Crossfit

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak out of turn but I'm not sure the TdF sponsors are as invested as the Crossfit ones. Rogue has become a worldwide powerhouse, they've now infiltrated strongman and the brand is just dominating a growing niche. Reebok was on the verge of getting shut-down but (from early on) absolutely nailed it with Crossfit goodies. (I think) Cycling should be so much bigger but I don't know why they're remained so firmly a fringe sport.

elaborate a bit on what you mean by "not as invested as" ?

wrt tdf sponsors, I think they are massively invested. There is no sport currently with markups on associated equipment,and growth in participation, as high as cycling.

It's why there's been broad consolidation in the industry via investment houses pulling in various brands under one management roof. Those markups need to be funnelled, and halo events such as the TDF are just the triggers for further spending.

What is interesting is that there is so much pay parity between winners of a very well established sporting spectacle that is the TDF, vs the winners of a comparatively young sport such as crossfit. Either cycling sponsors are stingy with prize money (rampage comes to mind), or crossfit is sloshing with cash.

Then again, how many games are there versus how many grand tours and other major cycling events with decent purses?

Edited by Capricorn

But then the kid that won the Fortnite world cup won $3 Million.

He's 16

E-Sports..... Again, the money we blow on entertainment..........

It is an astonishing amount of money when you think about it, R 45 Million. If he has a decent financial planner he should not need to work another day in his life... He can play games forever....

Plus if it is like most other sports the equipment providers will be falling hand-over-feet to give him whatever he wants. (Don't know the correct English phrase is here, forgive me)

elaborate a bit on what you mean by "not as invested as" ?

wrt tdf sponsors, I think they are massively invested. There is no sport currently with markups on associated equipment,and growth in participation, as high as cycling.

It's why there's been broad consolidation in the industry via investment houses pulling in various brands under one management roof. Those markups need to be funnelled, and halo events such as the TDF are just the triggers for further spending.

What is interesting is that there is so much pay parity between winners of a very well established sporting spectacle that is the TDF, vs the winners of a comparatively young sport such as crossfit. Either cycling sponsors are stingy with prize money (rampage comes to mind), or crossfit is sloshing with cash.

Then again, how many games are there versus how many grand tours and other major cycling events with decent purses?

By invested I mean Rogue and Reebok are 100% 'dependent' on the success of Crossfit (maybe Reebok to a lesser extend). I've seen them become successful brands directly from supporting the Crossfit brand. Advertising and hype has to a small degree crept out of the fringe and into the masses. 

I don't know if the cycling brands have put enough pressure on themselves to make cycling a similar brand and sport envy and therefore more extravagantly monetized the event. Its common knowledge (I think) that among any sporting fans that pro cyclists are the toughest athletes in the world. They should be able to reap more reward.

As I said I was just surmising, so I take your reply on board.

I still am waiting on a method how they determined that a crossfitter is the fittest man/woman/trans on earth. :ph34r:

Apart from the fact they not allowed to dope so there is likely a banned doper out there who is fitter....

Makes me think of the guy that wrote to all the countries in the world and said that he now lays claim to ownership of the moon, they have 30 days to dispute his claim, which they never did.

Crossfit Inc. wrote a document putting together their definition of what "fitness" is. They didn't consult any sporting body, they just published it. And they use that now as the absolute baseline to say: "look, we are going to test all of these aspects in this definition and the winner is obviously the fittest on earth" 

So, whatever Dave Castro decides is a balanced and entertaining Games structure in a given year is now the world authority on fitness?! No other sports body can make suggestion on the programming?! (Which is very biased towards lifting Rogue equipment up repeatedly) Bah!

It irritates me.

Answer me this:

Who can lay claim to be "Fastest Man on earth"?

Usain Bolt?

Wayde van Niekerk?

Eliud Kipchoge?

Lewis Hamilton?

Andy Green?

Felix Baumgartner?

All of the above? None of the above?!

At best, Matt Fraser is the Crossfit Games 2019 Male Champion. Alternatively, the best Crossfitter of 2019, though, I would give that title to Tia Toomey...

I still am waiting on a method how they determined that a crossfitter is the fittest man/woman/trans on earth. :ph34r:

Apart from the fact they not allowed to dope so there is likely a banned doper out there who is fitter....

