The "I hate Specialized" Bandwagon...... what's the deal?

L.T.G

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to book and pay for mine and my partners and he was on a Trek.

Your point is valid but it's still so cool that a brand would offer that free service to their loyal customers. Maybe the other big brand should do the same, or don't they appreciate their loyal customers.... That's actually a good point, are other brand cyclists as loyal to said brand as the Spez guys are to theirs. I know Cannondale seems to have a loyal following, but the others?

Back to the event. You guys must have incurred a cost, did Spez cover those costs?

If so then they can of course say their loyal customers must come first, after all the money used for that exercise would partly come from the sale of said bikes, hence the steep prices :)

So either I paid for a service and therefore my bike takes priority, or Spez covered the costs and therefore their bikes take priority.

Like I said, I'm sure you/those guys would have helped if there was capacity and you guys were sitting around drinking vanilla milks, but I've seen and appreciate how hard those dudes at the mechanic tents work.

If not, why the hell didn't you help the poor guy, sis man :)

Spec is the only manufacturer where the factory has a direct relationship with the distributor. I'm not sure if thats equity in the company or what but the other distributors work on the more conventional model where they buy their stock AND cover marketing costs. AFAIK SPec USA covers marketing costs for the SA arm. Thats why they offer what they do.

Cannondale don't cover marketing costs outside of the USA and the other brands don't either.

Ooih what a post. My opinion... I recon spez has great if not the best engineering. They look awesome. I dont like the brain. There standard components are absolute crap. X9 and elixir brakes and magura breaks... and on top of that it costs a fortune. I get the price, yes no problem. But match it with decent gear. I believe aftersales service and access to original spes spares is waiting game, so u off ur bike. Ive seen Burry with couple bust Roval wheels... so ya me personally, at a push I would buy a frame. Stick to my santa cruz thanks. Best dual suspension bike. Maybe a spark?? Do s-works epic have rider weight limits?

I know its Friday but has anyone seen a broken Spaz at an LBS recently?

I spotted a s works epic in the rubbish trashed frame bin outside at conters the other day

I had to book and pay for mine and my partners and he was on a Trek.

Your point is valid but it's still so cool that a brand would offer that free service to their loyal customers. Maybe the other big brand should do the same, or don't they appreciate their loyal customers.... That's actually a good point, are other brand cyclists as loyal to said brand as the Spez guys are to theirs. I know Cannondale seems to have a loyal following, but the others?

Back to the event. You guys must have incurred a cost, did Spez cover those costs?

If so then they can of course say their loyal customers must come first, after all the money used for that exercise would partly come from the sale of said bikes, hence the steep prices :)

So either I paid for a service and therefore my bike takes priority, or Spez covered the costs and therefore their bikes take priority.

Like I said, I'm sure you/those guys would have helped if there was capacity and you guys were sitting around drinking vanilla milks, but I've seen and appreciate how hard those dudes at the mechanic tents work.

If not, why the hell didn't you help the poor guy, sis man :)

We were paid by LePeloton, the then importers of the brand at the time.

All spares were purchased by them and all that money went back to them.

We worked our fingers to the bone, I was servicing three of four forks between midnight and bed time .

The Epic one I did was much more relaxed.

They had a few teams paid up for transportation to the event, servicing and then bikes back.

I would ride as much of the route in the morning and work from when the first teams on our watch came in (it was the first clover leaf epic)

There I worked on all sorts of bikes, I was servicing forks on the pavement at the prologue, one of those was for Mark Fish, I have never met such an appreciative guy.

I worked on Suzi's rear shock at Greyton (if I recall)

I was privileged to repair Tom Ritchey's wheels for him after a tough and rocky stage.

We eventually got hunted down by quite a few foreigners wanting us to do all sort of repairs on their bikes.

It was great, they were happy to pay and then still add beers to their gratitude .

We were paid by LePeloton, the then importers of the brand at the time.

All spares were purchased by them and all that money went back to them.

We worked our fingers to the bone, I was servicing three of four forks between midnight and bed time .

The Epic one I did was much more relaxed.

They had a few teams paid up for transportation to the event, servicing and then bikes back.

I would ride as much of the route in the morning and work from when the first teams on our watch came in (it was the first clover leaf epic)

There I worked on all sorts of bikes, I was servicing forks on the pavement at the prologue, one of those was for Mark Fish, I have never met such an appreciative guy.

I worked on Suzi's rear shock at Greyton (if I recall)

I was privileged to repair Tom Ritchey's wheels for him after a tough and rocky stage.

