Crossfit

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everything in life you get out what you out in.

If you try and throw around the big weights with poor technique you'll end up making physios rich.

If you're humble and grow into the sport you'll end up a well rounded athlete.

It won't help your cycling hut but it's great "life" exercise.

Like everything in life you get out what you out in.

If you try and throw around the big weights with poor technique you'll end up making physios rich.

If you're humble and grow into the sport you'll end up a well rounded athlete.

It won't help your cycling hut but it's great "life" exercise.

A lot of physios are smiling I reccon. I have a lag when I run around in our hood and check these guys and girls runing with masive weights and not loving life, or atleast the look on their face says they don't. Each to their own I suppose but this is not for me.

I have been doing crossfit for just over two years, and now, having just turned 40, am in the best shape I have been in since school.

I am loving the technical Olympic lifting.

I have had a couple of niggles, but mostly that is from old injuries being stressed a bit, but my new extra muscle mass has also saved me from more serious injuries on a couple of heavy mtb falls.

Unfortunately, crossfit alone is not enough, as it does nothing for your endurance fitness.

Like everything in life, a bit of balance and a bit of common sense goes a long way.

A lot of physios are smiling I reccon. I have a lag when I run around in our hood and check these guys and girls runing with masive weights and not loving life, or atleast the look on their face says they don't. Each to their own I suppose but this is not for me.

You ares right though, but I think it goes much deeper and further than that .

Most people nowadays have social media and use it for attention whoring .

The issue at hand is that Mr. or Mrs. lard@$$ might have done sport at school or even worse never done anything physical.

Now they have cross fit, a disciple where you can come across as a mean physical specimen .

What makes it even more appealing is that you can attention whore around it on various social media platforms .

It's an image driven sport IMHO and cannot be sustained in to old age .

If you want a sport that can be sustained until old age or until your bank account implodes try this:

http://www.finneuropeans.org/ec2008/finn_photo/2007/big/JRT2824.jpg

Basic start up for a beater boat is about R8000. New boat is around R150 000.  The average age (sailor) of the fleet in South Africa is around 45+, with boats been tweaked for some masters who are over 70 years old.  Alternatively there are dolphins, sprogs, FD's, lasers, 505's 470's, Extra's, Fireballs, Sonnets.  (and no chance of being hit by a car or held up at knife point)

I went to the event at supersport park over the weekend for a look-see (Last Team standing)

Way too much testosterone there (and that includes the woman)

Anyway, will be doing another class tonight, but I haven't been this sore since my first comrades.

You ares right though, but I think it goes much deeper and further than that .

Most people nowadays have social media and use it for attention whoring .

The issue at hand is that Mr. or Mrs. lard@$$ might have done sport at school or even worse never done anything physical.

Now they have cross fit, a disciple where you can come across as a mean physical specimen .

What makes it even more appealing is that you can attention whore around it on various social media platforms .

It's an image driven sport IMHO and cannot be sustained in to old age .

Wyatt, you make some good points. To be honest, the attention whore aspect is one of the things I really don't like about Crossfit. 

I have seen some amazing things achieved by people that have done nothing physical before they discovered Crossfit, and they are justified in being proud of their achievements, BUT sometimes they take the Facebook posts, Selfies, Twitter thingies, etc too far. I don't need to know every time they manage to lift a half kilogram more than the last time.

Crossfit has grown faster than most sports in the last few years, and a lot of people have climbed onto the bandwagon. I guess it will all settle down as the sport reached some kind of maturity. Only time will tell if it falls over in the same way that Aerobics did.

As for the Öld age" thing - I am 40 and in better shape than I was at 25. I see myself getting fitter and stronger in the next few years before I start to decline like everyone does as they get older. If I one is not stupid about it there is no reason not to do it until old age. We have a 60 year old lady that participates in our classes, and she is getting fitter and stronger, and loving it.

I went to the event at supersport park over the weekend for a look-see (Last Team standing)

Way too much testosterone there (and that includes the woman)

Anyway, will be doing another class tonight, but I haven't been this sore since my first comrades.

We had about 7 teams there from our "Box", ranging from first timers in the Rookie division to our top athletes in the Elite division (I was somewhere in the middle of Rookie.)

Some of the top athletes are terrifying (that includes some "women")! I do battle to understand how someone can get that big without taking something. Random drug testing is becoming more and more prevalent in these comps, which is a good thing.

• 2 months later...

Update on this topic.

I am now in my 3rd month of crossfit.

Must say I am really enjoying it. Actually looking forward to each class.

nice way to fill up training on the days it is too cold to go out riding or running. Started very easy on all training that you use weights, and made sure I got the technique right.

Touch wood, no injuries sofar

Pro's:

* I lost 3kg, and already can notice more muscle mass

* I recover quicker after my runs

* A run faster and can sustain for longer (did my 10km TT 2 weeks ago in just over 40min)

* I can wear clothes again from a few years back

* Can actually do a static pull up for the first time in years

Cons:

My cycling took a knock. After doing serious squat and jump session, hill training is a bitch, but that's OK, more concentrating on running at the moment

My 5 cents, Ive done Crossfit for around 3 years, is a nice alternative / crosstraining option, however does fatigue your muscles a lot, and this definitely affects cycling. However, what the people I train with have done is created a cycling specific cross training, which ties in certain crossfit movements / principals, however focuses on a lot of muscle balance type work, and everyone that has tried it has seen massive results! We train in fourways at Cedar Square, you might have seen us, training on the artificial skiing slope! If you in the area, come try it out, I guarantee it makes you stronger on the bike, and you notice a massive difference in your recovery times!!. PM me for more info if you keen.