I guess that depends on what your definition of fitness is. Does being able to run 100km in one go and not able to lift your own bodyweight off the floor make you fitter than someone who can run 30km and lift their own bodyweight off the floor 50 times in a minute? 

Matt Fraser did a 172kg clean and then swam 1km in 20mins. So he would out-swim the weightlifter and lift more weight than the swimmer. 

Of course not everyone will agree. Just telling you their thinking behind it. Basically, slightly above average at everything below: 

http://crossfittherack.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Whats-Fitness.png

Having said that, its probably impossible to find the fittest person on earth, but these guys and girls are right up there with the fittest people on earth.

Edit: The fact that weightlifters and gymnasts do so well in CrossFit (Toomey and Fraser both competitive weightlifters) does tell you where the bias is.  

Edited by Ettas

Makes me think of the guy that wrote to all the countries in the world and said that he now lays claim to ownership of the moon, they have 30 days to dispute his claim, which they never did.

Crossfit Inc. wrote a document putting together their definition of what "fitness" is. They didn't consult any sporting body, they just published it. And they use that now as the absolute baseline to say: "look, we are going to test all of these aspects in this definition and the winner is obviously the fittest on earth" 

So, whatever Dave Castro decides is a balanced and entertaining Games structure in a given year is now the world authority on fitness?! No other sports body can make suggestion on the programming?! (Which is very biased towards lifting Rogue equipment up repeatedly) Bah!

It irritates me.

Answer me this:

Who can lay claim to be "Fastest Man on earth"?

Usain Bolt?

Wayde van Niekerk?

Eliud Kipchoge?

Lewis Hamilton?

Andy Green?

Felix Baumgartner?

All of the above? None of the above?!

At best, Matt Fraser is the Crossfit Games 2019 Male Champion. Alternatively, the best Crossfitter of 2019, though, I would give that title to Tia Toomey...

Exactly

next we will check the one for "Toughest Race on Earth"

I guess that depends on what your definition of fitness is. Does being able to run 100km in one go and not able to lift your own bodyweight off the floor make you fitter than someone who can run 30km and lift their own bodyweight off the floor 50 times in a minute? 

Matt Fraser did a 172kg clean and then swam 1km in 20mins. So he would out-swim the weightlifter and lift more weight than the swimmer. 

Of course not everyone will agree. Just telling you their thinking behind it. Basically, slightly above average at everything below: 

Having said that, its probably impossible to find the fittest person on earth, but these guys and girls are right up there with the fittest people on earth

I will concede to that  :thumbup:

They are very similar to Decath/Heptathletes: not good enough to be the worlds best in a specific event, but pretty well balanced. And they also win based on points, but their Benchmark Based Points system is better than CF in my opinion.

Having said that, its probably impossible to find the fittest person on earth, but these guys and girls are right up there with the fittest people on earth. 

My point is don't claim to be the fittest if you can't prove it. 

Weightlifting has weight classes, so that 172kg is really meaningless without a reference body size which crossfit alludes to.

Someone on reddit posted about Mat running a 20min 5km as part of a sprint triathlon. That won't even top 5 the local parkrun. The ironman guys are holding similar pace over 42km, after the nearly 4km swim and the 180km bike. They also swim nearly 4 times as far at a much faster pace.

I've been doing crossfit for a few years now. And only this year have I set out some goals. And since then, I've seen great improvements with my cycling. I do mostly cardio. And leg work. And a very small eating plan.

I train more so that I can eat more ????.

I watched the various Netflix programs on the CF games. Whether you can call them fittest in the world or not, it is damn impressive what they accomplish and how hard they train.

Especialy if you do it yourself.

Out of curiosity, were the games broadcasted somewhere? Youtube?

The Crossfit Games website was live streaming. The events are still on there to watch back. I can't remember if they go to or if they are currently on YouTube.

Out of curiosity, were the games broadcasted somewhere? Youtube?

Yep, live streamed on Youtube and then each event was uploaded as it's own video after it was completed.

What was a bit irritating was the fact that the picture for each event video was the event winner raising their arms in celebration. So even before clicking on the video you would know who the winner was...at least on the last two individual events it was like that when I watched...  SPOILER much...