Self defence on rides

jusbob

So it's generally agreed that if you want to stay safe, ride in a group. However, sometimes its not always possible or you just want to get out and do a solo ride.

With that in mind, are there any known methods out there for giving yourself a bit of a fighting chance to ride off with your ride and hide intact.

Would something like easily accessible pepper spray or the like be a good deterrent? Or does any proactive action to protect yourself usually end badly?

Anyone got some strange methods for keeping safe solo?

Edited by jusbob

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what your schedule is like, but, if you're serious about it, I'd say take up a martial art.

Personally, I do Ninjitsu. I'd recommend that, Krav Maga, or Systema. All 3 of those are 'dirty' fighting but practical things you can use in real life situations. They're all very close up fighting techniques, and the only martial arts where even your defensive moves are towards an attacker.

I ride with pepper spray, stuck under the leg of my shorts. You need in close for if you get hit off the bike. But the important thing is pick you fights! If the attacker has a gun, give the bike. If he has a butter knife, m@er him! Also the odds that you'll be attacked by only one is slim, so once again, pick your fights. 

The problem is that if they have a firearm then you dont have much of a chance, the risk is too big. You get a telescopic batton that extends and becomes a very effective weapon. But I would only use that if there is no firearm.

Terwyl die gevaar van motors van agter en voetgangers wat my kan aanval deur my gedagtes gaan  ry ek onlangs op die R304 naby die vrugteverkopers sentimeters verby die letterlike slang in die gras.  

Guest DieBees

I ride with pepper spray, stuck under the leg of my shorts. You need in close for if you get hit off the bike. But the important thing is pick you fights! If the attacker has a gun, give the bike. If he has a butter knife, m@er him! Also the odds that you'll be attacked by only one is slim, so once again, pick your fights.

I agree with you most... Pick your fight right... The other day I had to discharge my pepperspray for the first time I have ever had it. It was on a mad beast of a dog who first attacked a poor bergie and then he turned his attention to me. He stormed me and, and well, it happened. The bergie was bitten bad and i escaped the savage. Luckily the dog was incapacitated. I later learned that the dog belonged to the hotel owner and that he has been acting mental the last few months. That was surely the last of that! I felt bad at first. But i will tell you one thing, the minute the pepper spray hit the 65kg boerboel it was asif he was tied up and drawn back by something. Thank God!

Edited by DieBees

[quote name="Lurch" post="2452387" timestamp="

and the only martial arts where even your defensive moves are towards an attacker.

Not true .

Then I stand corrected, as far as I knew it is only the 3 I mentioned. What else?

Karate and Aikido both are a self defense Martial Art, yet both allow good attacks by simply defending.

The problem I have with all these courses and things people do, I am in favour of it, I must just add.

The issue however, going to one or two classes a week is not going to help in the heat of the moment, most people will hit a complete blank and forget what they learnt.

Muscle memory and second nature is the key, you can take most classes and ask people to show you two hours after the class what they learnt, step by step and they would have forgotten.

That is step by step, when the poo hits the fan the attacker will not be a willing partner.

I hand the bike over and call my insurance for an upgrade. I'd love to know how to handle myself but alas I can't imagine I'd do too well against a group of screwdriver-wielding nyaope heads.

I agree with what Wyatt said.

A lot of people do self-defence courses or even practice "martial arts", but don't have the years of practice and muscle memory to apply the techniques in high stress situations. Further, if you aren't regularly struck by your opponent during these classes, it is a big problem. If a guy gives you a proper punch to the head/face and it's not something that you've experienced before, most people are so shocked/disorientated. that all their training counts for ****. 

My primary concern nowadays are the bloody dogs during my training rides in the 'burbs.

Hardly a ride goes by when a Rottweiler or some other pooch doesn't try to have a taste of my ankles. 

Almost got a nasty bite from an over-excited Labrador the other day. Seriously, who gets bitten by a Labrador?!