Crossfit

Anyone been trying crossfit out?

I get bored easily.

So, my usual cycling and running regime is boring me. Feel like changing things up a bit with a bit of crossfit.

Welcome opinions.

Da Butcher speakies ze troeth......and make sure your medical aid is fully paid up and covers the necessary scans, procedures and interventions when the chassis gets bent out of shape (orthopeadics). Crossfit has contributed to a steady income for GP's and physios...........GOLDEN RULE........take it slow and leave your ego at the door.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, I have a physio friend who says their rooms have never been busier since it started taking off. Brings them more business than many other sports combined.

Why not try swimming as a third discipline? It's quite a technical sport, so should keep you interested.....and then in March come do the Ironman. :P

I like the way you think.

I'm a huge fan of CrossFit. Been doing it for just over a yet now. Love the variety, intensity. To be honest, I'm never going to be a professional cyclist so I don't really care if Crossfit costs me a few minutes. But I've never been stronger, more healthier and flexible in my life. Crossfit might not improve my seeding (maybe it has, who knows) but I know for sure it has added years onto my cycling future and that's more important to me.

If you try CF, please use a proper box with more than level 1 certified coaches, you will be surprised at what they can teach you. Safely too. Remember, everyone is using the term Crossfit, doesn't mean its the real thing.

I've been doing cross fit for about a year now and ya it hasn't exactly improved my riding dramatically, although I do feel it has helped. It has however made me feel like a far more rounded "athlete" ( not even sure I can call myself one at the moment). If you want to be a pro cyclist or take your cycling very seriously then stick to the bike as it will effect your cycling training to some degree. I enjoy it as the place I go is very sociable, with friendly people and a great vibe! As with WrightJnr I feel much stronger, healthier, flexible and just more well rounded physically! As with the injury side, if you don't go in with a massive ego and understand and respect your limits I honestly don't think you will have a problem! Get a proper coach, follow his/ her instructions exactly and don't let you ego get in the way.

The only way you'll know for sure is to give it a try

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading a couple of mixed views here.

I'm looking at supplementing my mtb'ng with something that can get me stronger and overall in better shape. I'm not the religious gym fanatic and don't have gym training partners, so just buggering around 2 - 3 times a week in the morning is not giving any type of results.

If not Crossfit, are there any other cross type training programs that anybody can advise on, even if it is in the gym that can assist? Not to sound like a pansy but I'm already snapping and cracking in certain places when I get up in the morning and not a big fan getting any new injuries.

Not exactly the same (or as exciting as CF) but have been doing a bodyweight exercise programme called simplefit - combo of pull-ups, pushups and squats for twenty minutes, three times a week.

For the time spent, the results have been good ito strength gains, and little bit of muscle too ;)

The website is simplefit.org if you want to check it out.

• 7 months later...

I dug this topic up.

Will go to my first crossfit class today.

Havent done any core exercises in 6 months.

Gonna die....

Turning 40 this year, so decided I need to start doing something in addition to running and cycling to build some muscle mass and fight the age.

Enjoy trying to stand up from the loo for the next two days!! LOL. I'm a 3 times a week crosfitter. There are supports and haters. Everyone to their own. I've been very happy with the results and the variety keeps me motivated. There's also that inner competitive spirit cyclists have that just plays nicely with Crossfit Workouts. Hope you enjoyed.

Last night was just and intro and next week Wednesday we will start the ramp-up class. Must say I am more useless in the upper body than I thought.

But looking forward to something new

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first full class last night

Met "Annie" and "skin the cat" and fought a dragon

I am not well today..

This is skin the cat:

Edited by RABUBI

Did my first full class last night

Met "Annie" and "skin the cat" and fought a dragon

I am not well today..

This is skin the cat:

Sod that...

And don't the crossfitters just love their jargon. WOD, Amrap , Kipping , Fran , Pistols and a dozen others. Both my sons are involved in the sport . It is very ,very hard.