[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #4 Van Gaalen

WesselvdWalt

This is probably the single stupidest comment I have read all weekend, and I have just been on News24 for the last hour....

Ok let me rephrase my comment.

Its shocking to see the lack of skill some mtbikers have, and too make it worse they are riding bikes that I have no idea what they are doing on, and by the looks of it, neither do they.

As others stated, the floating bridge was a mess due to lack of SKILL, but I do agree that there needs to be an alternative route. The water crossings they also could have temporarily build something across but with single track like that it did not bother me that much.

Overall it was a great race and my body feels like it feels after a Trans Baviaans.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just out of curiosity, what was your time?

i was near the front of C batch and we stood for about 25 minutes waiting to cross the bridge.

Started in F and we waited about 40-45 min to cross. Ended up with a official time of 5:11. Will definitely do it with the single speed again but no ways In riding rigid again.

So wil6, judging by your comments about people riding bikes they shouldn't be, in groups where the don't belong, I take it you are a MTB riding god? Just a quick question - why are you in F? From the sound of it you should have been mixing it with Gawie and Nico and Brand and the boys...

Improve your seeding it won't be an issue..

After reading comments from other's seeded much higher than I was they had the same issue at the bridge.

I am trying to improve my seeding and yesterday was well on my way to achieving this until I was stopped at the bridge for 43 minutes. When it came to my turn I just cycled across with no issues so I don't know what was causing the massive delay.

"Improving" our seeding is easier said than done when we come to partake in a race which ends up having a huge mess.

Anyways enough bitching, the race and course was epic. Trail had me smiling and I really enjoyed it. Will definitely be in for it again, hopefully it will be problem free!

After reading comments from other's seeded much higher than I was they had the same issue at the bridge.

I am trying to improve my seeding and yesterday was well on my way to achieving this until I was stopped at the bridge for 43 minutes. When it came to my turn I just cycled across with no issues so I don't know what was causing the massive delay.

"Improving" our seeding is easier said than done when we come to partake in a race which ends up having a huge mess.

Anyways enough bitching, the race and course was epic. Trail had me smiling and I really enjoyed it. Will definitely be in for it again, hopefully it will be problem free!

I understand fully, I was lucky enough not to have any issues and had a clear track over the bridge.. That said, it takes more than one race to improve your seeding, constant racing and small improvements is usually how it goes..

I don't agree with you about the bridge being sub-standard.

Agree! The bridge was the same condition as it was last year. 

ANYTHING that causes a 40-80 minute delay in a race of 4-5 hours for Joe Soap is SUB STANDARD. Full friggin stop - that bridge stunt was ridiculous. 

Waiting for 40 mins then being told to portage over a rocky mountain in cleats is SUB STANDARD. Ouch, my carbon.

MTBing is hardcore - not for oukies in lady-pants. Waiting in line for some dumb@$$ bridge with no way around is not MTBing.

Organisers - get it right or limit your numbers. FFS

Ok thanks I feel better now  :thumbup: Seriously though wtflip haha

The route was great, but I suffered on that technical downhill with my rigid. My choice to ride this with my Single Speed....not the best but it was fun and had a great day, except for the floating bridge cock up. Started in F batch for the marathon and waited 40min to get across.

If it was not for the single track the second part of the route after the floating bridge until the finish, I would have been a very pee off mtbiker

And for you dirt roadies, please sell your 60k+ mountain bikes and get the hell of our trails. You messing it up for everyone

Oh our humblest apologies uber god of mountain biking, how dare we hold you back with your amazing F seeding.

Stupid comment.

Agg jirre you boys are pansies i rode that downhill and bridge perfectly fine in last years van gaalen series ... and it was my first marathon

And for you dirt roadies, please sell your 60k+ mountain bikes and get the hell of our trails. You messing it up for everyone

Whoa...! Chips everybody, champion of F batch coming through. Maybe save up 60k plus for a MTB and you'll automatically get seeded with your fellow pro's, and not caught up in a part of the field that leaves you so bitter. Want a nice open trail in front of you...? Be less *** and start in A then...

Did the Ultra on Saturday and have to say there was nothing wrong with the route besides it being awesome :w00t: Legs were tired yesterday but that was to be expected.

To me the bridge was the same as all the previous years...........perfect. Just had to keep the pace and it was easy. We still had about a 15 minute wait for guys that fell in because they were going too slowly.

The only way the organizers can stop the bottlenecks would be to remove all the fun stuff from the race so suck it up and get some technical training or improve your seeding and wait for less time. Alternatively make a few friends and just have fun.

Proper Mountain Biking!! :clap:

Whoa...! Chips everybody, champion of F batch coming through. Maybe save up 60k plus for a MTB and you'll automatically get seeded with your fellow pro's, and not caught up in a part of the field that leaves you so bitter. Want a nice open trail in front of you...? Be less *** and start in A then...

Hehe, julle manne is taai. OK OK hide your pitch forks and settle down :clap:

Stupid comment and I do apologize.  What was your time man?

Hehe, julle manne is taai. OK OK hide your pitch forks and settle down :clap:

Stupid comment and I do apologize.  What was your time man?

You first......

You first......

The same as everyone's, I did ........ but lost ......... at the bridge. (No I didn't ride)

What a lekker day it was!!!!

I woke up at the obscene time my alarm went off, knowing there was gonna be some *** I decided to roll over and spoon with the Mrs :thumbup:

She got a temp report from 2 of her mates doing it, I got chilly listening to that, snuggled in a bit closer.

Woke up again at 8am, had an awesome cup of coffee with biscuits and a fire heating the lounge.

Cruised to the shops at 12 and then to a braai in the afternoon, sucked back a good few beers.... day was great.

I didnt fall in any water

I didnt get cold

Great success of my Van Gaalens day