Crossfit

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy for Olsen, raced on to the scene way back and then never quite cut it for so many years. Great performance. Also happy for Jaime Greene, I really like her, she's like a little pit-bull.

As for the 2 winners, just from a different planet right now.

I reckon Jason will be disappointed, or at least I am, he's much better than 29th....

yep. stoked for Jaime Green.  :blush:  She really showed up this year. 

I do love how we can turn functional fitness into a competitive sport!

I've often been a skeptic of how legitimate a 'sport' crossfit actually is, compared to other big activities.

Especially with the harsher change in rules this games I kept saying it must be tough to program this because what if you accidentally knock out the big names who obviously bring in the spectators and money.

Turns out, as I've often been proved wrong, during the open, during random smaller events, during the games, the very best really are the best regardless of the workout. It really has become possible to be good at 'crossfit'. If Novak Djokovic walks on a court you expect him to crush it and get to the final, as he does. If Matt Fraser walks into ANY event be damn sure he'll be on the top step at the end. 

Somehow these top people have found a way to be able to do almost everything with borderline world class outcomes. Its awesome.

I still am waiting on a method how they determined that a crossfitter is the fittest man/woman/trans on earth. :ph34r:

Apart from the fact they not allowed to dope so there is likely a banned doper out there who is fitter....

I've often been a skeptic of how legitimate a 'sport' crossfit actually is, compared to other big activities.

Especially with the harsher change in rules this games I kept saying it must be tough to program this because what if you accidentally knock out the big names who obviously bring in the spectators and money.

Turns out, as I've often been proved wrong, during the open, during random smaller events, during the games, the very best really are the best regardless of the workout. It really has become possible to be good at 'crossfit'. If Novak Djokovic walks on a court you expect him to crush it and get to the final, as he does. If Matt Fraser walks into ANY event be damn sure he'll be on the top step at the end. 

Somehow these top people have found a way to be able to do almost everything with borderline world class outcomes. Its awesome.

I totally get what you are saying. I used to CrossFit 3 times a week. I was RX comfortably for some stuff but was terrible at others. I gave it up to surf more before I could develop my gym skills and get my clean to a decent standard.

I don't discount how amazingly good at handstands and sand bag tossing these guys are, but it is just funny that when you throw 'MURIKA into a sport it becomes a multi million dollar industry with TV rights and and and and.... 

They certainly know how to make hype and expand interest. Look what they did with Ninja warrior!

I totally get what you are saying. I used to CrossFit 3 times a week. I was RX comfortably for some stuff but was terrible at others. I gave it up to surf more before I could develop my gym skills and get my clean to a decent standard.

I don't discount how amazingly good at handstands and sand bag tossing these guys are, but it is just funny that when you throw 'MURIKA into a sport it becomes a multi million dollar industry with TV rights and and and and.... 

They certainly know how to make hype and expand interest. Look what they did with Ninja warrior!

Total whataboutery but fun to put into figures:

The total prize money for the whole Games is about the same as 1 weeks wage for Messi....

The total prize money for the whole Games is about the same as 1 weeks wage for Messi....

How would the CrossfitGames winnings measure up against what Bernal won at the TDF? Serious question, I have no idea how it all compares?

How would the CrossfitGames winnings measure up against what Bernal won at the TDF? Serious question, I have no idea how it all compares?

Bernal - USD557k (Fraser USD300k) only first place money, who knows the endorsements.

Total prize money at TdF very similar with USD2.5m

Bernal - USD557k (Fraser USD300k) only first place money, who knows the endorsements.

Total prize money at TdF very similar with USD2.5m

Cool, it is actually in the same ballpark. Somehow I thought Fraser would have won 10 times more.

Cycling still has allot of work to do to convert the eyes-on-screen to money for the riders. I would guess the TDF had 100 times the amount of viewing hours compared to CF.

Thanks

Yeah... Look, I find the numbers behind pro sportsing ridiculous.

It is entertainment. The amount of money we blow on entertainment is crazy.

Cool, it is actually in the same ballpark. Somehow I thought Fraser would have won 10 times more.

Cycling still has allot of work to do to convert the eyes-on-screen to money for the riders. I would guess the TDF had 100 times the amount of viewing hours compared to CF.

Thanks

I speak out of turn but I'm not sure the TdF sponsors are as invested as the Crossfit ones. Rogue has become a worldwide powerhouse, they've now infiltrated strongman and the brand is just dominating a growing niche. Reebok was on the verge of getting shut-down but (from early on) absolutely nailed it with Crossfit goodies. (I think) Cycling should be so much bigger but I don't know why they're remained so firmly a fringe sport.

But then the kid that won the Fortnite world cup won $3 Million.

He's 16

Have you seen the packed stadiums they play in?! puts the NFL to shame