How good is the "good" advice in the technical section

fabes

I don't often post in this section as I am not well clued up on the technical ins and outs around the bicycle, however I do come and read up on a few threads if I have a technical issue/problem on my bike to try and see if I can resolve it myself without having to pop in at LBS.

The first reason for me not posting a problem or issue is that I am afraid of the reaction I might receive and secondly I am not sure how great some of the advice is around here lately. I will see someone respond to a question with his solution to the problem then comes the second guy and says the total opposite of what the first person said. And then the big fight starts and the OP still doesn't have an answer to his/her question

So how good is the "good" advice around here?

Edited by fabes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As with any advise - take what you can, use some common sense and carry on.

Only a Goliath Grouper swallows everything whole!

In the words of Baz Lurman - Be careful who`s advise you buy - but be patient with those who divulge it for free.

I don't often post in this section as I am not well clued up on the technical ins and outs around the bicycle, however I do come and read up on a few threads if I have a technical issue/problem on my bike to try and see if I can resolve it myself without having to pop in at LBS.

The first reason for me not posting a problem or issue is that I am afraid of the reaction I might receive and secondly I am not sure how great some of the advice is around here lately. I will see someone respond to a question with his solution to the problem then comes the second guy and says the total opposite of what the first person said. And then the big fight starts and the OP still doesn't have an answer to his/her question

So how good is the "good" advice around here?

i think there are many ways to skin a cat...the one that makes most sense to you and fits your tooling and skillset is the best advice. my 2c

look at youtube for how to's ....

then compliment that with specific questions not found in the youtube ...

As with any advise - take what you can, use some common sense and carry on.

Only a Goliath Grouper swallows everything whole!

In the words of Baz Lurman - Be careful who`s advise you buy - but be patient with those who divulge it for free.

Advice :ph34r:

A lot of shooting in the dark occurs in the technical section. So even if one does get all these vague replies, it at least gives you a rough idea on how to go about your your problem if the solution didn't crop up.

Well I suppose it ranges from...

"Really bad" to "Pretty good" to "Really good" it really just depends what you are asking....

Jokes aside, Peoples reply in this forum would be taken from their own past experiences, which worked for them, but may not work for you, best bet would be to ask the question here then once you get an answer you could google/youtube it, at least its a starting point, some advice is better than no advice, and the more advice you get the better the odds are that you will pick the right answer.

I do everything myself I have never had the need to go to the LBS this is purely on principle as I don't trust them with my pride and joy, there is a vast amount of knowledge on the world wide interweb, you can find out how to do pretty much anything, so just research and don't accept the first answer you get to be the gospel truth...

Simply do some homework, there are other MTB forums out there so if an answer on The Hub is similar to the ones you find elsewhere then it should have some credibility. Common sense should prevail though. Telling someone to put Q20 on their brakes discs/pads because they squeak is an example....!

Yeah, Fabes. Sometimes it's a case of the guy who actually knows something about your problem not seeing the thread, or being drowned out by the "you're stupid, this is what's wrong" brigade (which changes from time to time)

You do have a very good source of info in the Sheriff, as well as Droo, JB (at times - sometimes he has interesting ideas) Iwan Kemp, Capricorn and a few others that I haven't mentioned.

I think a lot of what happens is that if someone has an opposing viewpoint that they honestly believe is right, they defend it to the last and then when proven wrong they revert to attacking the person who proved them wrong (happened to me when I proved edit: Topwine wrong on a med aid matter) and then they just don't change their viewpoint even though they're wrong.

A lot of the time though, what we see in the tech qna is what has worked for the posters when they had the same / a similar problem. I think that's the case, at least.

As with anything in life though - it's best to take a methodical approach, ruling out the bits that don't apply to you, either by trying ans discarding or analysing your problem and determining which "solution" has the same symptoms as you had.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

look at youtube for how to's ....

Yup - that. There's virtually nothing you won't find on YouTube...take the advice you get from whichever source and check on the Toob - with the added advantage that there are usually demo's as well.

Edited by Karooryder

Yup - that. There's virtually nothing you won't find on YouTube...take the advice you get from whichever source and check on the Toob - with the added advantage that there are usually a demo as well.

100%