Who has the right of way?

georges

Slightly off topic, but I also get quite irritated when people having mech's or take a breather do so in the middle of the road and do not leave enough space to pass.

Or stop at the top of a hill to admire the view/rest and do so in the middle of it...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, But in saying that, I know where my weak point is which is why I make sure it is easy for faster riders to pass me.

On jeep track / district road you shouldnt need to move over, there is ample space. If its a race then unfortunately its up to you to pass, not for them to move over. Is what it is

Slightly off topic, but I also get quite irritated when people having mech's or take a breather do so in the middle of the road and do not leave enough space to pass.

Or stop at the top of a hill to admire the view/rest and do so in the middle of it...

Yep, off the bike = off the trail / track.

Unfortunately not, you need to work on your climbing / seeding so that come singletrack, you will arrive there first. Alternatively work on your passing skills if you don't want to do hills.

Haha, whenever this topic comes up (even in discussions off the hub) I think back to that pump donating 'discussion' we had...

:whistling: :ph34r:

Edited by Tubehunter

Well, the person who has line has right of way.

You yell track at me and you may end up eating it. I dont deal well with people shouting at me!

Jokes aside. Only when it is safe to pass. Single track is exactly that, SINGLE TRACK

If I ring my bell will that suit you?

Haha, whenever this topic comes up (even in discussions off the hub) I think back to that pump donating 'discussion' we had...

:whistling: :ph34r:

Waaaahahhaa those were the days my friend....

pomp is a pomp ou pel :clap: :clap:

Stop doing Cross Country races and check out Enduro!

I've been racing motocross and Enduros (Motorbike) for years only been on a bicycle for about 2 years now. I do, do bicycle enduros but enjoy the longer rides to, all I was saying was if everyone respected their fellow rider things would run allot smoother. Unless you are one of the top guys you aren't technically racing against anyone else but your own time, whats half a second slowing down and pulling over slightly to let a faster rider through gonna do to your overall time on a 40/60km race?

Stop doing Cross Country races and check out Enduro!

Cross country races makes you faster in technical stuff. Marathon races [and I know because I ride Marathon] makes you lazy, those 3 arrows are hardly technical considering the stuff you do in XCO.

So my 2 cents...

If you're not in A batch, series contender or recognised pro, I will let you pass as soon as it is safe. There is no way I'm going to pull off for Mr. ScreamsPass who is only a slightly faster in single track or on a descent, till we hit a climb or rock section and I drop him.

I've been racing motocross and Enduros (Motorbike) for years only been on a bicycle for about 2 years now. I do, do bicycle enduros but enjoy the longer rides to, all I was saying was if everyone respected their fellow rider things would run allot smoother. Unless you are one of the top guys you aren't technically racing against anyone else but your own time, whats half a second slowing down and pulling over slightly to let a faster rider through gonna do to your overall time on a 40/60km race?

That was what Eldron was referring to in his post...however, you cannot demand / get upset if someone doesnt move over for you cause the knife cuts both ways...what is a half a second mean to you sitting behind someone...both parties are mos not racing

Live and let live

This is one area that I get frustrated in, I'm pretty slowish on the long climbs which are usually on jeep track or more open sections of trail, in these areas where I know I am slower I do my utmost to keep out the way of the faster riders even if it means me riding off the trail, I just feel its common decency to not mess up other guys times, then when we enter the technical stuff/ downhills/ fast flowing single track I end up catching all the guys that have just passed me on the climbs of which 90% of them will not move over even when I ask politely, it builds up to a point where you have to force your way passed them making it unsafe for both of you (more for them) I feel just some courtesy should be had, If someone is faster than you, let him pass when it is safe to do so and everyone will enjoy the event allot more. It cant be much fun having someone pressurizing you and breathing down your neck through technical stuff that you aren't comfortable riding to begin with.

Amen brother, did a race where I was catching people on single track after my hanger bracket had snapped off and my derailleur and chain was in my backpack. Some people just need to admit they are slower and move over.

That being said try and be polite and ask nicely for a gap. I usually find that looking for a decent overtake spot and then saying something like "passing left" does usually help.

Equally, if you're behind me, you're unlikely to be one of the top guys either. What's half a second waiting for a safe spot to pass me?

Once upon a time I was coming down the right hand side of a jeeptrack on the Knysna.The oke in front of me stayed put and would not move over to the left.Ok so I go left.He gets into a speed wobble on the ball bearings and swerves into me and falls his gat af.I did not feel any sympathy.

I cannot understand why,if a stronger rider is coming up from behind we cannot just politely move over and get on with life with no aggro or hassle....

If you're racing for a prize then whoever is in front has right of way.

If you're racing for fun then let the fastest rider through (if you can).

when i see chit like this that I remember why I'm not heartwarmingly-welcoming to new cyclists. Give way to the cyclist that trained longer and harder than you did

Edited by Dirkitect

Nothing worse than a person that cant ride single track properly holding you up.

If you cant ride it properly stick to the less technical races that hve 90% Jeep track.

DYLS I hear you big time