We eventually got hunted down by quite a few foreigners wanting us to do all sort of repairs on their bikes.

It was great, they were happy to pay and then still add beers to their gratitude .

sounds like a great life experience. ....can't find a thumbs up and clapping hands icon whilst browsing on my cell, but know that it is intended.

Besides the big corporation attitude bullying small canadian bike shops, it's like specialized falls into that category of must have items for your joburg boytjie that thinks he has arrived.

Drive a BMW

Wear a Tag Heuer

Play with taylormade clubs

Ride a specialized

dont get me wrong, the above are all good products, but its for those people that dont really know the difference and only believes in the brand because everyone else tells them its great.

Id much rather support smaller and lessor known boutique brands that offer real quality and something unique.

Ok so let's see ...

I drive a Kia

Wear a Festina

Don't own clubs

Ride a Specialized

So what am I?

You are unique......just like everyone else

I strongly disagree. I drive a BMW, and I use a variety of Specialized gear. Why? Because of very specific technical attributes.

You may not know this, but almost all BMWs have close to perfect 50/50 weight distribution across front and rear axles. Does this make a difference? When pushing hard through into sweeping bends, yes. They also have a level of steering weighting (even with the new electrically-assisted technology) which I have simply not felt in any products from Mercedes or the VAG stable. Combine this with typical Beemer suspension dampening characteristics and you have a vehicle which really does provide incredibly good feedback through the steering wheel. This is why I've just bought my second one, not because I think it's a cool brand to own. Does this mean I blindly rave about everything BMW? No, there are a few models in the range which lack the suspension feel I'm talking about. I won't buy them.

Same with Specialized. In 25 years of cycling I've used many, *many* shoes and helmets and ridden several dozen different bikes. Mostly, Spez gear has been really comfortable and fits me well. Does this mean I like all Spez gear blindly? No. The Prevail helmet for example simply doesn't fit my head well, and I'm personally not particularly fond of the lines of the Stumpy FSR, even though it's technically a really well-rounded bike and feels really lively when pushed hard.

Sweeping statements are generally stupid.

I strongly disagree. I drive a BMW, and I use a variety of Specialized gear. Why? Because of very specific technical attributes.

You may not know this, but almost all BMWs have close to perfect 50/50 weight distribution across front and rear axles. Does this make a difference? When pushing hard through into sweeping bends, yes. They also have a level of steering weighting (even with the new electrically-assisted technology) which I have simply not felt in any products from Mercedes or the VAG stable. Combine this with typical Beemer suspension dampening characteristics and you have a vehicle which really does provide incredibly good feedback through the steering wheel. This is why I've just bought my second one, not because I think it's a cool brand to own. Does this mean I blindly rave about everything BMW? No, there are a few models in the range which lack the suspension feel I'm talking about. I won't buy them.

Same with Specialized. In 25 years of cycling I've used many, *many* shoes and helmets and ridden several dozen different bikes. Mostly, Spez gear has been really comfortable and fits me well. Does this mean I like all Spez gear blindly? No. The Prevail helmet for example simply doesn't fit my head well, and I'm personally not particularly fond of the lines of the Stumpy FSR, even though it's technically a really well-rounded bike and feels really lively when pushed hard.

Didnt mean to offend, my wife drives a bmw and its a great car. It's just like there's this thing in Jhb that if you own the combination of mentioned brands then you've made it. Its what the boet's aspire too...

You may not know this, but almost all BMWs have close to perfect 50/50 weight distribution across front and rear axles. Does this make a difference? When pushing hard through into sweeping bends, yes. They also have a level of steering weighting (even with the new electrically-assisted technology) which I have simply not felt in any products from Mercedes or the VAG stable. Combine this with typical Beemer suspension dampening characteristics and you have a vehicle which really does provide incredibly good feedback through the steering wheel. This is why I've just bought my second one, not because I think it's a cool brand to own. Does this mean I blindly rave about everything BMW? No, there are a few models in the range which lack the suspension feel I'm talking about. I won't buy them.

Very well said, BOET.

;)

Didnt mean to offend, my wife drives a bmw and its a great car. It's just like there's this thing in Jhb that if you own the combination of mentioned brands then you've made it. Its what the boet's aspire too...

generalisations will always upset someone. If you go through life never upsetting anyone then you've not lived

generalisations will always upset someone. If you go through life never upsetting anyone then you've not lived

True words.

Also, Zeepee, no offense taken. I just wanted to state the facts.