.

For me the cost of signing up versus the reality of wanting to ride strongly at events on a weekend did not add up. Strength training requires at least 48hour recovery period. So a Monday and possibly Wed session could/would work but then the idea is to train 4, 5 or even 7 times a week. Hence cost does not gel for me.

What do others think?

you don't bulk up unless you eat at an excess. So if you purely want to get stronger, you'll get stronger. You may not pick up weight at all, your body composition will just change (go from skinny fat to athletic) 

Again - muscles come from working out AND eating loads. You can't get yuuuuge without eating yuuuuge

And ALL strength gains are good. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

you don't bulk up unless you eat at an excess. So if you purely want to get stronger, you'll get stronger. You may not pick up weight at all, your body composition will just change (go from skinny fat to athletic) 

Again - muscles come from working out AND eating loads. You can't get yuuuuge without eating yuuuuge

Well said, But if Cycling is your passion - do not stop, the one compliments the other.

Oh no. 

As long as you don't vape you should be fine :ph34r:

What do others think?

It's not entirely pure strength, thats more powerlifting or weightlift or even strongman.

Crossfit's thing is functional strength.

It takes components from the majority of fitness regimes, combines them in a way to complement your lifestyle. 

Think "Pure" strength combined with muscular endurance. That's what I train for.

Also, as Myles and Dexter mentioned, weight gain is directly proportional with your eating habits. I've been doing it for 3 years and have never weighed more than 71Kg. I can squat twice my bodyweight, deadlift 2.5 times. I'm down to 65Kg now and still have that same strength.

What do others think?

If cycling is your main thing you'll battle to keep bulk on your legs regardless, spending time in that long endurance zone is just not conducive to building mass. And as above, you would need to focus heavily on eating to put size on anyway. 

I would say cross training/crossfit would be awesome for mountain biking. You learn a different type of power/strength in crossfit. Not just squat numbers but also a more functional and explosive type. A good coach will know how to get you on the right track. Speed and movement is a big part of crossfit, not just only strength.

The cost does get excessive though. adding another grand on top of whatever other clubs you're part of (and life) is tough. I'd give it a few months, once the initial aches and pains of trying something new goes away you might really get into it and then be able to justify the spend, otherwise join a globo-gym and try get those added benefits on your own accord.

Funnily enough I used to think of mountain biking as a way to get some really good leg strength, which was a supplement for crossfit at the time...

What do others think?

Recovery is a bitch that can negatively affect your riding. If you eat well you will recover quicker, but only leg workouts will be relevant to cycling. I've found that doing high intensity/low volume leg workouts on a Monday, and then High volume/low intensity on a Thursday works best for me. My legs are fine by Saturday when I do longer rides. Weekday rides, I struggle a bit. 

Monday: squats sets of 10, 8, 6, 3, max. - each set heavier & 3 x 10 D/L (lower weight)

Thursday: 1 x 20 squats & D/L sets of 10, 8, 6, 3, max. - each set heavier.

I do it this way around as D/L is a taxing exercise, but not so bad on my legs ito recovery.

LOL, yes if only it was that easy to bulk up. You need to eat a lot of food ("clean calories"), to the point of hating it in order to see actual results.

You guys have me quite tempted to give this try.

While we're on the topic of exercise and rest. Do you do strength training (legs) and spinning/ Cycling on alternate days or the same day?

I used to do strength training on Mondays and Wednesdays and spinning on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays are only upperbody and Saturdays are for long rides. 

I've read somewhere that you should do strength training and spinning on the same day, to give your legs a day to recover properly. I've tried earlier in the year for a couple of weeks, but it's quite tough to do a proper 90 min HIIT session and then strength training.

your views please.